Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the heck did u guys use to remove the fuel tank sticker, I just tried and only the sticker backing came off. It is really on there. It seems like I would need some sort of chemical help that wont hurt the paint.

·
Registered
70 Posts
it is a bit messy. but i used and do use an eraser wheel. 3m makes one. i would be hesitant to use a chemical adhesive remover. if the remover sits too long. or if you rub too hard with the incorrect material. the clear coat will be softened and it is likely you will leave little scratches that need to buffed out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used my wife's hair dryer to heat up the sticker a little bit and it came right off, didn't even leave any sticky residue behind. I personally wouldn't use any chemicals on the tank, try heat first and hopefully that will do it.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I used patience (10 minutes worth) plus some Turtle wax to clean up the little dabs that remained...

·
Registered
188 Posts
teatree oil, eucalyptus oil ... easy to get in aussie .. dont know about over there? .. but quick web search says yes!

clove oil perhaps? ... any natural oil with plenty of volatiles in it i think would do ..

ive used tea tree oil etc on the fairings of my GS500 and on mates bikes etc .. havent harmed anything yet!

its not a wipe and shazam its gone! .. work around the edges with a cloth and it'll dissolve most simple glues like on decals and stickers ... araldite or superglue? NO!

·
Registered
364 Posts
After removing the label, I used Goo Gone.

Reactions: YATTATTAK

·
Registered
232 Posts
as FZcruisinAZ said use the wife's hair drier and get it very warm but not hot and get a small corner started with finger nail nothing hard or sharp and peal up slowly it should peal up in one piece if you warm it up good and keep it warm and a rag damp not wet with brake cleaner remember just damp will remove the residue then a good coat of wax ..

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats what im gonna try when I get home, I missed the boat on it coming off easy. It has 1400 miles and it sits outside when im at work so I think the sun baked it on. The hair dryer sounds like it outta work

·
Registered
209 Posts
I cussed it into submission and then finished it off with my fingernails. Original Bike Spirits cleaned it up nicely after that.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Won't come off cold, has to be heated, WD-40 can help, then clean with water and wax. I taped around mine with painter's tape, but did not need any chemicals after using heat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts