Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 40 year flying career the time has finally come to pull the pin and start keeping my feet on the ground.

Gave my boss notice yesterday. Gonna be official this July.

We will move back to Fresno where I am from so as to be close to family and friends. Not to mention the fantastic roads of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

I noticed a few of you that live in that direction. We will have to plan a fun ride this fall when the temps begin to cool.

A dozen of us got together down in San Diego a few weeks ago and had a great time.:cool:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations, and have a great retirement! I retired in October 2013 after flying for 45 years. I don't miss it.

Ride Safe.
Don't think I will miss it either.

I have seen more than my fair share of hotel rooms.

Missed enough Holidays, birthdays, and kids ball games.

Endured enough cold soggy sandwiches, bouncing along in the clouds at FL380 while staring at the radar.

Think you get my drift.

45 years, that's impressive. What kind of flying? Who did you fly for?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Congratulations to you Hawk, when put down those wings and your still flying keep your eyes to the sky. So the po po don't give you any awards to!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Question I ask most to pilots is , in your free time do you get out and fly for fun?
Almost always the reply is No. I figured the initial turn on to learn was chitty chitty bang bang or barnstorming the sound of the old rolls Royce.
Living here on a flight line I get the A380 the antonov soon dreamliners approaching low.
I fly out tomorrow to another city watching more attendants and crew just as passenger.
I failed attendant school but held avop as a fueler ,mostly 777 747 A319 A320 .777 was quite a reach with a nozzle.
Now my thoughts go to cargo blimps with rv quality living and delivering cranes or heavy equipment supplies to remote locations.
Those windmills will need service and the parts need delivered . It needs rules for pilots that allow for its future to begin.
You have a great day. I'm ushpa 93039.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Don't think I will miss it either.

I have seen more than my fair share of hotel rooms.

Missed enough Holidays, birthdays, and kids ball games.

Endured enough cold soggy sandwiches, bouncing along in the clouds at FL380 while staring at the radar.

Think you get my drift.

45 years, that's impressive. What kind of flying? Who did you fly for?
22 year's US Army/Department Army, 23 year's TWA, American Eagle, American.

40 years is a good haul too. You pegged the life style, But if I had to do it all over again, I would do it all over again.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Congrats Hawker! Everyone's posts about flying is making me regret not finishing my private pilots certificate :( ...maybe in 5 years I will finish it.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Congratulations on a well deserved retirement. Keep us posted on a fall ride.

Starting up a project in Fresno/Madera (High Speed Rail) late summer so I may keep a bike down there for weekend hooliganism.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Congrats on the retirement. Sounds well deserved.

Reactions: Hawkerjet

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Question I ask most to pilots is , in your free time do you get out and fly for fun?
Almost always the reply is No. I figured the initial turn on to learn was chitty chitty bang bang or barnstorming the sound of the old rolls Royce.
Living here on a flight line I get the A380 the antonov soon dreamliners approaching low.
I fly out tomorrow to another city watching more attendants and crew just as passenger.
I failed attendant school but held avop as a fueler ,mostly 777 747 A319 A320 .777 was quite a reach with a nozzle.
Now my thoughts go to cargo blimps with rv quality living and delivering cranes or heavy equipment supplies to remote locations.
Those windmills will need service and the parts need delivered . It needs rules for pilots that allow for its future to begin.
You have a great day. I'm ushpa 93039.
I would love to fly just for fun. I wish I could afford to have several planes. A 180 Cessna, an Extra 300, and a sailplane. But these are only a pipe dream.

I am just happy to be able to afford 2 motorcycles and my honey.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
22 year's US Army/Department Army, 23 year's TWA, American Eagle, American.

40 years is a good haul too. You pegged the life style, But if I had to do it all over again, I would do it all over again.

Ride Safe.
Yeppers.

Like I always say: "It beats working for a living most of the time."

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Congrats Hawker!!! Best wishes for your retirement!
But I have to say, man all this talk of retirement has me a bit down. I still have two semesters of Law School, at least one bar exam, and a tenacious job hunt, before my career even begins. Well my second career anyways. Currently my father and I have a Cafe, that takes up all my non lawyerly time.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats Hawker!!! Best wishes for your retirement!
But I have to say, man all this talk of retirement has me a bit down. I still have two semesters of Law School, at least one bar exam, and a tenacious job hunt, before my career even begins. Well my second career anyways. Currently my father and I have a Cafe, that takes up all my non lawyerly time.
Well don't get too bummed out.

I am not riding off into the sunset so I can sit under a big shade tree and sip lemonade all day long.

Will still be doing some work to help supplement good o'l Social Security.

Gonna be a life style adjustment going from a 6 figure income with full bennies to just being an old useless eater sucking on the government tit.

That being said I still refuse to vote for the nanny state party if you get my drift.

At least I paid into SSI my whole life.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Congrats, brother!
Good for you...CA climate...FZ beast.
Enjoy and may your finish be a smooth landing.

Reactions: Hawkerjet

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Congrats on the retirement.....that's a lengthy career. There is one bad thing about retirement though.......you don't ever get a scheduled day off! :cool:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Congratulations in the near future. My brother in law retired from school superintendent two years ago and got another job in human resources for a local university. Yesterday he checked into the ER with major stroke symptoms, including blood pressure over 200. He does it because he feels he has to give back to society because that's what he's here for, which is commendable, but not necessarily healthy. I'm approaching four years of retirement and never looked back. You think life is great now, wait until you stop working for someone else. I doubt that you'll have any problem transitioning. Best of luck.

Oh, and by the way, what happened to selling back your vacation? Wasn't that your thread?

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.