Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is why I can't have anything nice.

I was doing the 8000-mile service (at 7000 miles,) about to synch the throttle bodies, when I knocked the gas tank off the bike. The impact created two smallish dents and one ugly, medium-sized one, which was almost enough to make me burst into tears by itself. What really made me queasy was the fuel pump: the hose connector snapped off the plastic spigot, and it's all a unit construction. A new pump from Cheap Cycle Parts is about $260.

Sorry. Had to vent. Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
PDR to get the tank fixed. Sorry this is a major expensive for you. You did well to go with a bike under $10K. My last BMW cost me $26K, and I only was able to sell it for $15.5K used after two years. Toys are expenses that we should only buy what we can afford to have and maintain. Good luck with keeping yours looking and running well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the Parts Shark heads-up, DR. The expense is irritating but not crippling. Mostly I'm just sick at myself. I mean the thing is only seven months old. I'm as-we-speaking trying to repair the broken fuel pump spigot with JB Weld, but I give it only about a 20% chance of working.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I wouldn't experiment with a shade tree fix on the fuel system.

Buy the part, rub out the tank, ride on. It does suck, you just dented the banks motorcycle, wisdom (sometimes) comes with age.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JB Weld claims to be suitable for gas tank repair. My main doubt is its adherence to plastic. It'll have had 24 hours to cure when I get home, so I'm going to test it by trying to break the thing off. And if it doesn't come off in my hand and it seems to be air-tight... I'm still going to buy another pump because this fix is just too sketchy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts