Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 396 miles on my fz09.. Today I noticed a small amount of oil "sweat" coming from my valve cover gasket, it wasn't a heavy amount. Just noticible. It kinda freeked me out, the closest Yamaha dealer is 2 hrs away so I couldn't bring it in. Is this a normal thing that can occur w break in?? Or should I be concerned?? I cleaned the area off and it hasn't seemed to leak any more. Any input would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have 396 miles on my fz09.. Today I noticed a small amount of oil "sweat" coming from my valve cover gasket, it wasn't a heavy amount. Just noticible. It kinda freeked me out, the closest Yamaha dealer is 2 hrs away so I couldn't bring it in. Is this a normal thing that can occur w break in?? Or should I be concerned?? I cleaned the area off and it hasn't seemed to leak any more. Any input would be much appreciated.
After the first day of riding, I had a little bit of oil on the two large bolts on the underside of the engine. I wiped it off and inspected it closely after the next few rides and noticed nothing else. HTH

W

·
0 Posts
Around the crank and timing access covers (the two round covers on the side of the engine, and from the valve cover, just the slightest sign of oil molecule migration (not kidding) is not unusual, but after 400 miles it seems a bit early. Usually it takes a few thousand miles before you notice it, and then only because it attracts dust. My FZ8 has a tiny bit of this, after 5,000 miles. Don't think my CB1100 has any at all but it has <2000 miles. For sure keep an eye on it. If it persists, definitely have your dealer look at it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you I am going to bring it to Vegas tomrw and have it looked at just to be safe. It hasn't seemed to sweat anymore but I was a little concerned seeing a wet spot on the bike, maybe she was just that turned on from being ridden!! Lol. But seriously I appreciate the tips, this is my first new bike ever.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Just clocked 250 miles on mine and noticed the same thing.. picture below. I called the dealer and they said to bring it in. I kinda don't want to know after reading this thread. Maybe I should wait? I was planning on riding it this weekend. What do you guys think, here is a pic of the small leak.

As you can see its a very small amount on the forward cam of the valve cover gasket. Should I wipe it an wait a bit more?

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
An oil leak that small is basically a nuisance issue and isn't going to keep you from riding the bike until you are ready to take it in.......oil change time, cold weather, a week of rain etc. Keep your eye on it every time before your ride to make sure it hasn't worsened.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's nothing. Completely normal w seals breakin in apparently. Called a few Yamaha techs. I had the same issue at 250 miles. Cleaned it up and hasn't hapnd again and I'm at almost 600 miles.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
It all sounds like initial weeping which is normal until gaskets seal in. If it starts leaking, then I would be worried. Wipe it clean and follow it, in fact give the entire engine a look see before every ride until broken in. Thank God these bikes do not have fairings.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Thank you all for your re-assuring responses, I'm feeling allot better now. I'm going to wipe it clean with rag and wd-40 and keep an eye on it... Plus going to look for other spots. Whats weird is that directly above this like there seems to be a small droplet on top. See picture with red circle. I'm trying to figure out how that got up there, unless the my understanding of gravity is incorrect, I don't know how it could drip to the top.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Could it be oil blown into the air box by a breather tube and dripping down from there?
Who knows.. I guess I'm going to have top pop the tank off to have a closer look... hmmm.. is there a haynes manual for this yet?

·
Registered
38 Posts
This could be from a breather hose that goes into the air box, at least that is the problem with all yamaha snowmobiles when riding in deep powder and you lean on the side alot, the oil spills into the box and from the box on the l engine. A catch can of some sort could fix it. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
This could be from a breather hose that goes into the air box, at least that is the problem with all yamaha snowmobiles when riding in deep powder and you lean on the side alot, the oil spills into the box and from the box on the l engine. A catch can of some sort could fix it. Just my 2cents
Whats weird is that its just (1) drop.. not a sequence of them or a trail. In the end my guess is the bike just needs to be ridden more, which is fine by me :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, i just get my FZ09 on Monday November 4, in Orlando Fl, the same day travel in the bike 250 miles down to Miami, everything was good but today Thursday November seven in the morning i noticed a little pool of oil under the bike, well i got really scared because this is a new bike only has 260 miles on it, what do you think it can be? what would you recommend me to do? this is my first bike of this type i really don't know much about mechanics or maintenance, thank you very much, here are the pictures.

photo 1 (2).jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg
photo 4.jpg
photo.jpg

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
That spot looks more like gasoline than oil. Did you happen to fill it up prior to parking? Smell any fumes. Our FZ pisses fuel when it's warm...

The weeping at the head gasket is interesting, but I'd recommend washing it down and keeping an eye on it. Some weeping is normal from new gaskets, but it should stop. If it persists, don't hesitate to take it in.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts