Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you guys are most likely sick of hearing about wheelies but I'm going to risk it and ask one more time sincerely and seriously. I posted a little thread about the first wheelie I popped in 1st gear. What is troubling me is that the wheelies are not what I expected. 1st is very rough and I come back down like rock. 2nd gear is almost impossible for me at the moment. I have tried 2nd and can get it to power wheelie a little bit but it takes a lot of effort, and it seems like I have to beat on the bike like a see-saw to get that tire up. I have wondered if there is something wrong with my bike since I have seen such EFFORTLESS 09 wheelies on various videos. I know that it's most likely my lack of experience and knowledge of how to. I thought the bike would simply power wheelie itself with only the throttle input from the rider. I did notice that with my wife on the back it did pop up in 2nd at a low speed with only about 1/4 throttle. I figure the added weight to the back makes a big difference just like any type of lever. The low speed wheelies are what I want the most. Simply put, climb smooth and set down smooth,,,, without accelerating to 100 MPH! I have read about the clutch wheelies but I don't quite understand them. CLUTCH wheelie.... constant steady throttle.... flick the clutch and let out without letting off the throttle???? I have considered my height and weight also, at 5' 7" and 145lbs I'm fairly small and light. This bike does take off like a bullet, that I am sure of. Please fellas, if you have any advice or know of a source that would prove useful I would greatly appreciate it. This is the first new bike or sport bike I have ever owned and I want to be able to get the most enjoyment out of it as possible.:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems that it should have been more simple. Such as enough throttle at the right time and bang! the wheel is off the ground, no sitting way back on the passenger seat, loading the front forks and pulling up on them ect. What this bike did with my wife on the back, I'm considering somehow adding a little weight to the back without anything showing. That seems like cheating, but, the smoother the pickup the more safe it will be in my eyes. The 1st and 2nd gear wheelies are very violent and punishing to me and the front suspension. There has to be a better way.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Listen to v2Bob, he is definitely right. When your more comfortable, you may want to consider flashing the ECU to smooth out the throttle input. After adapting to that, then you will be able to control the wheelie better.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
This is the first new bike or sport bike I have ever owned and I want to be able to get the most enjoyment out of it as possible.:)
Then stop trying to wheelie.

Seriously.

There are a bazillion other riding skills that are infinitely more important than the ability to pop a wheelie on demand.

If you've spent a decent amount of time on this forum, you'll see that most of the time the first wheelie happens accidentally. I'll admit that my first wheelie was completely accidental... there's no shame in my game.

IMHO, you're focusing on the wrong thing.

Focus on becoming intimately familiar with the bike, on being smooth, on being smooth off the line, smooth on the throttle, smooth shifting, etc... and before you know it your front tire will be off the ground whether you intended it to be or not.

Popping a wheelie, while fun when it happens, is a very small sliver of the "enjoyment" pie.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Read Lucky_Devil post and there's no need to restate. He covered it all. Well said.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Read Lucky_Devil post and there's no need to restate. He covered it all. Well said.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
i agree if this is your first "street bike" and you dont have many miles on it i would just put miles on it with out wheelies to get really comfortable with your bike so when you try the wheelies you dont get suprised by something

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have to agree this bike wheelies like a dream. 2 gear wheelies are very easy to modulate. The only thing that has caught me by surprise was when I jumped on the throttle and I wasn't in the mode I thought I was. that will wake you up in a hurry :)
LRoss78550

P.S. In 1st gear VERY slight application of the rear brake seems to work better for me than using the throttle. JMO.
Keep the front tire on the ground or buy a used dirt bike and practice wheelies until you have a high degree of confidence. BTW coming off the back of the bike (even a dirt bike) really hurts your as* and that's if your lucky and the bike doesn't follow you.

·
Registered
555 Posts
"A" or "STD" mode.

2nd gear.

5000-6000 rpm.

Roll on throttle.

Power wheelies.

Modulate with throttle, cover rear brake in case you go too far.

I started off at those rpm's, just by slowly rolling it on and seeing if it came up. Slowly increased how much I rolled on the throttle, to increase the speed that it comes up. Now I simply exit a corner in 2nd gear, hit that rpm, nail it and feather the throttle whilst bird watching.

Multi skilling like a boss.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for failed attempts at the above.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lucky_Devil nailed it. Like others said, just keep riding which will give you a better feel for the bike, and thus, when the front end starts to get light through different gears and throttle positions. I doubt there's anything wrong with your bike.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I just rock 1st and 2nd gear power wheelies...I ride like a hooligan but I'm not about to pop the clutch and **** my pretty bike up.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My first street bike was a 2004 R1... Not a good beginner bike but I had ridden a bunch of other stuff that wasn't mine an immediately fell in love. On the R1, never did I ever mess with clutching up... 1st gear power wheelies was all I messed with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts