Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one else have a problem with there oil pump causing the motor to go? I took my bike for the recall an later that night when I was riding the bike started to make grinding sounds then it just died

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
What recall was done?

No one has reported an oil pump issue. Cam chain tensioner, yes. Shift shaft, yup. Headlight, that too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
What recall was done?

No one has reported an oil pump issue. Cam chain tensioner, yes. Shift shaft, yup. Headlight, that too.
Cam chain tensioner an old one I assume? Haven't heard anything of that since I started looking into the FZ a little earlier this year. Not disputing you, just curious what it was about.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
The CCT has affected thousands of bikes, and unfortunately, continues to do so. Yamaha has yet to build a CCT that isn't prone to failure. Even the newest revision has a tendency to fail. Some would fail at 500 miles, some at 5,000 miles. Just keep an eye on it.

The CCT will fail to keep tension on the cam chain, allowing it to run loose. You can hear it on the right side of the motor, as a clicking/ticking noise, that increases as RPM increase. Over a three month period, I sold over 200 set screw kits on this forum alone, as a bandaid until Yamaha had parts in stock to begin repairing them under warranty.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Has any one else have a problem with there oil pump causing the motor to go? I took my bike for the recall an later that night when I was riding the bike started to make grinding sounds then it just died
I would think, more logically, that the engine failure/grinding, would have something to do with the recall work you had done. Was it the shift shaft recall?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Littleman - What recall?
on a FB forum OP says it's a 2015 with 800 miles, so I imagine it's the shift-shaft recall. of course, that's just according to my internet sleuthing skills, and I may be off base.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
oil pump is driven by chain off the clutch basket, and the basket needs to come out for the shift shaft recall, so yes, it's possible to cause oil starvation if not reassembled correctly.

·
Registered
673 Posts
on a FB forum OP says it's a 2015 with 800 miles, so I imagine it's the shift-shaft recall. of course, that's just according to my internet sleuthing skills, and I may be off base.
stalker-meme.jpg

·
Registered
276 Posts
I am so sorry about your motor dying after the recall. I hope they do the right thing and give you a brand new zero miles motor for your bike, or they give you a new bike. I now feel bad about complaining that they took 3.5 hours to do mine, hopefully it took a long time because they wanted to make sure they did it correctly. Good luck, I hope Yamaha does right by you!

·
Registered
276 Posts
they let mine cool for an hour. the actual shaft replacement took barely half an hour
Now this worries me. Mine took 1.5 hours AFTER they told me it was already in and they were just putting it back together. I did put 500 miles on it already and it seems to be ok though.

·
Registered
239 Posts
OP "Y'all jacked up my bike!"
Service rep "Huh.... Oh oops. Must have dropped this Allen wrench in there while I was eating my tacos and fixing your bike. My bad. Here's a free oil change coupon."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ugh this while week was a nightmare yamaha went to the dealership yesterday to look at the bike they still don't know why this happened an yes I did do the recall....yamaha said there going to put in a new motor in the bike so hopefully this will be the last prob on this bike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts