Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So being that I am a nerd and like little machined things, I wanted to replace my stock oil filler cap. Most manufacturers stick with the same one between all their bikes and Yamaha is no different. All the R1's and R6's and FJ's and other FZ's are the same. Well, the 09 is different. Does anyone know any other bikes it would cross reference with? I looked at the microfishe and the FZ-09 seems to have a different part number than any other yamaha (no, I didnt check them all, just a lot of common ones)

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hmmm weird, not sure why the hell they would do that, but it seems you're right. According to Rizoma's site it looks like the thread is M20x2.5 so whatever other caps will fit that thread should be fine. For comparison the R1 is listed as M27x3.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Look at some dirtbike caps as they are smaller than typical streetbike filler caps just like the FZ09 filler cap is smaller. And there are lots of aftermarket dirtbike oil fill caps.

·
Registered
248 Posts
A cap with a dipstick would be nice, I'm thinkin'.

I have a TTR at home, I might just see if the cap is interchangeable.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
A cap with a dipstick would be nice, I'm thinkin'.

I have a TTR at home, I might just see if the cap is interchangeable.
Not sure if a dipstick would work. Might interfere with a few parts inside the cover. Don't really see much value in a dipstick as it would require removal, cleaning off and then reinserting to get a reading and the sight window is right there at the same level, albeit way down low on the bike making it difficult to see with the bike balanced vertically so you can actually see the window unless you are using a rear stand.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jcfz6r, thanks for the heads up on the thread. It tells all threading for all rizoma caps on there site? That could easily be used to cross reference.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Jcfz6r, thanks for the heads up on the thread. It tells all threading for all rizoma caps on there site? That could easily be used to cross reference.

Well, at least it listed the R1 and MT-09 on there, probably has the others as well.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea, doesn't match the wheels, but I still like it. Especially at $15 and shipped from the US.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Dipstick = much easier.
Um.... nope.
If the dipstick is on the right side (like the perfectly functional, check-it-in-2-seconds sight glass), you'd have to hold the bike straight up and down with one hand while removing the dipstick, wipe it off one handed and reinsert it and then withdraw it again to check the oil.
Trust me. It's not easier.
After 120,000+ miles of doing that on a quartet of Hondas, I can say dipsticks are NOT the way to go.
=)

Reactions: 520FZ09

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
-1 For changing the stock cap. Metal caps get too hot to handle when changing oil.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts