Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. New member, I've been considering buying a '15 yellow FZ9 which I've fallen in love with. I've been reading here for a week or so, and all it does is encourage me to buy. I've ridden for 35 years, evolving (after 2 years of playing in the dirt on a Suzuki RM125) from a Kawasaki 1973 500 H1 2 stroke to a Kawasaki KZ1000 to a '79 Suzuki GS1000, a major upgrade handling wise and a bike I owned for 20+ years, also an '80 Suzuki GS1100, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 (my favorite to date), a 2003 Yamaha FJ 1300, and to my present ride, a 2004 Suzuki Hayabusa. Father time has turned me 57, and the FZ9, with it's light weight and peppy triple has me intrigued. The suspension upgrade is a given and I've prepared myself to spend $1500 to $2000 on such. I could have gone to the dealer and sealed the deal today, but a powdering of snow dissuaded me. I also have a 2003 yellow Yamaha Zuma scooter which would match it perfectly.

Help me. Should I jump?

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
With your years of riding experience, I see absolutely NO reason not to get the FZ09 if that is the bike you want. We are close to the same age (I'm 60) and the FZ09 is my 26th bike........and the most fun bike I've ever owned.......including a 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 triple back in 1974. I've had 4 different liter bikes, a handful of 600cc supersports, dirt, 4 wheelers, you name it. Welcome to the forum and "congrats" on your new FZ09 that you will soon purchase! :cool:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes, go for it. There are quite a few of us way past 60... and enjoy riding the FZ all over the place.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Help me. Should I jump?
Jump! I'm 62 now & the 09 is the perfect bike for us old, experienced riders. This thing is so light it's like a 100HP bicycle.
Yes, jump. Although I'm not an old, experienced rider yet... only 54... the FZ-09 is the motorcycle I would buy again after 13 months of ownership.

My FZ-09 and Morphous keep good company in the garage, an FZ-09 and a Zuma would get along famously.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yep, 62 here and really enjoying my -09. I like the stock suspension just fine. Only increased the rear rebound dampening. You can make it into a commuter too.
It makes my Wee feel like a 1K bike by comparison:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Absolutely. This bike provides a great ride chock full of fun, plus you should trust your gut. Fawning over this bike and doing the research, you know you want it, and you will know that it was a great decision.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow thanks for the replies guys. I've been leaning hard and you guys knocked me off the fence. I just hope it's still there! I'll probably go by the dealer tomorrow (Sunday) and check through the window that it's still there :).

.......including a 1972 Kawasaki H2 750 triple back in 1974
That must have been quite the machine. I still remember the rush of the 500 hitting the powerband, and the extra 250cc must have stretched your arms.

This thing is so light it's like a 100HP bicycle.
Being a cyclist as well, I've had that same thought. The Zuma is so light, and modded, peppy enough to be a blast. The 550 lb Busa sits too much anymore.

The FZ sounds like the perfect answer. I'll post pictures as soon as I get her home.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There are lots of people on here with lots of experience on many different bikes over the years. I have driven lots of bikes over the years as well and I have to say the 09 is my favorite bike so far.

Reactions: Brvt1000

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Screamingyellow wrote:
That must have been quite the machine. I still remember the rush of the 500 hitting the powerband, and the extra 250cc must have stretched your arms.
I do too, I had a 1971 500 triple before I bought the 750. I spent the entire summer season drag racing the H2 and had a ton of fun that year. Every Wednesday evening at Gateway International (wasn't near as nice as it is now) and every Saturday evening down in Pevely, MO......they had an 1/8 mile strip there, but it was still a lot of fun.....it just got over a lot quicker! :cool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm also a cyclist. Been riding continuously for over 30 yrs. now; raced for 23 of those years. Trying to reach 12k mi. this year. The bicycle always comes first so don't get to ride the motor as much as a would like.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm also a cyclist. Been riding continuously for over 30 yrs. now; raced for 23 of those years. Trying to reach 12k mi. this year. The bicycle always comes first so don't get to ride the motor as much as a would like.
I had the opposite transition and my beer gut has paid for it haha.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I had a used H1 for about a week. I couldn't turn it or stop it. I stuck with the R5 Yamaha. I am 54 and still ride with aplomb. Go for it. Once the suspension is dialed, you will love it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
There are lots of people on here with lots of experience on many different bikes over the years. I have driven lots of bikes over the years as well and I have to say the 09 is my favorite bike so far.
That says a lot. Thanks. I drove by the dealer today (7 miles in light snow; I'm a 57 year giddy kid) and saw through the window that it was still there. Hopefully there wasn't a sold sign on it that I couldn't see. We'll see when this weather allows me to bring it home :snowman:

I had a used H1 for about a week. I couldn't turn it or stop it. I stuck with the R5 Yamaha.
Yeah I had a few terrifying moments on mine too. Learned a thing or too. The KZ1000 was the same handling wise. The GS1000 opened my eyes to what good handling does.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If you can't pick it up today, why don't you call them and begin to work out final numbers. Then cross shop other dealers in surrounding areas and negotiate the best price out the door. Then if you agree to the price, give a deposit on it and then on pick up day there is no haggling and it's all positive. Just a thought. Congrats on the new bike in advance.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you can't pick it up today, why don't you call them and begin to work out final numbers. Then cross shop other dealers in surrounding areas and negotiate the best price out the door. Then if you agree to the price, give a deposit on it and then on pick up day there is no haggling and it's all positive. Just a thought. Congrats on the new bike in advance.
I checked the two other nearest dealers and both were right at MSRP, $8190. I think I will check a few more and see if anybody beats it. Towards the end of the model year some deals are found, for instance the Speed Triple the local dealer has is a '14 and marked down, but the FZ9 or 7 haven't sat very long around here. They got two 7's in and both sold the first week. They carry Yamaha, Triumph and KTM. I love wandering the showroom :) Thanks for the thought.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I checked the two other nearest dealers and both were right at MSRP, $8190. I think I will check a few more and see if anybody beats it. Towards the end of the model year some deals are found, for instance the Speed Triple the local dealer has is a '14 and marked down, but the FZ9 or 7 haven't sat very long around here. They got two 7's in and both sold the first week. They carry Yamaha, Triumph and KTM. I love wandering the showroom :) Thanks for the thought.
Yeah man I'm excited for you! There is nothing sweeter then the anticipation of getting a brand new bike, and then when that day comes and you know it will be in the garage, there is nothing in the world that can bring you down from that high!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I walk mine back tire first into the garage for space that other bikes need. Easy with the side stand down even after a long ride.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts