Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well at least for the near future and then some. Last Wednesday, I got home early from work and took the bike out for a spin. Rode about an hour out when I started back. Was coming down one of my favorite roads, little too much traffic to play, so cruising. An old fogie pulls up to a stop sign, looks both ways, does everything right, then he made eye contact with me, and like I wasn't there, pulled out turning left onto my road. I barely had time to touch the brakes. I don't think he knew I was there till I t-boned him in the left front fender.

Flipped over the vehicle, I think twice, and landed on my back, half on the sidewalk half grass. As far as I can remember I never lost consciousness and immediately felt the pain. Had to be airlifted to the trauma center. Ended up with a clean break through my right femur, both wrists shattered, and a torn ACL in my left knee. Have some serious problems in my right shoulder as well so probably getting another MRI on Monday.

This shit sucks. Finally stated therapy yesterday and today was able to walk about 20' with assistance. At least I'm here though and not in the morgue. All because Grandpa wasn't paying enough attention

So I think i am done with two wheels for a while, maybe one day I'll feel different but idk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well at least for the near future and then some. Last Wednesday, I got home early from work and took the bike out for a spin. Rode about an hour out when I started back. Was coming down one of my favorite roads, little too much traffic to play, so cruising. An old fogie pulls up to a stop sign, looks both ways, does everything right, then he made eye contact with me, and like I wasn't there, pulled out turning left onto my road. I barely had time to touch the brakes. I don't think he knew I was there till I t-boned him in the left front fender.

Flipped over the vehicle, I think twice, and landed on my back, half on the sidewalk half grass. As far as I can remember I never lost consciousness and immediately felt the pain. Had to be airlifted to the trauma center. Ended up with a clean break through my right femur, both wrists shattered, and a torn ACL in my left knee. Have some serious problems in my right shoulder as well so probably getting another MRI on Monday.

This shit sucks. Finally stated therapy yesterday and today was able to walk about 20' with assistance. At least I'm here though and not in the morgue. All because Grandpa wasn't paying enough attention

So I think i am done with two wheels for a while, maybe one day I'll feel different but idk

Wow this was last wednesday? So you have a broken femur and your walking already? Shattered wrists and typing on a computer? Thats really fast. heal up.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Omg!....dude, that is terrible! That sucks so bad, I just don't have words for it....especially that it was completely someone else's fault....that could literally happen to anyone. When you see someone in his position, what are you supposed to do, come to a complete stop in case he is a senile idiot???!! Unbelievable. I Wish you a speedy recovery....I can't believe that guy took motorcycling away from you, what a shame

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Definitely good to hear you're still kicking (at least with one leg) and not in the fridge! Sometimes people look right through you, seen it many times. I know you don't want to think about it now, but part of your rehab, really the final part, will be getting back on two wheels and trusting the other drivers again. If one day you can do that, consider yourself 110% healed. Speedy recovery! :)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Did the police report it as his fault? That sounds like a massive insurance settlement...not that you want to be all beat up...but you should be compensated for your pain & suffering

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow this was last wednesday? So you have a broken femur and your walking already? Shattered wrists and typing on a computer? Thats really fast. heal up.
They braced the bone with a rod and I am told it will withstand as much weight as I can stand pain. Still not sure how bad the acl is but is holding up. I have a tablet that I am swiping on lol not typing. Lots of oxycodone helps

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did the police report it as his fault? That sounds like a massive insurance settlement...not that you want to be all beat up...but you should be compensated for your pain & suffering
They did cite him at fault, and our lawyers are working on it. I'm really just focusing on recovery now and I'll let them do what they do. The wife is a wreck but I don't blame her. She's been a trooper, really a huge help

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I was in that good a shape and only 130lbs maybe lol. Oh yea and backed by billionaires lol. They're saying 4-6 for full recovery so I'm hoping to be fairly normal in 2 1/2 or so

·
Registered
244 Posts
And congrats in NOT being a 'One Less FZ Rider'.. we need you, grind through the PT with a smile!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Damn man, sorry to hear about this...glad you're going to be alright eventually though, that's the most important part. That's about a 10/10 on the pain scale!!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I hate to hear these bike crash stories....especially when it's no fault of the rider. Good luck man...and heal well. Make sure you do ALL the physical therapy or you'll regret it later.

Reactions: rhettmania

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hate to hear these bike crash stories....especially when it's no fault of the rider. Good luck man...and heal well. Make sure you do ALL the physical therapy or you'll regret it later.
Yea man I really hate it too. If it was my fault I could try to learn and deal, but this one was actually 100% not my fault. Was completely helpless The whole time about it

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Glad to hear you are still kickin. Sorry about everything else. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
276 Posts
Man what a bummer. Your are broke up but able to walk. So things could be worst. You just got yours too.
I hope you recover well and will ride again.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I know it is a real crap shoot when we all ride through intersections with cars stopped waiting to pull out. Also in the mountains with the deer population is typically 800 percent higher than 10 years ago. Your number was up (call if fate or whatever) and the old guy I bet feels sorry he hurt you but nothing reduces you pain no matter what happened. You sound like a survivor going to aim at getting well. Man, I wish you all the success in getting there. You may not see day to day progress but your wife will, they notice the small things.

You are lucky we have medical procedures that are so good today that I bet you will be pretty normal once you heal fully. That metal in you body is just there to hold things in place till you own bones grow back together, and they will do that faster than you think. I have $21,000 dollars of titanium in my upper neck and spine (2007). I took up riding again in 2009 with a Honda 400 twin cause I just felt like it was time. If you do or don't, it will be your choice. You got lots of time to make that one.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts