Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This aired in December 2011.
I did it as a favor for the owner of the resort and then caught a lot of flack from the "locals".
Turns out not one of the local riders would go on camera to get any more people excited about riding that road.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Man, I cringe seeing the pics of shirtless women being dumped by their idiot biker boyfriends. Yikes! :eek:

But Les, you look super smooth, and it would be a pleasure to ride with you if you ever make it out west, or if I ever get out to the Dragon... :cool:(y)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Man, I cringe seeing the pics of shirtless women being dumped by their idiot biker boyfriends. Yikes! :eek:

But Les, you look super smooth, and it would be a pleasure to ride with you if you ever make it out west, or if I ever get out to the Dragon... :cool:(y)
I agree, you’re looking good on that VFR. Love the sound of the gear driven cams!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Great Video Shamrock, RYR, ride your ride!! I rode my FJR down Rt. 129 and Rt. 28 last Monday. They're not many riders on these roads this time of year and Kilboy Photos were 'nt even out. I had to slow on the west side of these mountains because of the heavy mountain dew. A few miles before Highlands NC, a road detour took me up Buck Creek Road. I'm guessing, a local in a Ford Ranger started to tail gate. Instead of pulling over and letting him pass FOOLIS PRIDE took over as I shifted down and twisted the throttle out of every curve. The Ford Ranger driver had skills and knew this road well. I'd pass other cars and he'd pass the same car around curves. He was hell bent on showing me that he was faster in his truck than I was. So after some peg scraping and wet roads I pulled over and let him pass just as Buck Creek Road emptied out into, a 42 degrees, Highlands NC.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy crap Camp, it's to cold up there right now!
Many years ago two of us on FJ1100s followed a "soccer mom" in a minivan over the mountain on 28 and we could barely keep up. She wasn't working hard, only crossed the center line when she had line of sight and never touched gravel on the shoulder. We still talk about her.
The rednecks in trucks are different because they have no concept of consequences.
We all need to be wary in these situations.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
Many years ago two of us on FJ1100s followed a "soccer mom" in a minivan over the mountain on 28 and we could barely keep up. She wasn't working hard, only crossed the center line when she had line of sight and never touched gravel on the shoulder. We still talk about her.
The rednecks in trucks are different because they have no concept of consequences.
I bet she has a Porsche in the garage for when the kids are in school. Or, a bike.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was out in California and rode on Rt 138 and Rim of the World (Rt 18) and would guess that it as challenging as Tail of the Dragon. What blew my mind was that absolutely everyone on that road thought they were F1 drivers. SUVs, minivans, dump trucks, tiny compact cars all driving maniacally. I'm just an average rider but there was virtually no other vehicle that was as fast as I was except for other bikes but these people were driving on the ragged edge trying not to be passed. I passed every vehicle I encountered but had to take a lot of chances as there were so many stretches where it was impossible to see more than a very short distance. There was 1 guy in a BMW (auto) that was crossing the center-line and shoulders and was so out of control that I was sure that he was gonna loop it. I saw an opening and blasted by him without much effort for me or the bike. Same thing with 3 Hardly riders that thought they were gonna get racey but they quickly realized they couldn't run with a sport bike and at least pulled over. Thank god because it was scary watching those baggers trying to ride hard on twisty roads. Sorta like watching bull riding without the rodeo clowns.

I wonder if there's something about motorcycles that makes some people in 4 wheel vehicles get over aggressive. Frequently I've gone to pass people on the highway and ended up doing 95 - 100 mph because they were hell bent on not letting me pass. This is a fairly common occurrence. I'm sure this happens to other riders.

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chester we could analyze these drivers for hours but I think it just comes down to simply them not being manly men!;)

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I never let them get a chance to race, I blast past before they know what's happening.
Besides, most cagers around here know that bikes are in another league.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts