Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed this since the first big maintenance when the bike was switched to Yamalube non-synthetic oil - the oil light will come on when I first start riding. It will go out as soon as I park and then get going again, or it will go out on its own after a few minutes.

This morning it was on for about 5 minutes in city riding until I hit the highway, where it went out as soon as I hit highway speeds.

The oil level is fine - any ideas? I have heard that non-synthetic oil can foam and trigger the sensor in other bikes.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The oil is a bit low. The light is based on the level- it's not a low oil pressure light. Add until the oil is at the upper line in the window and you won't see the light again. Make sure you're balancing the bike upright when you check the sight glass- not on the side stand.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yes the bike should be vertical, but filling it to the upper mark on the side stand would over fill, not under.
Agreed. To prevent overfilling, check bike balanced upright.
If the bike is on a rear stand, rear 2 or 3 inches off the floor but the front is on the floor, does that make the level less than the site glass indicates?
Since the sight glass is in the front, having the rear wheel up on a stand would have the sight glass indicate higher than the actual level. I kneel on the floor and pull the handlebar towards me, being careful of course not to tip it too far. Then gently lower the bike onto the side stand . You could also balamce the bike straddling it if you have a mirror that you can use to view the sight glass. Front wheel should be pointed straight ahead of course.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I had the 09 on both rear and front stands so both wheels where about the same distance up. ;)

Dunno about yours but when my race bikes are on stands, the front is 2-3" higher than the rear in relation to how they sit when not on stands, IE the rear gets lifted about 3" high, the front get lifted 5-6" high.

Anyway, that's what wives are for - I make mine sit on the bike while I check it in the garage! :cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I've never been able to check any bike that I've owned when they were on front and rear stands, it throws off the oil level. I've done this enough on my bikes that I can stand them up and balance them by myself and check the oil level. Do make sure that the sidestand is down though, and if the bike starts coming toward you, you can always push it the other direction and it will only go to the sidestand.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm ok, thanks guys

When I check the oil, the bike is cold and it's on flat-ground, not on a stand

The oil level is about 50% in the little window - should it be right to the top? My thinking was no, the dealer said this level was fine (half in the window)

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
For any of you that broke the bike in easily as per the manufacturers recommendations, I recommend that you check the oil regularly. The rings will probably never seat and it will blow oil by and out the exhaust.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had the 09 on both rear and front stands so both wheels where about the same distance up. ;)
Won't be the same as sitting on it's wheels, on the ground. On stands the suspension is fully extended.On the ground the suspension is compressed and the sag will be different,front and rear.

Put a block of wood under the sidestand and pack it up till the bike is almost at it's balance point.Put something under the right foot peg to prevent it getting knocked over if you are paranoid or clumsy.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I checked the oil recently and it seemed like it was overfilled so I removed enough oil to bring the level down closer to the lower mark. On the way home from work the light came on and stayed on for about 2 miles. I suspect that my freeway entrance lean triggered the light, and there is some type of turn-off delay. Anyway, I filled the crankcase up to the upper line and I have about 1/3 quart leftover so it was definitely over-filled. I hope there are no ill-effects. Does anyone agree about the turn-off delay?

·
Registered
673 Posts
I checked the oil recently and it seemed like it was overfilled so I removed enough oil to bring the level down closer to the lower mark. On the way home from work the light came on and stayed on for about 2 miles. I suspect that my freeway entrance lean triggered the light, and there is some type of turn-off delay. Anyway, I filled the crankcase up to the upper line and I have about 1/3 quart leftover so it was definitely over-filled. I hope there are no ill-effects. Does anyone agree about the turn-off delay?
I disagree with your lean causing the oil light. I'm damn close to chicken stripe-less-ness on upgraded suspension. My oil light hasn't illuminated once.

Over filling your oil isn't a great idea, but isn't a terrible thing. Excess oil just routes into your airbox. Your oil filter absorbs and it help filter the smaller stuff.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok, so is the oil level sensor in a place where lean angle has no effect? It seems to me that if it is sensitive enough to detect a third of a quart difference a radical lean angle could affect the sensor. IDK.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Ok, so is the oil level sensor in a place where lean angle has no effect? It seems to me that if it is sensitive enough to detect a third of a quart difference a radical lean angle could affect the sensor. IDK.
I've been 1/3 of quart low, checked on level surface and never saw a light. You have to be really low on oil. The bike only holds 2.86 qts, pour 2 quarts in and top off from there

1 - 15 of 15 Posts