Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked her last weekend, rode 250 miles. This morning I just happened to be looking at oil level. When I hold her up straight it is way past the window. I mean when I am just starting to pull her up from the side stand the oil level goes to the max mark before i get her to up position!! I have ridden for a long time and I know that overfilling is bad. What do you think I should do?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Change the oil and filter now (assuming you haven't done so already).
Other than that, use a straw to take out a little bit at a time by dipping then placing a finger over the end to trap oil in the straw, remove straw and release the extra oil by releasing your finger.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yeah I changed mine around 250 as well.

·
Registered
224 Posts

Other than that, use a straw to take out a little bit at a time by dipping then placing a finger over the end to trap oil in the straw, remove straw and release the extra oil by releasing your finger.

that takes too long, just suck it up and spit it out lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will remove some, oil change right now!! Is the oil filter similar to other Yamahas?? If so I can get one from Autozone along with oil. I lived in Audubon park for years before moving to the west coast.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Purolator PL14610 will fit according to what I learned from fizzerpilot. I just so happen to have a P14610 (have not tried it yet though) left over from a Nissan Altima and its the same (PL14610 is considered their premium filter). Just know that the Purolator is a bit longer than the stock Yamaha filter (5GH-13440-50). I don't think the Purolator is sold at Autozone, you can get it at Advance Auto Parts.
When I changed my oil with the stock filter, I put in 2700ml of oil.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
If you have some way of taking a picture of the bike's oil level sight glass while someone else holds the bike upright, I might do that just in case, for future reference.....probably not really a big deal, but CYA anyway.

I've over-filled motorcycles before when changing oil and to me, the easiest way is to just loosen the drain plug and just before it is ready to come all the way out, it will usually allow a little stream to start flowing....but that's just me. Do it however is easiest for you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Threat is right drain plug so easy to remove excess oil. My first change was hard so see sight glass and had bike leaned over more than it should have been and resulted in too much oil. No big deal if you have a little too much took me maybe 30 seconds to fix.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I found the same issue with my bike. Is the oil level supposed to be in the middle or upper part of the sight glass with the bike fully upright???? Maybe a little air at the top of the sight glass?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I found the same issue with my bike. Is the oil level supposed to be in the middle or upper part of the sight glass with the bike fully upright???? Maybe a little air at the top of the sight glass?
There are 2 lines on the case in front of the sight glass....the lower line is just a bit below the halfway point, and the upper line is very near the top....keep it between these lines and you will be fine......I prefer to keep mine just a tiny bit below the top line when cold

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
There is a line at the top of the sight glass area which is the maximum level for oil when the bike is exactly vertical. When testing for proper oil level, make sure the bike is exactly vertical (easier to do with a helper for sure), by making sure that when the bike is upright, and you loosen your grip on the bars, the bike doesn't want to fall to the left or fall to the right.......it's perfectly balanced. Also, make sure that after changing the oil and filter that you run the engine for at least 3 to 5 minutes to heat up the new oil and to make sure that oil is in the filter (this only takes a few seconds). Once you shut the engine down, give it at least 5 minutes or so before you check the oil level. That gives the oil in the engine a chance for almost all of it to drain down into the pan, giving you a more accurate reading on the sight glass.

Reactions: Evil Mechanic

·
Registered
438 Posts
So i just checked mine today. Nothing in the sight glass when on the side stand, and the glass completely fills up and then some i assume, when vertical. I'm ordering a filter and oil from amazon toady to change it and fill it properly next week.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Purolator PL14610 will fit according to what I learned from fizzerpilot. I just so happen to have a P14610 (have not tried it yet though) left over from a Nissan Altima and its the same (PL14610 is considered their premium filter). Just know that the Purolator is a bit longer than the stock Yamaha filter (5GH-13440-50).
pl14612 is the one that's the same size as the stock filter. both will work, the 14610 is just slightly longer.

·
Registered
416 Posts
According to the manual, you're suppose to warm the bike up for several minutes then check the level while the bike is in the upright position and not running....not on a rear stand or on the kickstand.

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
According to the manual, you're suppose to warm the bike up for several minutes then check the level while the bike is in the upright position and not running....not on a rear stand or on the kickstand.
Checking oil level while the bike is on a rearstand will almost ALWAYS give you a wrong reading......even if you have a matching front stand in place. My 600RR's are a prime example of that.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Checking oil level while the bike is on a rearstand will almost ALWAYS give you a wrong reading......even if you have a matching front stand in place. My 600RR's are a prime example of that.
It should be a rule that can go without being said, but well....... lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts