Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, im a new member, so this will be my first post. i am mostly happy with my bike, but i was wondering what people have done to change the color of the frame on their 09s. in a perfect world, i would buy the silver frame oem and just swap it to my bike, but im pretty sure that would be labor intensive, aka paying a shop plenty of money to do so. i have the black frame and i want it to be silver like on the orange ones. is sanding/sandblasting an option? could i strip the paint somehow? what about vynil wrapping? somewhat mechanically inclined, so if i had to take off the tank and a few other parts to have easier access to the frame in order to strip the paint, i could do it. i just want to know what anyone else out there has done to alter the color of their frame.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I don't see any good way to do it on the cheap.

Black is beautiful.

[On the Internet no one knows you're a dog]

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
you can do it by masking off the rest of the bike, there's a pic floating around of someone who did it. I've done it on my old Buell swing arm and worked out very well. best option would be to replace, but not needed unless you really have a bad case of OCD. I've got to do some touch up on the left side of the frame due to rubbing from the Ermax radiator covers that were on the bike previously, about a 4-1/2" line made by the cover wore through the paint.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Puskintyo,

I had/have a silver framed FZ-09 and the thing that bugged me with the painted silver frame is the swing arm did not match the frame. I tried to have my silver frame and swing arm sand blasted and the guy at the place I have used for other projects told me to have it chemically stripped. He said it is cheaper and not as harsh on the metal. So I did. It was a 3-5 day project to take it apart and re-assemble the complete bike. It took a few days for the place to strip it. When I got the parts back from the stripper it looked like the frame had been left under water. Weird marks all over it. Before assembly, I used Scotch Brite to get the look I wanted. It has been about a year and I don't have any finish (clear coat) on the frame. It is raw aluminum.

FZ-09 Raw.jpg

I say go for it if you really want to do it!

-Shannon

·
Registered
137 Posts
Puskintyo,

I had/have a silver framed FZ-09 and the thing that bugged me with the painted silver frame is the swing arm did not match the frame. I tried to have my silver frame and swing arm sand blasted and the guy at the place I have used for other projects told me to have it chemically stripped. He said it is cheaper and not as harsh on the metal. So I did. It was a 3-5 day project to take it apart and re-assemble the complete bike. It took a few days for the place to strip it. When I got the parts back from the stripper it looked like the frame had been left under water. Weird marks all over it. Before assembly, I used Scotch Brite to get the look I wanted. It has been about a year and I don't have any finish (clear coat) on the frame. It is raw aluminum.

View attachment 146538

I say go for it if you really want to do it!

-Shannon
Brushed raw frame looks beautiful, along with the opened up subframe. Where did you put all the electronics?

·
Premium Member
2,552 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts