Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

New member, first time poster. I have been tire kicking bikes for some time as it has been a while since owning and I am ready to pull the trigger on a FZ-09 (vs buying a used bike which I also considered).

I am in Los Angeles and have several dealers in the area. Especially for my color of choice (orange), everyone is quoting $6999 but what is reasonable for an OTD price? (or more specifically...what are reasonable dealer shipping and prep costs).

I realize this question is common...and I did read the existing posts, but a lot of the posts are from a year or so ago...I feel like given the FY15s are here I should be in a better bargaining position.

Thanks for any help!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Your "bargaining position" is only ass good as your ability to find an honest Stealership in your local area. Good luck with that.....

Damn spellcheck

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If you've been quoted $6999 for a brand new '14 model, I'd say that was pretty reasonable. That's more than $1000 less than the '15. If it's used with some miles on it, I'd negotiate with them, or keep looking around.

As far as dealer prep, tax, license etc., tell them you'll give them $6900 cash out the door-all fees and taxes included...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you've been quoted $6999 for a brand new '14 model, I'd say that was pretty reasonable. That's more than $1000 less than the '15. If it's used with some miles on it, I'd negotiate with them, or keep looking around.

As far as dealer prep, tax, license etc., tell them you'll give them $6900 cash out the door-all fees and taxes included...
This is a lot more aggressive than where I am right now in the conversation. Is this realistic? (personally, I feel like $8K with everything is what a good price should be in southern CA given our tax rates).

·
Super Moderator
4,412 Posts
From what I've heard, $8K out the door in California would be a good deal.

When I was shopping in Georgia last March, I emailed a bunch of dealers with what I would pay in cash
and told them I could be on their doorstep the next morning if I could get out the door for $7996 including:
all taxes, fees, title and tag. I got four dealers that said, "come on".

It was so easy, I have to think I could have done better. No matter. I had just sold a 2008 Tiger 1050 the week before
for $7950 and I was thrilled to throw in another $46 for a new bike.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Got mine 8500. OTD in HI , which I thought was good deal considering the shipping fees , usually all bikes are at least 1000$ more than retail for shipping reasons which is bogus because we are closer then Cali to Japan ;)
2015 yellow .

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Dalex-the Hawai'i Yamaha dealers buy directly from Japan through the distributor Puresports-the bikes don't ship from Cali. As a side note, since Puresports is the sole distributor and contact for all Hawai'i Yamaha bikes, Yamaha Corporate in Cypress cannot force ANY Hawai'i dealers to do anything service or recall related. I just tried to contact the only Big Island Yami dealer about the factory reflash for mine and the answer was a 'sorry, can't help you until Puresports issues the TSB', which they haven't done yet and I was told probably never will. But I want mine done and I will be pursuing this until I force someone's hand...ridiculous.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Aloha Braddah,
i asked kris kiser about the re flash and he said they could...?
I had them install a pipe and pwr commander and remapped before I took it home .
Having worked there I know they do yamaha warranty work I've seen it done as to wether or not they had to ,I' can't say.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Aloha Braddah,
i asked kris kiser about the re flash and he said they could...?
I had them install a pipe and pwr commander and remapped before I took it home .
Having worked there I know they do yamaha warranty work I've seen it done as to wether or not they had to ,I' can't say.
Aloha Dalex-didn't know you were on the BI as well! Talked with Kellen in service today and he told me no can until Puresports issues the TSB-regardless of what Yami corporate has directed its dealers to do. I know Kris, and work with his brother Kerry and am good friends with Will, so maybe as the GM Will can contact Puresports and get this moving forward. Being where we are, it's just not feasible for me to yank my ECU and send it off to the mainland to get it reflashed-can't afford the bike to be down for that long. But would like to get the factory flash done because on the '14's, the throttle kind of sux-making it hard to be smooth coming on power out of a corner.. I've gotten used to it, but would prefer not to have to live with it knowing there's a 'fix' available.

·
Registered
857 Posts
You have to remember we have to pay the dealers a fair price. They need to make some money to stay in business. I know some dealers will rape a buyer, but if the guy wants your return business, he will step up with a fair price.
Kind like sex, if you can't look them in the eye after, it wasn't the right thing to do. Also you have to laugh!

I sorry I didn't provide any valid information, I paid $7999 OTD the bike was $7676, the rest was tax and doc fee. I was and am pleased with the purchase.

Ride Safe.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
You have to remember we have to pay the dealers a fair price. They need to make some money to stay in business. I know some dealers will rape a buyer, but if the guy wants your return business, he will step up with a fair price.
Kind like sex, if you can't look them in the eye after, it wasn't the right thing to do.

Ride Safe.
Generally speaking, it's understood in South Florida that stealerships process every deal as if they'll Never see you again. It becomes a Self Full-filling Prophecy....Bad Business Model IMHO

Reactions: alnbama

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I don't feel bad for my dealer, they sticker the 09 at $6799... No one is asking for a deal, they are giving it freely.
You would find shopping for a new MC in South Florida or Southern California quite disturbing. It would be a real (frustrating) eye opener.

Consider yourself very fortunate to have an honest accommodating Dealership.:cool:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts