Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the left side alternator cover. After I had finished up I noticed that I had torqued the three bolts that hold the rotor in are torqued wrong.. They should be 120 inch/lbs. I used loctite and tightened them to 96 inch/lbs. I don’t ride fast, usually stay around the speed limit. No drag strip take offs, don’t over rev the bike. Should I take it apart and torque it to the right spec?. Thanks in advance Dave

·
Registered
603 Posts
No need to take it apart. Just remove 1 bolt at a time and re-torque (after cleaning the threads and re-applying Loctite).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let’s start over my bike is a 2015 FZ 09. The Stator coil assembly needs to be set to the to the manual tq spec, 10 ft- lbs. I set them at 8 ft - lbs. In order to re torque them. In order to do this the water pump housing cover has to be removed. Next the crank case cover must be removed. Pull the cover off and remove the three bolts and re torque. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
593 Posts
Do the bolts pilot the stator in place, or is the stator located via dowel pins.
If the stator is located with dowels and I assume the bolts are quite long, then I would leave them as is.
If you end up with an oil leak or coolant leak and you have to take it apart to cure the leak, then yes go ahead and re-torque the stator bolts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No dowel pins, the bolts are 1.580 inches long. I’m tempted to leave it go. Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I replaced the left side alternator cover. After I had finished up I noticed that I had torqued the three bolts that hold the rotor in are torqued wrong.. They should be 120 inch/lbs. I used loctite and tightened them to 96 inch/lbs. I don’t ride fast, usually stay around the speed limit. No drag strip take offs, don’t over rev the bike. Should I take it apart and torque it to the right spec?. Thanks in advance Dave
Which Lotite you use? Red? Forgetaboutit. Blue? 96 to 120 is a pretty good margin. It is almost 25% of the torque strenth needed to hold that cover. Bikes shake A LOT. You are pretty much going to be OK. If it was my bike though...I'd do it over...

·
Registered
14 FZ09, 99 Vmax, 89 Venture
31 Posts
I would expect not to have trouble with that but I would also do it over anyway. Seems close but still better safe.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just do it. Its just time. the oil, coolant, and gaskets can be reused if kept clean. Don't just rip on the gaskets.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Leave it. The difference is inconsequential and the loctite probably adds lubricity that indicates a lower torque should be applied ,anyway

·
Registered
554 Posts
If your can ride 70-80 miles per hour for a few hours and you never think about things flying apart in your engine and how badly your failed at doing the right torque, then you are good to go. But if you think about it one time, pull it apart and do it right.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Leave it. The difference is inconsequential and the loctite probably adds lubricity that indicates a lower torque should be applied ,anyway
^^^This^^^
The Loctite altered your applied torque higher due to lubrication.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts