Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding for 51+ years. I'm retired and ride often, 3-4 times per week, but not far, about 50 miles each ride.

I'm looking at a 2017 XSR900 . . .

·
Registered
266 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Let us know if you have any questions before your purchase. And definitely show us some pictures when you get the bike!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum! Let us know if you have any questions before your purchase. And definitely show us some pictures when you get the bike!
Thanks. I've already started to ask a few questions in another thread. I posted a pic of the bike over there.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hello and welcome to the group! There are actually quite a few of us veteran riders on the forum.
I have a 2017 fz....the only reason I dont have the xsr is because the dealer didnt have one to even look at! All the various cp3 models have the same heart and soul but there is just something about the xsr that pushes the right visual buttons for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also like the FZ-09 very much. The FJ? Not my favorite but OK. But I realize they all three have the same engine . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
List of all the Yamahas I have owned over the years. I haven't had a Yamaha since 2002 -- maybe I'm due.

1972 Yamaha XS650 (I loved that bike. Bought it new and rode cross country twice.)
1995 Yamaha V-MAX
1998 Yamaha Virago 1100 (Ugly but super reliable.)
1997 Yamaha YZF1000R

·
Registered
227 Posts
List of all the Yamahas I have owned over the years. I haven't had a Yamaha since 2002 -- maybe I'm due.

1972 Yamaha XS650 (I loved that bike. Bought it new and rode cross country twice.)
1995 Yamaha V-MAX
1997 Yamaha YZF1000R
Past due I'd say! I bought a '76 XS650 seven years ago. Great bike but heavy. Front wheel bounces at idle but it smooths out once underway and is quite comfortable for the most part. Handles pretty well too overall. It's a keeper.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 1972 XS650 was my third bike and one of my favorites. It was a vibrating bitch though -- I really couldn't cruise much over 55-60 MPH. If you reved the bike while on the center stand, it would walk across the floor. But I still loved it. Every time I see one for sale I think about buying one again.

Here's a pic of a 1972 XS650 -- but not mine . . .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Past due I'd say! I bought a '76 XS650 seven years ago. Great bike but heavy. Front wheel bounces at idle but it smooths out once underway and is quite comfortable for the most part. Handles pretty well too overall. It's a keeper.
Very nice XS650! (y)

·
Registered
227 Posts
My 1972 XS650 was my third bike and one of my favorites. It was a vibrating bitch though -- I really couldn't cruise much over 55-60 MPH. If you reved the bike while on the center stand, it would walk across the floor. But I still loved it. Every time I see one for sale I think about buying one again.

Here's a pic of a 1972 XS650 -- but not mine . . .
They do "walk" on the floor... But mine doesn't vibrate badly once past idle. I have shorter bars on it, and I did put steel rods in the handlebars so that might be why. Great old bike. Overlooked it back in the day. Bought a new '77 GS550 back then. XS650 is more fun from an engine standpoint (have a '77 GS550 now too).

·
Registered
500 Posts

1995 Yamaha V-MAX
1997 Yamaha YZF1000R
Wow! My college graduation gift to myself was a spanking new 1972 XS650. Wish I still had it. I've got a 2015 FZ09 and it's probably the best bike I've ever owned. Welcome aboard.

·
Read Only
2017 FZ09
72 Posts
I've been riding for 51+ years. I'm retired and ride often, 3-4 times per week, but not far, about 50 miles each ride.

I'm looking at a 2017 XSR900 . . .
Rode my first bike when I was 11, a Mobelmatic 49 cc, pedal to start(ha), but my last 2 bikes were '07 Busa, and just sold my '02 VMAX, and bought 2017 FZ09. Got 6 brothers, so I've ridden a few bikes. I'll be 65 in June, and I think when I can't
eat peas with a butter knike, I'll tape my hands(HA). Notice the guard rails I put on the bike(ha).
2017 FZ09.JPG

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Also had a 650. One time racing through the foothills up to the Lick Observatory, a gas line came off the tank spigot. Plenty of vibration.

It was my first bike with a disk brake in front. I couldn’t get over clamping down on it going from 90 mph into the switchbacks without risk of locking it up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts