Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen this mentioned so I thought I'd provide "one" solution for those who just can't justify spending hundreds on a new seat.

Mountain bikers and road cyclist have the same problems as those of you experiencing what pretty much boils down to as pressure points. Their seats happen to be a lot more uncomfortable than ours. Worry not, their solution can transfer over to the sport bike.

Let me introduce you to the chamois, or short liner, or cycling short.

Sports gear Sportswear Clothing Cycling shorts Black

$50 dollars on www.foxhead.com.

Additional benefits to a happy bum happen to be cooling, wicking, no chaffing, shifting. If you ride in jeans these will fit underneath. They are used instead of boxers, underwear.

There is versions with less padding on the hips if you are a hipster with jeans you can barely put on, or race leathers.

Clothing Cycling shorts Sportswear Shorts Active shorts

I ride a full suspension mountain bike, and happened to use fox gear which had a chamois. The first time I used it on the FZ it was a night and day difference in long ride comfort. I now wear it every time, and experience no more pain. I have suggested FOX, because it's what I use and know and they make excellent gear. But there is lots more different brands, styles, and levels of padding available.

No go forth and concur those pressure points, or better yet a chamois with one of your fancy seats.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Are they Machine Washable....???

I don't want my Boys sitting anywhere that's Not relatively easy to clean. :cool:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've used my bicycle shorts underneath as well, but they don't address the "cut in" at the inner thigh area. Do those fix that? I'm in the process of evaluating the Sargent seat on another thread so this interests me. Cool.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Been there, done that....I have a pair of mountain biking shorts with padding in them, and trust me, they do not work well on a motorcycle.
A bike seat is very narrow, so when you try and wear those on a motorcycle seat, the padding just wads up and feels very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been there, done that....I have a pair of mountain biking shorts with padding in them, and trust me, they do not work well on a motorcycle.
A bike seat is very narrow, so when you try and wear those on a motorcycle seat, the padding just wads up and feels very uncomfortable.
The FZ seat is very narrow. Are you saying ****** tighties are more comfortable?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled the liner inside out for you guys. Looks a bit strange, but doesn't this look more comfortable than underwear. The padding is engineered to not "bunch" , and moves and folds with the rider.

Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The FZ seat is very narrow. Are you saying ****** tighties are more comfortable?
its not as narrow as a bicycle seat, and I dont wear tighty whiteys ..those shorts are designed for a bike seat that is at best about 2 inches wide where your thighs are........
If it works for you ,thats great, but does not work for me...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Home - Moto-Skiveez

I have a pair of Motoskiveez, which are good for providing some added comfort on extended rides. They're sold in three variants, Sport, Adventure, and Cruiser with the padding located at specific pressure points relative to riding position. Considering the upright riding position of the FZ, I purchased the ADV, but may purchase a pair of Sport to see if they offer improved comfort.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Home - Moto-Skiveez

I have a pair of Motoskiveez, which are good for providing some added comfort on extended rides. They're sold in three variants, Sport, Adventure, and Cruiser with the padding located at specific pressure points relative to riding position. Considering the upright riding position of the FZ, I purchased the ADV, but may purchase a pair of Sport to see if they offer improved comfort.
Thats more like it..I may grab a pair of those to try out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Home - Moto-Skiveez

Thanks for posting the link, I wasn't aware there was motorcycle specific. I will be getting a pair.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I haven't seen this mentioned so I thought I'd provide "one" solution for those who just can't justify spending hundreds on a new seat.

Mountain bikers and road cyclist have the same problems as those of you experiencing what pretty much boils down to as pressure points. Their seats happen to be a lot more uncomfortable than ours. Worry not, their solution can transfer over to the sport bike.

Let me introduce you to the chamois, or short liner, or cycling short.

View attachment 9870

$50 dollars on www.foxhead.com.

Additional benefits to a happy bum happen to be cooling, wicking, no chaffing, shifting. If you ride in jeans these will fit underneath. They are used instead of boxers, underwear.

There is versions with less padding on the hips if you are a hipster with jeans you can barely put on, or race leathers.

View attachment 9874

I ride a full suspension mountain bike, and happened to use fox gear which had a chamois. The first time I used it on the FZ it was a night and day difference in long ride comfort. I now wear it every time, and experience no more pain. I have suggested FOX, because it's what I use and know and they make excellent gear. But there is lots more different brands, styles, and levels of padding available.

No go forth and concur those pressure points, or better yet a chamois with one of your fancy seats.
Good suggestions. I use the first ones that you linked and they did more to improve comfort than the Saddleman seat that I returned.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have an old pair of Fox Mx padded riding shorts. A left over from my dirt biking days.

I wear them for those long all day rides.

The work pretty well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I received the moto skiveez in the mail. I ordered the adventure, my thinking that we are in a similar riding position and maybe there was more padding since "offroad" was involving in engineering the padding. Sorry to report I took my first ride with the motoskiveez and they did not preform very well. They are not as comfortable to walk in, and I had some seat pain towards the end of a 1 hour ride.

The sport liners from Fox I suggested in my first post work so much better for me. I have no seat pain on an hour ride. I will be switching back to them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts