Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when the bike is leaned over resting on the kickstand...should you be able to see any oil in the little oil glass area when my bike is leaned over on the kickstand i cant see any...when i hold it straight up the oil is at the top of the glass. Normal?

sorry if that seems like a stupid question but i cant seem to remember how it should be...just changed the oil myself 700 miles ago and trying too see if im burning any oil and cant remember if when i changed it..i could see any oil in the glass when the back was resting on the kickstand

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Bike standing up perfectly level (straight up and down), oil level should be between the two lines........preferably closer to the top or full line.

·
Registered
245 Posts
when the bike is leaned over resting on the kickstand...should you be able to see any oil in the little oil glass area when my bike is leaned over on the kickstand i cant see any...when i hold it straight up the oil is at the top of the glass. Normal?

sorry if that seems like a stupid question but i cant seem to remember how it should be...just changed the oil myself 700 miles ago and trying too see if im burning any oil and cant remember if when i changed it..i could see any oil in the glass when the back was resting on the kickstand
I've never owned a bike that needs to be on the side stand to check the oil. It makes no difference at all if you can see oil when its on the side stand. Check the oil with the bike straight up and down just like the manual tells you to do.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got it..thanks! i figured it needed to be straight up and down to get an accurate check but worried me a little when i didnt see any oil in there when the bike was leaned over

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
And just for future reference, when the engine is running (even at idle speed) you probably won't see any oil in the sight glass either.

Reactions: cza888

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I write the mileage and date of oil change in the back of my owner's manual. It helps me and any future owner's know when I changed the oil. The EBR is the only bike that I have come across that you check the sight glass with the bike on the stand.

·
Registered
420 Posts

Not a stupid question. When I bought my FZ6R a few YA, I asked the salesman if you checked the oil on the sidestand or straight up and down. He had to go ask the mechanic (technician nowadays). The 6R has a dipstick. That was the first street bike I bought w/o a centerstand. For the 09, it is impossible to sit on the bike to hold it vertical and look at the sightglass. I have 2 choices: hold it to what I think is vertical and bending over to see the glass, or asking my wife to help me, both of which are awkward.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You never want to overfill any vehicle but I always fill my FZ to the top line.

I tried filling to between the lines but had the low lever light come on during hard acceleration.

Believe it or not, overfilling can cause oil starvation. If you were to fill until the oil reached the bottom of the crank shaft or higher, the rotating crank and parts can beat the oil like an egg beater and cause it to foam. If some of the foam were to make it into the oil pump, the pressure would drop off dramatically since the pump is designed to pump oil and not air.

End result could be very ugly for your engine, not to mention your wallet. :(

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
Not a stupid question. When I bought my FZ6R a few YA, I asked the salesman if you checked the oil on the sidestand or straight up and down. He had to go ask the mechanic (technician nowadays). The 6R has a dipstick. That was the first street bike I bought w/o a centerstand. For the 09, it is impossible to sit on the bike to hold it vertical and look at the sightglass. I have 2 choices: hold it to what I think is vertical and bending over to see the glass, or asking my wife to help me, both of which are awkward.
Or, you could always use one of these..........Baxley Sport Chock!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
how else do you learn except by asking questions? another way that you can check your oil straight up is to pull the bike off the side stand kneel down next to it as you balance it and you can feel quite accurately when it wants to lean to one side or another with just one hand. it feels awkward at first but actually works quite well. Just make sure to pull it back against the kickstand when you set it back.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Or, you could always use one of these..........Baxley Sport Chock!
I have one and its mounted to my lift...you gota be carefull because the tire chock will raise the front slightly and you will not get a good reading....I always have to remove it from my lift and have it set on the floor to get the best last reading...

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the responses everyone! bike straight up and down the oil is right at the top of the sight glass which is where i filled it too when i changed the oil...just got a little paranoid when i looked yesterday while the bike was on the kickstand and there was no oil there lol...figured there was no way i could burn that much oil that quickly but you never know i guess.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You never want to overfill any vehicle but I always fill my FZ to the top line.

I tried filling to between the lines but had the low lever light come on during hard acceleration.

Believe it or not, overfilling can cause oil starvation. If you were to fill until the oil reached the bottom of the crank shaft or higher, the rotating crank and parts can beat the oil like an egg beater and cause it to foam. If some of the foam were to make it into the oil pump, the pressure would drop off dramatically since the pump is designed to pump oil and not air.

End result could be very ugly for your engine, not to mention your wallet. :(
About 45 years ago I had an Italian bike which started having clutch slippage. It turned out I had overfilled the oil.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have always just stood over the bike, got it nice and level and used one of these to check the oil level. I found one with a nice big square mirror which makes it easy to check the oil level.

Telescoping Mirror
mirror.JPG

Plus never over fill it, or you might blow out the counter shaft seal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts