Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014.09.06-Doing a skills practice course today on base-camp pendleton, i plan on being a RIDERS/INSTRUCTOR COACH for my Battalion...

20140906_869817594.jpg

20140906_7812811.jpg

20140906_1099035171.jpg

20140906_1354271708.jpg

Anyways, doing these skills riding, we are at 2nd gear the whole time, unless we have to shift down to1st...2 hours into this non stop im having a great damn time!---A TICKING / RATTLING SOUND JUST RANDOMLY COMES OUT OF NOWHERE, it started bugging the shit out of me, the sound was making it while on idle, even if im on a stop and on 1st gear hand on the clutch, sound is still goin'...

Took it out on the road, going into all the gears, the sound was just there, really irritating, i did it in all 3 modes as well ,at this point, i tried to pay attention to sound, to the symptons where it was coming from: when i am on the bike, i can hear the sound coming somewhere inside the top tank, when i dismount i hear the sound on the bottom right side engine of the bike.

I called the dealer, told them whats.going on, they just told me to bring it in monday ort tuesday since they were booked today, i called another full service shop, took it in as well and this guy, he was pretty cool, looked at it listened at it, but was not able to hear the sound, except, suggested me to get it dynotuned with a custom mapped from them since im running a map from dynojets website on my Carbon Akrapovic Full Exhaust.

I been doing alot of research in the past hour here ont he forum, but so many pages to read lol, sorry, any input will help,

I did just came back from outside started my bike up and there was no ticking/rattling sound, but then i revved it up to 7500~8500rpms, sound came out :-(

Is this CCT?Valve?Exhaust Leak?

Please advice, im considering my FZ09 down as of right now, until i get this ticking/rattling sound away, i may have to get my refund back for my trackday at auto clubs speedway Fontana ,Ca

One more thing, i did actually bought a extendes 5year service warranty for this bike as well:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My FZ is at 718miles, did the oil change at 550 miles with petroleum based oil, and always been filling her up with 91Octane Chevron

·
Registered
277 Posts
If it's a loud clicking (sounds kinda like marbles in a can...) then it's likely the CCT.

You can always take it in for warranty. Or you can replace it with a fully manual versions from APE or make your own with a set screw and flanged nut. Search around on here and you'll see many options.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
2014.09.06-Doing a skills practice course today on base-camp pendleton, i plan on being a RIDERS/INSTRUCTOR COACH for my Battalion...

View attachment 9376

View attachment 9377

View attachment 9378

View attachment 9379

Anyways, doing these skills riding, we are at 2nd gear the whole time, unless we have to shift down to1st...2 hours into this non stop im having a great damn time!---A TICKING / RATTLING SOUND JUST RANDOMLY COMES OUT OF NOWHERE, it started bugging the shit out of me, the sound was making it while on idle, even if im on a stop and on 1st gear hand on the clutch, sound is still goin'...

Took it out on the road, going into all the gears, the sound was just there, really irritating, i did it in all 3 modes as well ,at this point, i tried to pay attention to sound, to the symptons where it was coming from: when i am on the bike, i can hear the sound coming somewhere inside the top tank, when i dismount i hear the sound on the bottom right side engine of the bike.

I called the dealer, told them whats.going on, they just told me to bring it in monday ort tuesday since they were booked today, i called another full service shop, took it in as well and this guy, he was pretty cool, looked at it listened at it, but was not able to hear the sound, except, suggested me to get it dynotuned with a custom mapped from them since im running a map from dynojets website on my Carbon Akrapovic Full Exhaust.

I been doing alot of research in the past hour here ont he forum, but so many pages to read lol, sorry, any input will help,

I did just came back from outside started my bike up and there was no ticking/rattling sound, but then i revved it up to 7500~8500rpms, sound came out :-(

Is this CCT?Valve?Exhaust Leak?

Please advice, im considering my FZ09 down as of right now, until i get this ticking/rattling sound away, i may have to get my refund back for my trackday at auto clubs speedway Fontana ,Ca

One more thing, i did actually bought a extendes 5year service warranty for this bike as well:)
Which side of the bike is it coming from? If it's coming from the right side down near the clutch cover, it's possible your CCT is not tensioning correctly, the dreaded 'Tick'. Try to see if you here the same thing at idle, and at around 3-4 grand with the bike at operating temp. Under these conditions, try to disengage the clutch and see if it's still there...if it is, most likely it's your CCT. You've now joined a very exclusive, but uninteresting club...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, when im sitting down on the bike, in idle, i put my ear down in front of the top tank, i can hear ticking/rattling sound there, but when im off the bike and i hear a ticking sound on the bottom right side of the engine which will be the CCT fro research ive beein doing from the other threads...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
On A Riders Skills Course today and a TICKING/RATTLING SOUND JUST CAME OUT OF...

There are YouTube videos that showcase the CCT issue. This being one of them

If you hear the rattle come in around 3-5k rpm and then go away and if you can hear it tick at idle. Your CCT is shot. Go get a new one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are YouTube videos that showcase the CCT issue. This being one of them

If you hear the rattle come in around 3-5k rpm and then go away and if you can hear it tick at idle. Your CCT is shot. Go get a new one.
Thanks for this video..what is exactly being done here if i may ask? And what caused this ticking sound to just come out? Everytime i take my FZ09 out for a ride, i go crazy with this bike speedwise lol

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'd suggest you do a forum search for CCT issues specifically the thread "I got a tick" as it's been discussed at length.

In short the cam chain backs out, releasing too much slack causing a tick from the chain slapping.

Using a 3mm Alan key you can adjust the CCT and drop in a longer set screw to prevent the adjuster from backing out too much.

If your bike is under warranty still I'd suggest you go to the dealer and have them order you a new one and replace it for free.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd suggest you do a forum search for CCT issues specifically the thread "I got a tick" as it's been discussed at length.

In short the cam chain backs out, releasing too much slack causing a tick from the chain slapping.

Using a 3mm Alan key you can adjust the CCT and drop in a longer set screw to prevent the adjuster from backing out too much.

If your bike is under warranty still I'd suggest you go to the dealer and have them order you a new one and replace it for free.
Yes, i been on the thread for the longest time already today reading pages and pages of it hehehe, and yes my bike is under warranty, also bought her a 5 year yamaha full service warranty, ill have my FZ for 2 months on the 18th of this month, im a doing it yourself fix it kind of guy, but this problem, i will take it in the dealer, thanks for your help Beck...

Oh and with this problem, hopefully it gets.fixed, i really wanna hit up the track the 27th of this month, instead of me getting refund back

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
My CCT was back ordered for 3 damn months but it may be different now. 1000 miles on my new one and no issues.

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, i just dropped off my FZ09 today back at the dealer, they will work on it tomorrow, i pretty much told them to get it fixed and whatever they have to do with it, good thing the person who sold me the bike is a good friend of mine lol, so he gots my back as well, will keep updated,

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
How much fuel was in the tank? It is possible that you are hearing something loose resonating against the tank and you could only hear it with the fuel at a lower level, hence explaining why it occurred 2 hrs into your course.

I would look over everything for something loose.

BTW, I chased a strange rattle on a friend's r6 for hours before we dropped the exhaust and found a little rock rattling around in the exhaust...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How much fuel was in the tank? It is possible that you are hearing something loose resonating against the tank and you could only hear it with the fuel at a lower level, hence explaining why it occurred 2 hrs into your course.

I would look over everything for something loose.

BTW, I chased a strange rattle on a friend's r6 for hours before we dropped the exhaust and found a little rock rattling around in the exhaust...
The fuel gauges from what i remember was still at full, i did look at eveything if anything was.loosed too but , i did not find anything, i even took off my bellypan and looked over my exhaust, the headers etc, none find...i did tell my friend at the dealer and his boss whats wrong with it, the sound from top of tank, and the CCT. When i dropped off my FZ earlier today, since its maybe a 10mins ride to the ealer from my house, the ticking sound came out maybe 6mins to the ride and started just gettinf worse and it was.coming from the bottom right side of the engine, id like to do the youtube video on tightening it but, id rather just take it in, THANKS, hopefully they give me some news tomorrow within this week, i still havent called auto club speedway yet for my refund for the 27 of this month doingt rackdays

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
after 2 hours tooling around at 3-5 MPH, the oil was probably like water from being hotter than hell........dont be surprised if the noise cannot be duplicated while the bike is in the shop.

I would recommend a good synthetic 20/50 if your planning on using that bike for that job if you get it...and maybe a re flash to get the fan on at a bit lower temp.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts