Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

oil filler cap?

14K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  Ace collins 
#1 ·
So being that I am a nerd and like little machined things, I wanted to replace my stock oil filler cap. Most manufacturers stick with the same one between all their bikes and Yamaha is no different. All the R1's and R6's and FJ's and other FZ's are the same. Well, the 09 is different. Does anyone know any other bikes it would cross reference with? I looked at the microfishe and the FZ-09 seems to have a different part number than any other yamaha (no, I didnt check them all, just a lot of common ones)

Any help would be great.

#3 ·
Look at some dirtbike caps as they are smaller than typical streetbike filler caps just like the FZ09 filler cap is smaller. And there are lots of aftermarket dirtbike oil fill caps.

#5 ·
Not sure if a dipstick would work. Might interfere with a few parts inside the cover. Don't really see much value in a dipstick as it would require removal, cleaning off and then reinserting to get a reading and the sight window is right there at the same level, albeit way down low on the bike making it difficult to see with the bike balanced vertically so you can actually see the window unless you are using a rear stand.

#20 ·
-1 For changing the stock cap. Metal caps get too hot to handle when changing oil.

#21 ·
Ah but while it's certainly true that a metal cap will get too hot to handle when the engine's at operating temp, personally I wouldn't change the oil if any part of the engine is uncomfortably hot to touch. Either cold and let it sit for a few days before changing, or nice and warm (my preference) but not hot enough to scald a cat.

Cue lengthy discussion about merits of changing oil hot / cold / on last Thursday of the month / when Moon is in Venus etc etc ;)

#22 ·
Lightech makes them as well. I hate juggling hot metal personally also but a pretty oil cap shouldn't be a hardship since I don't fondle it often...

#25 ·
Good summary!
If a hot oil cap is only encountered at oil change time, then a metal one isn't really a problem.
Aside:
Where's the best spot to safety wire a filler cap on the FZ-09? I'm not up for track days, etc... Just like the peace of mind. I used to live in an apartment complex where neighbor's little kids like to twist and turn stuff when noone's looking. That fear of someone monkeying with the oil cap is still with me. The KLR650 guys like a hex-keyed filler cap. I wired my stocker to the clutch cable mount. On the FZ, ___?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.