Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I had some trouble with my baby this morning

I've had my fz for about 3 months now and Ive put on about 3500 miles. Last night as I was pulling into my garage my oil light came on. I last changed the oil at about 2200 miles. Read up on the manual about it, checked my oil level, turned it off then back on and the light didn't come back. Thought hmm, manual says it can come on with heavy accelerating/decelerating or being on an incline so I figured it could be that or the suggested electrical issue. This morning when I go to warm it up the engine light comes on, also it sputtered around a little before turning over. BTW I normally start it in neutral w/kickstand down. I let it run for a little, it runs normal, turn it off, then turn it back on with no problem at all and the engine check light didn't come back. I havent had any loss in power, stalled out, or noticed anything while riding. One thing I have noticed though is that the overall average fuel meter is stuck at 3.3 mpg, not the one that changes depending on how your drive but the one that gives an overall average. Also, is it normal for the engine light to flash real quick when you push back on the killswitch? I feel like it is, but its standing out to me now and I cant recall. Wanted to know your guys' opinion before going to the dealer. Im thinking all this has to be under warranty, all ive done to it is the first service, frame/fork sliders.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey guys, so I had some trouble with my baby this morning

I've had my fz for about 3 months now and Ive put on about 3500 miles. Last night as I was pulling into my garage my oil light came on. I last changed the oil at about 2200 miles. Read up on the manual about it, checked my oil level, turned it off then back on and the light didn't come back. Thought hmm, manual says it can come on with heavy accelerating/decelerating or being on an incline so I figured it could be that or the suggested electrical issue. This morning when I go to warm it up the engine light comes on, also it sputtered around a little before turning over. BTW I normally start it in neutral w/kickstand down. I let it run for a little, it runs normal, turn it off, then turn it back on with no problem at all and the engine check light didn't come back. I havent had any loss in power, stalled out, or noticed anything while riding. One thing I have noticed though is that the overall average fuel meter is stuck at 3.3 mpg, not the one that changes depending on how your drive but the one that gives an overall average. Also, is it normal for the engine light to flash real quick when you push back on the killswitch? I feel like it is, but its standing out to me now and I cant recall. Wanted to know your guys' opinion before going to the dealer. Im thinking all this has to be under warranty, all ive done to it is the first service, frame/fork sliders.
3 months? should still be under warranty. They can't deny warrantly claims unless your mod caused/directly related to the issue. I'd take it back to the dealer and have them check it out. Sounds to me like something is amiss..

As for the killswitch, I know there has been much debate over killswitch vs. turning the key. I personally turn the key, but I don't recall seeing an engine light flicker on when I have flipped the switch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will definitely take it to the dealer, something has to be wrong.
Talking about the kill switch I meant when you start it. Sorry if my writing made it confusing. During the act of sliding the thumb back (by back i mean towards yourself) on the electric start does the engine light flash? I normally kill it by turning the key also. Thanks for the response too! Plus its my bday and the one thing I wanted to do was ride around but instead Im dealing with this :(

·
Registered
369 Posts
Talking about the kill switch I meant when you start it. Sorry if my writing made it confusing. During the act of sliding the thumb back on the electric start does the engine light flash? I normally kill it by turning the key also. Thanks for the response too! Plus its my bday and the one thing I wanted to do was ride around but instead Im dealing with this :(
Ack that bites on your b-day. I rode my FZ6 today (similar setup) and will double check on it in a few minutes. I don't think I recall seeing an engine light on ignition. I'd be weary about riding it too much until you get it checked out.

Good luck and happy b-day! :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Talking about the kill switch I meant when you start it. Sorry if my writing made it confusing. During the act of sliding the thumb back (by back i mean towards yourself) on the electric start does the engine light flash? I normally kill it by turning the key also. Thanks for the response too! Plus its my bday and the one thing I wanted to do was ride around but instead Im dealing with this :(
If I wanted to ride today, that's exactly what I would do. Enjoy the day and ride safe! :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it was normal but with all this going on it made me second guess myself. Thanks for the update, at least I can be relieved about that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was hard not to say screw it and ride anyway, but Id be pissed at myself if I made things worse over a 15 min ride to work. Had to take in the 250... just wasnt the same.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It's unclear in your post if the check engine light came on/off during startup (normal), or stayed on. If it stayed on, it would have stored a code which you can retrieve in diagnostic mode.

·
Registered
369 Posts
It was hard not to say screw it and ride anyway, but Id be pissed at myself if I made things worse over a 15 min ride to work. Had to take in the 250... just wasnt the same.
I hear ya, at least you got to ride SOMETHING in. ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's unclear in your post if the check engine light came on/off during startup (normal), or stayed on. If it stayed on, it would have stored a code which you can retrieve in diagnostic mode.
Yes it stayed on. And stayed lit while warming up. But didnt stay on after turn off/on again.

·
Registered
377 Posts
and did you check your oil level again today? is it low?

funny, my trip mpg just reset itself to 4.3 mpg this week, I've had it keeping a running tally since I bought the bike, was 46.7. ~3k. My oil light only stays on while the idiot light check is on, never on while the bike is running or idling. where are you located? ambient temps + oil viscosity are things' I'd look at.

I run rotella 5w40 full synth, and it's vegas, so I have yet to have a day where it's below 80 when I start the bike, and usually much hotter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im in cincinnati, it has been getting a lot hotter than norm this past week. Upper 80's with some absurd humidity. I run 10w50 semi synth. Im switching to a full synth next oil change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes it stayed on. And stayed lit while warming up. But didnt stay on after turn off/on again.
Not much help, other than to say that you're not alone. This happened to me once as well. Started up, oil light came on, so after about 10 seconds I shut it down and restarted. No oil light, and everything back to normal.

I've also had the MPG read 3 MPG as well, which kind of freaked me out because I was also low on gas and thought maybe it was just sucking down fuel for some crazy reason. After a reboot all was well again.

Oh, and once I turned it on and the dash said "Err 3" or something like that (happened 3 months ago, so i can't remember exactly). Same thing, turned it off an back on and all was well.

Not sure if it's just a flaky system or what, but I know if I take it to the dealer I'm just going to hear, "Well, it's working perfectly now. That'll be $143.76."

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have noticed the MPG avaerage display will get wacked out if you don't reset it for a long time. I assume it divides the fuel used by the miles since the last reset, but the miles has a maximum value that once reached will give an erroneous result. What you will notice is a decreasing value for avg mpg. If you are seeing 3.3 mpg it must be a long time since you reset it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought an MT-09 Tracer ex-demo with 5600km with a comparable problem, yesterday the oil lamp started burning after 4km in normal Dutch traffic at a speed of 80km/h and went off after about 1 minute:confused: when slowing down for a turn.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Oil level is probably a little low.
It needs to be full. Not mostly full, or almost full, but full right to the line full.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My oil light scared the crap out of me while on the track, and again today. It seems these engines' oil level light goes on when you maintain a high RPM for a while. It goes away as soon as I let go of the throttle, but it is still spooky for an engine guy like me!

FYI, the engine says 2400cc of oil for an oil change, I have always put in 2.75 and it is at the correct level. But I always change the filter too.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I do recall other 09 owners noting that if your oil level is down even slightly from the full mark, the friggin' oil light can come on.

oil-level.JPG

So even if your oil level reads above the low mark, the oil light can still come on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts