Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

I'm considering getting a one piece leather suit and wondering how the race suits feel on the fz-09 with the upright seating position. Any input appreciated on what your experience has shown.

I've always either had two piece or for the last 20 years textile stuff. I'm seeing track days in my future! Thanks.

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
Daniel,
Most one piece race suits are made to be comfortable when crouched over in a "sport bike" riding position, they allow enough room for that position. Since the FZ09 is more of an upright riding position, it would be even "roomier", because you aren't leaned forward quite as much. I've got a Pilot brand two piece that has the full circumference zipper, as is required by most Track Day organizations and I wear it on the FZ with absolutely no issues. The two piece, when fully zipped, fits almost identical to a one piece suit, but it's a lot easier to get it off and on. You will find opinions that two piece suits are not suitable for track days/racing, but if you buy a quality suit, there won't be any issues of the possibility of the zipper coming apart in a crash. I'm totally confident in mine, but fortunately, I haven't crash tested it and really have no desire to. :D Here is a pic. of mine that I had custom made at Pilot. If you notice on the front view, the line that is barely visible, right at the waist line, is where the zipper is.....you have to look close and when the suit is on and zipped together, it's not noticeable.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I would ask forum member Yattattak, I rode with him recently and he had on a full suit. Judging by his pace in the canyons, I would say he was pretty comfortable in it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'd suggest a zip together (full circumference) two piece without an aero hump. I'm running AGV Sport Willow pants with a Sport Dragon jacket.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I rode all last summer in my Pilot 1-pc custom suit on my V-Strom - that's even more of an upright riding position if anything and it was very comfy, no issues at all. The only major downside to wearing a 1-pc on the street is when you stop to go in for a meal somewhere, it's impossible to get comfy as you can take it off so you have to have the entire upper body portion hanging around your waist or of course, keep it on just unzipped which is not ideal, especially if it's really warm. For racing and track days, no way you'd catch me in anything other than a quality 1-pc suit. I've seen some scary stuff from 2-pc suits and textiles don't offer any real degree of protection IMO as they are generally so lose that the armour shifts on impact and all thats protecting your skin is a very thin, weak layer or textile - no thanks.

Only thing I change for the street is that I don't wear my chest protector, but always the back protector and suit, Sidi's, A-Star GP Plus gloves, and Bell Star lid.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I pulled the trigger finally on a Cortech Adrenaline RR suit. It came in the mail while I was on my 3000 mile road trip. Fit and finish is at least on par with my dainese pants that I've had for a while and love. They are heavy, snug, but should be a near perfect fit once broken in. Hanging out around the house in them to get them to stretch a bit. :D I gambled on these based on really positive reviews and crash pics of these leathers, combined with the good pricing! They seem to be $827 everywhere but found someone selling on ebay for $799 with the make offer button and they took my $699 offer. I'll keep this thread alive as they break in. My first ever track day in 6/28/14 at Sonoma! Really looking forward to this!!

Daniel

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Daniel,
Most one piece race suits are made to be comfortable when crouched over in a "sport bike" riding position, they allow enough room for that position. Since the FZ09 is more of an upright riding position, it would be even "roomier", because you aren't leaned forward quite as much. I've got a Pilot brand two piece that has the full circumference zipper, as is required by most Track Day organizations and I wear it on the FZ with absolutely no issues. The two piece, when fully zipped, fits almost identical to a one piece suit, but it's a lot easier to get it off and on. You will find opinions that two piece suits are not suitable for track days/racing, but if you buy a quality suit, there won't be any issues of the possibility of the zipper coming apart in a crash. I'm totally confident in mine, but fortunately, I haven't crash tested it and really have no desire to. :D Here is a pic. of mine that I had custom made at Pilot. If you notice on the front view, the line that is barely visible, right at the waist line, is where the zipper is.....you have to look close and when the suit is on and zipped together, it's not noticeable.

Hey Vern does the suit require a pilots license to operate? Lol.

·
Registered
957 Posts
As triplethreat mentioned, most one piece leather suits are tailored specifically for the extreme "tuck" riding position found on supersports, and if you try to adopt a more upright seating position like what the FZ has, you'll be fighting the suit and it won't be comfortable. However, here is a list I've compiled of suits from mainstream manufacturers that are exceptions:

Alpinestars Carver
Cortech Latigo
AGV Sport Willow (currently on closeout)
AGV Sport Bullet (replacement for the Willow)
Speed & Strength Triple Crown
Additionally, Teknic (who went under last year) made a suit called the Chicane which would be perfect for your needs if you can find one still on Ebay or closeout.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
weaponzero....I don't find that to be true with my Pilot suit...it's very comfortable on the FZ. The only minor issue that I have is that the legs tend to creep back down in my boots because of the upright riding position and I have to reach down once in a while and "pull" the knee pucks up just a bit. Otherwise, it's great for the FZ.

·
Registered
957 Posts
weaponzero....I don't find that to be true with my Pilot suit...it's very comfortable on the FZ. The only minor issue that I have is that the legs tend to creep back down in my boots because of the upright riding position and I have to reach down once in a while and "pull" the knee pucks up just a bit. Otherwise, it's great for the FZ.
I'm not familiar with Pilot as a brand. My only experience is limited to mainstream brands you can find at pretty much any gear reseller, so those were what I listed.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My suit is pretty snug on me when standing but feels much more normal sitting on the fz-09. I did read that the adrenaline is shorter in the front panels than the latigo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wear a one piece Alpinestars Atem suit and it's just as comfortable on my FZ-09 as it is on my R1 at the track.
Full suit gives me piece of mind...highly recommend getting the best gear you can afford.
Trust me...worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i'd go for a 2 piece based on the simple fact that in an emergency situation that involves a subway BLT sandwich and a sketchy bathroom - i can exit the suit quickly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts