Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 MT-09
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I did my 24K mile oil and filter change. Afterwards I ran the bike on the rear stand (in neutral) for a couple of minutes to get the oil flowing through the new filter and rechecked the level in the window. This morning on the way to work at about three minutes into the ride, going about 65 MPH, I noticed the oil light was on. I started slowing down and it went off. The light was on for a total of 7-12 seconds. I pulled off the road anyway and looked for leaks, I didn't find any so I continued on into work, the light never came on again. The exact same scenario played out again on the ride back home. Any ideas? Does the oil filter have a bypass built in that is getting stuck open?

·
Registered
2018 MT-09
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mt09 is an oil level sensor, not pressure.
It likes it full to the line full. Not kinda full, or almost full, but full to the line full. Just put a bit more oil in.
Thanks, that makes sense and I learned something new today.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It likes it full to the line full. Not kinda full, or almost full, but full to the line full. Just put a bit more oil in.
You're probably right about adding more oil, especially since the OP did the original measurement on a rear stand. But just for the record my 2018 isn't that fussy. It's happy as long as any oil is visible in the window.

Did the warning light illuminate while the bike was leaning, and then turn off when straightened up? That would suggest low oil, as opposed to a bad sensor or other malfunction.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Since you only saw the light before the bike was completely warmed up, and it went away after it was, it's almost certainly a slightly low fluid level situation as described earlier.

First experienced this with my '01 FZ1, but I guess it applies to other Yamahas as well.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Same as a lot of R1's too.
First happened to me on a 2014 in 2014. Would come on intermittently after an oil change. Googled. Added maybe 100ml of oil, perfect.
Happened again on a different 14 in say, 2016 after a dealer did a service as part of insurance work. Light came on when i was in their driveway but i knew what it was, so i had them add a touch more oil, and all good.
Its not a faulty sensor, just a sensitive one, which is a good thing.
Now i know better, it hasn't happened on my 17.

·
Registered
2018 MT-09
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're probably right about adding more oil, especially since the OP did the original measurement on a rear stand. But just for the record my 2018 isn't that fussy. It's happy as long as any oil is visible in the window.

Did the warning light illuminate while the bike was leaning, and then turn off when straightened up? That would suggest low oil, as opposed to a bad sensor or other malfunction.
The light came on while I was straight up and went out while I was straight up. I put in 2 quarts and 22 oz, now that I redo the math I should have put in 27 oz so looks like I was a little short after all. My Bad.

TG

·
Registered
73 Posts
book says 2.7L of oil, which is just shy of 3QTs, i just toss all 3 in and let it ride. did away with the oil light issue I had (identicial to yours).

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Many years ago we had a guy on here that insisted four quarts was the hot trick.
Man, did we pile on that dude, enough so that he disappeared.
Not long after he went away someone came on and told us this story about some guy that put too much oil in his FZ09 and had some major problem. Turns out Yamaha wasn't going to help him out either.
(Full Disclosure: This is how I remember it but, after all, this is the internet and I do drink a bit.)

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
I found the thread from the "4quarts guy" but I couldn't find the posts about his problems later on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts