Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my dealer recently and picked up an oil filter for my 2017 and I didn't realize they gave me part # "5GH-13440-71" instead of 5GH-13440-60. Not sure if this is a newly superceded #?
In the middle of the oil change right now, I noticed the part number mix up as I opened the box and I went ahead and put this filter on for the time being. I could not tell any physical differences besides the filter is slightly longer. It screws on and fits fine. The Yamaha models shown on the "60" and the "71" filters for fitment, are some of the same models and year.
Will this "71" filter allow me to complete the oil change and start the bike? ....Will it be safe to ride the bike, or should I wait until I have the "60" filter?
Or do I need the "60" oil filter before even starting the engine?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Is the K&N oil filter a good choice, is it as good as the OEM filter?
That's what I can get today, at a Cycle Gear, dealerships are closed today.
I saw a thread where people were talking about using cheaper oil filters like Purolator and Hi-flo on their FZ's...
I've also heard good and bad things about K&N products over the years, and I haven't considered buying a k&n product in a long time.
I thought Yamaha OEM is the only way to go for the oil filter on FZ's? Or does it not matter

·
Super Moderator
2,742 Posts
hmm, nope. Still got the 61 here. (2015 model however.)
Rectangle Font Packaging and labeling Flooring Road surface

Rectangle Font Magenta Brand Logo

Looked to see if 2017 made a difference. Nope still shows same part.
Rectangle Font Magenta Circle Brand

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is the K&N oil filter a good choice, is it as good as the OEM filter?
That's what I can get today, at a Cycle Gear, dealerships are closed today.
I saw a thread where people were talking about using cheaper oil filters like Purolator and Hi-flo on their FZ's...
I've also heard good and bad things about K&N products over the years, and I haven't considered buying a k&n product in a long time.
I thought Yamaha OEM is the only way to go for the oil filter on FZ's? Or does it not matter
Hi I know this thread is a little old, but I would say K&N filters are not good. On the R1 forums they will evicerate you for using one as they have been known to break up and break engines. Some tracks, specifically here in California, won't let you in with a K&N filter on your bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts