Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Opinions on which bike to get Fz-07 Vs Fz-09

145K views 66 replies 38 participants last post by  weaponzero 
#1 ·
First off would like to say thanks for the welcome to the forum. So I've been looking to get a motorcycle for a while now and I'm really set on either the Fz-07 or the 09. However I really like the 09's because of the color options and the way it looks. People are going to ask my riding experience, which on the street is none. However I have been riding dirt-bikes for 6 years and am now looking to get on the road. I have read the forums about the 09 not being a beginner bike which I won't argue at at all. Just the price point between the two bikes is really minimal and I want to get the most for my money. I don't want to get the 07 and then later wish it was the 09. I'm not an overzealous rider by any means. I feel fairly confident I could handle this beast with respect. Just looking to get input on which you guys would recommend.

#3 ·
I rode both and they're both great bike. I rode dirt a lot back when I was a kid... way different. In your case the FZ07 would be a better choice IMO. I'm sure that you are more than capable to handle the FZ09 but the riding style is different and it's so easy to get over your head on the FZ09! On the other hand, the FZ07 is a better bike right out of the box (Power put aside) Get one and I'm sure if you don't beat it up too much you can trade it in a year or two from now and still have a good price for it.

You know better... I agree that price point go big early totally make sense.

#4 ·
+1 I'd like to add I know quite a few riders with many years, and more importantly miles, of experience that chose the 07 over the 09. The 09 has some weaknesses that are not apparent on the 07. Don't be fooled into thinking the 09 is far superior for a few dollars more. They are both great bikes but as Marthy suggested the road is a totally different animal than what you've been riding. It's waaaay easier to get in over your head on the 09.

#5 ·
The main problem with the 09 is the motor easily out drives the suspension. So you will need to upgrade it if you are a spirited rider. I would imagine the 07 has much less power/ tq. would be more stable in its stock form.

Reactions: marthy
#7 ·
WTF does that mean....??? He obviously doesn't know....!!!!

Me thinks you're just trying to confuse him.........:cool:

Reactions: JARVIS
#8 ·
My background is similar to yours although I'm missing all that dirt exp. You're correct in assuming it's certainly possible to get in over your head "if" you're not careful. I've got the 09 and No regrets, but I often think about how I'm riding a fast bike kind of slow, whereas if I'd waited for the 07 I might be riding a slower bike faster... Spend you're first several months in "B" mode and I'm sure you'd have no regrets.:cool:

A good compromise might be to get the Rapid Red 07 because everyone knows the Rapid Red Bikes are the Fastest Yamaha makes! :)

Reactions: JARVIS and mralandy
#10 · (Edited)
My background is similar to yours although I'm missing all that dirt exp.
You have a good sense of humor.

I consider myself an 850 rider. Your first road bike might set the bar for a lifetime. Are you a cityslicker , big town full of riders and do you have friends with newer motorcycles? Steve101 is right that riding fast on a slower bike is usual. I Expect r3's to be passing me next year. I might pass them back on one wheel but will likely let them go.

#11 ·
My first ever motorcycle is the FZ-09 and I've had it for 7 months now and just rolled over 10000 kms and I have zero regrets about getting the 09. I also had no street experience and some sporatic dirt riding when I was a teen and I feel anyone can ride this bike as long as you start with a healthy amount of respect for the thing. If you're mature and cool headed then I'd say get the 09 but if your a bit of a loose cannon then stay with something less powerful.

Reactions: clu801
#12 ·
I was in the market for a sport bike, I've always ridden dual sport before and never had a sport bike.

Reasons I chose the FZ09 over the FZ07:

3 cylinders on the 09

3 riding modes on the 09

Over 100 hp (I was tired of the sluggish DRZ)

Taller seat height, (not by much but the bike felt bigger under me, and i'm a taller guy so this was important.

The final and maybe the most important deciding point, is that I got the bike a little under 8K OTD, it was owned previously by a guy who only put around 1000 km's on it. His wife found out about the bike and made him sell it back to the dealer. So I got a huge discount. No brainer spending a few hundred more dollars for all that extra bike.

So I guess it depends on your budget and how big you are, riding skill comes into play a bit but with the fixed ECU's on the 2015's it shouldn't be as much of an issue. Ride in B mode for a while as you get used to the bike.

#13 ·
Xeial, you are in exactly the same boat as I. I'm looking for my first street bike. Like the previous poster mentioned, only you will know the level of comfort you will have with a powerful bike and also knowing your riding style. I know many young kids who get their "crouch rockets" and have survived. You must respect your bike and it's capabilities. I've heard a comedian once say "You can't fix stupid."
I've already make my mind and will be getting a 09 very soon. I know myself all too well that if I got a 07, I'd want to upgrade in a few years.

#14 ·
It all depends on what you want. Do you want the extra power of the 09 that will float the front wheel in 4th gear when the stock suspension squats? Do you want 20% less fuel consumption of the 07? Are you just looking for a fun street bike to ride? Either will do! Are you looking for a bike that will entertain your thirst for POWA! (the 09 will do that) Insurance will be cheaper with the 07. Maintenance will be about the same for both, save the tire changes... ;)
I guess you need to assess what you intend to use the bike for, and how easily it fits into your life and your particular riding style. I still look for a time a place to use the 09 to it's fullest almost every time I ride... I really enjoy having the power available if the opportunity presents itself. Maybe you do too? If so, the 09, with respect and restraint, may be your best choice.

#15 ·
I have no idea why first time bike owners think they are keeping the first bike for years and years...but they never do. The average ownership is 18 months. You might as well ask..."how fast can I die"? It's like...."how much horsepower can I get for the least amount of dollars". Bad idea. Very bad. Also I have no idea why first time bike owners only consider price when buying a bike.

And EVERY single time the experienced guys say ..."don't get a 100hp bike as your first bike"....they do anyway. It defies logic. So really....why ask in the first place?

Reactions: marthy
#18 ·
I appreciate all the input, but this bike will probably be a bike I will have for 3-4 years. Also I didn't only consider the price points at all, I only stated that there was a minimal difference and asked opinions on the matter. Maybe your just tired of seeing posts about this topic. I wouldn't have created this thread if I didn't want advice on your guy's experiences. Also wouldn't have wasted my time with this if I already knew my decision. That being said I really just want a bike to ride back roads on and cruise around town, but I also want to be able to open it up when the opportunity presents itself. I have read alot of peoples concerns on the 14 09's with the suspension and the throttle response. Was wondering if yamaha addressed those concerns with the 15 models. Thanks for all the advice.

#17 ·
First off would like to say thanks for the welcome to the forum. So I've been looking to get a motorcycle for a while now and I'm really set on either the Fz-07 or the 09. However I really like the 09's because of the color options and the way it looks. People are going to ask my riding experience, which on the street is none. However I have been riding dirt-bikes for 6 years and am now looking to get on the road. I have read the forums about the 09 not being a beginner bike which I won't argue at at all. Just the price point between the two bikes is really minimal and I want to get the most for my money. I don't want to get the 07 and then later wish it was the 09. I'm not an overzealous rider by any means. I feel fairly confident I could handle this beast with respect. Just looking to get input on which you guys would recommend.
I'm probalbly way older than you but came to street bikes recently via the FZ09 after 30 years of off-road "dirt bikes". Some dirt bikes are very quick... as you probably know. The first time I rode the FZ09, it felt like a "dirt bike" to me... position, weight, quickness, acceleration... especially compared to "sport bikes"; cruisers, etc. I rode the FZ in B Mode for months since the other modes were herky-jerky and the engine is so powerful it is "easy" to apply too much power... the big difference between dirt bike off-road and this one on pavement is when the dirt-bike power hits, the rear wheel can spin (easily) but the FZ wheel has immense traction on pavement, hence easy wheelies...and acceleration. Now with the flashed ECU and some suspension upgrades, it feels OK in STD mode.

WIthout knowing how you are going to ride on the street, or where, or what you want to do... it's hard to say much but I do not regret having the 09... it's a great motorcycle. The 07 might suit your needs/wants but if you handle dirt bikes well, the 09 will feel great. The 07 is not the same... similar but not the same.

Test ride both... it will tell you a lot.

Reactions: clu801
#20 ·
For your first bike? Neither, get an Sv650, you'll save tons of money. Then get an Fz-09 down the road if you still want one.

Dirtbike experience only transfers over the basics of how to ride a motorized bike.
Once you are on the road it is an entirely different animal.

#48 ·
I have had nearly 15 different bikes in my 30 years of riding, and the SV650 is one of the funnest bikes i have ever owned, its outstanding for both beginners and experienced riders. that being said I think if you know your own limits and respect the machine, any bike will work for you. I have had friends that start riding on R1's and never had an incident because they respected the power. Only you will know what you should/shouldn't buy or what you can/can't handle. Start slow on whatever machine you choose, let yourself get familiar with the bike and it with you.

#21 ·
The 07 was not out when I bought my bike but I would have bought the 09 anyway....but that's me, not you....anyway,they are both great bikes so either one would be fine....but you have to make that decision for yourself..no one here can tell you which bike would fit you better.

#23 ·
Bar none the FZ-07 is the better choice for anyone not willing to dump some money into their bike immediately after purchasing it. The FZ-09 has a better engine, yes, but it badly needs suspension work. The FZ-07 has a little bit less power, but it's still powerful and quick and pretty beastly compared to other bikes in its class. And the best part is, it's just fine as it is. No mods needed unless you're a very skilled rider who feels comfortable riding on the street at a pace that's generally best reserved for the track. And considering the lack of street miles, a slightly tamer bike might be better anyway.

If you are dead set on the 09, however (and I can't blame you) be prepared to invest in a Penske or Ohlins shock out back ($600-$1000 depending on which one you get) and springs/oil up front.

#24 ·
Agree with Weapon here. The FZ07 is a step down to a FZ09 but still a great ride with respectable power. That thing still power wheely in first gear! Not so many entry level bike does... a 300cc is entry level, not a 700cc. At 7K you can also buy a use R1, doesn't make it a smarter choice.

I've been riding since I'm 6yo. When I got back into riding after a very long break... I went with the FZ6R. Handling a R1 wasn't the issue... but I play smart and get something to get back in riding. Glad I did... 46K miles of happiness later I'm still using the 6R on regular basis. There's more to it than just raw HP.

Down the road its much easier to pass it in to yoyr girlfriend or wife to learn. That's an excellebt excuse to upgrade! LOL Worked great for me :)

#25 ·
I predict (here and now) that the OP will purchase the FZ09 because like most of us, he'll choose 115hp over 68 for the additional $1000. Throw out everything we all know about the reasons to justify the '07, the '09 is Bigger and Faster, and , when it comes to Bikes, the Male Ego always wants Bigger and Faster. Unfortunately, it's that simple.:cool:

#27 ·
If you have dirt experience then you are probably going to be more adept than many people with a fair amount of street experience. The 09 has a hit to it like a good MX bike, and it snaps the front up at will. I never really had a street bike that was as anemic as the B mode on the FZ, and I can say that I have used B mode only once in a major thunderstorm. I can always underride an overly powerful bike, but I hate overriding an under powered bike.

#28 ·
This may have been stated already, but if you are essentially a new street bike rider, why do you want a brand spankin' new bike. IMO a used, reliable, already scratched bike is the best bet to learn on. Anything in the 600cc range is plenty to start with, all dirt bike experience asside. And in most cases you can buy, and later sell a used bike for the same amount, the value doesn't depreciate much after some point. That being said, the 07 is more designed for the new rider. Only reason I can think to buy a brand new bike to learn on, is to look good while doing so.

Reactions: CD599
#33 ·
Most likely going to have to test ride both, I'm leaning with the 09 but the 07 might be just what I need. Also i might be overlooking it because the 09 is so damn sexy. I really like these two bikes because of the riding position, I'm not a fan of crotch rockets at all. Was actually considering a Harley for my first bike but then someone told me these bikes felt similar to dirt bike and it intrigued me quite a bit. Still a little while off until I buy one though, probably looking to get one around spring time. Thanks to everyone who posted their opinions they were all read, Thanks.

#32 ·
Whatever you decide to get, I would suggest signing up for a reputable riding course. I figured out my 09 pretty fast but the skills and defensive techniques I learned in my riding course have already saved me on several occasions.

#34 ·
(Definitely) test ride both! I enjoyed my 09. The 07 I haven't ridden yet, but this spring I'll go for a test ride. I do love the sound of the 07 with an Akrapovic :)
Test ride as many as you can. There may be other makes and models out there not on your radar, time to do some surfing! Take a trip to a motorcycle show and try on as many as you can.

Have fun and happy shopping!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.