Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So fellas and gals, here's the situation. My local dealer where I've been buying my bikes from for years is having an end of season sale. What's on the menu you may ask, lots, but I was thinking that this might be a good opportunity to get that bike I've always wanted....

I've narrowed it down to a few choices: note all bikes are new, some are left over models.

2012 Hayabusa
2013 Hayabusa ABS ala Brembo
2013 GSX-R750
2014 GSX-R750
2014 GSX-R1000
2014 Yamaha YZF-R1

They sell Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki. There are lots of bikes that they're trying to clear out, the above listed is the short list. But, if you have another suggestion in mind, please feel free.

It's really my 09s fault, the acceleration and general tom-foolery reignited that SS fever, now I can't put it out...
My stable has an open spot, so which will it be and why?

Last opinion - keep my 09 and mod it? Or trade her in, they'd give me 1200 less than what I paid.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Never rode a Busa, but I always wanted to say I have the fastest production bike in the world. I know the Kawi is now but the Suzuki was for a while. Rode an R1 once but not with a crossplane crank. The wife's 2013 Gixxer 750 was a new leftover for $10,200. It's pretty bitchin'. Screams on top but has a raspy crackle from the exhaust from down low. I am suprised it passed noise regulations. Handling is awesome and ya gotta love Brembos. Her ZX9R felt quicker ( but wasn't ) and was a bit heavier.14K RPM in first is 80 mph. The GSXR is my favorite SS I just can't handle the riding position. Happy shopping!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ditto on the GSXR 750... the perfect displacement for a SS. Just enough power on the top end to make you go "WhaaaAaaaaAaaaaEeeeeeeee!"
I was eyeballing a leftover black 2012 before i got hooked by the 09 bug...

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
+1 for the R1 or 750 Gixxer, and not a Busa fan here either. Every time I see a Busa there's a big fat guy riding it....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lots of gixxer 750 fans here I see - and what's not to love about it. I'm not going to rehash it's review, but haven't read a negative one.

So one point of contention: Any worries about left over models, like say that 2012 Busa, sitting till next spring? That'll make it 3 years in a crate...no worries about piston rings sticking to cyclinder walls, etc. their bikes are stored in a non heated warehouse.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
So fellas and gals, here's the situation. My local dealer where I've been buying my bikes from for years is having an end of season sale. What's on the menu you may ask, lots, but I was thinking that this might be a good opportunity to get that bike I've always wanted....

I've narrowed it down to a few choices: note all bikes are new, some are left over models.

2012 Hayabusa
2013 Hayabusa ABS ala Brembo
2013 GSX-R750
2014 GSX-R750
2014 GSX-R1000
2014 Yamaha YZF-R1

They sell Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki. There are lots of bikes that they're trying to clear out, the above listed is the short list. But, if you have another suggestion in mind, please feel free.

It's really my 09s fault, the acceleration and general tom-foolery reignited that SS fever, now I can't put it out...
My stable has an open spot, so which will it be and why?

Last opinion - keep my 09 and mod it? Or trade her in, they'd give me 1200 less than what I paid.
What are you going to be using the bike for....commuting, twisties, track, some combination of these????

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone!!

If we tally-up all the votes, it'd be a landslide victory for the GSX-R70 - and deservedly so, the bike is that good.
I know, the Busa is a love it or hate it bike, it's a bit dated when compared to all the other bikes.... Decisions, decisions... :) well, one more day to think about it! One more sleep before Saturday.

I know I'd love that GSX-R750 to bits, it's amazing out of the box. But on the other hand, with the Busa, the ergos are better, and the bike would make all day riding easier, it's a competent sport bike, but not the razors edge, more a sports tourer these days.

Cost wise:
2014 GSX-R750 $12,499.00 CAD savings of $700.00 CAD
2012 Hayabusa $10,999.00 CAD savings of $4400.00 CAD

As I woke up this morning, these are the two finalist.

Thanks again everyone!!
What a terrible dilemma I'm in - NOT, lol :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What are you going to be using the bike for....commuting, twisties, track, some combination of these????
Highway rides to places 2-3 hours away on weekends with the boys, local solo riding at all other times.
No track work, I'll get a used bike for track duty.
No commuting duties.
Not a lot of twisties around here, sweepers mainly.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts