Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all, ok im sure this has been covered plenty can some one possibly explain how the clutch and clutch plates get oil?It does not come from it been submerged in oil basket sits way to high, next there is no oil feed hole at tip of gearbox clutch drive shaft, like on some other model bikes that get oil from gearbox that runs inside shaft and out to basket.... Reason is this is my 2nd clutch basket with a crack, before any one asks its a Mt09 they wheelie off throttle LOL as every one here knows' so yes i do wheelie every now and then....BUT on inspection i have found plates to be dry i mean dry dry one or two spots here and there.
Which leads me to believe there is a lack of oil to some units that have been sold' ive been covering the internet and have come across alot of feeds,posts, so on regarding this issue of snapped plates and cracked or broken baskets...
Any info would be awesome.. Thank you

·
Registered
635 Posts
OK if there's,an oil shortage your friction plates are probably glazed and your steels are probably blued , which I doubt,an easier theory to prove would be the basket is junk so it breaks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah possible on the basket as the MT is a budget bike, and i dont mean that in an ugly way... My plates are ok just no oil, in between the carbon on the plate it has a slight blue color, steel plate you wont believe me not blue at all so im kinda lost,, when i removed everything i noticed hardly any oil inside the basket or on the basket so on.... So how the hell does oil get into the basket and onto plates? I guess its a mystery this 1 of mine.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
It covers it in the service manual. Shows the oil gallery's but right off hand I don't remember but the passages are there! Next time at a Yamaha shop as the service manager if you could take a peek at it ... that is if you don't own one ...when I installed my slipper clutch I will say it's not dripping wet like I have seen on other bikes !

·
Registered
694 Posts
I would suggest this system is for two reasons....the bike will accelerate faster without a fully immeresed clutch and the clutch is mounted fairly high so a full oil bath would need a fair bit of oil....my 2cts worth anyway...and for what it is worth I would suspect the lack of sufficient oil is the main reason for so many failures....dont forget when you wheelie the oil gallery may end up being starved of oil. Maybe a coating of oil before the clutch is re-assembled?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm not an engineer so I can't tell you if there's a oil issue ,I can tell you if you upgrade the basket and the plates there's no more oil issue.....

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I'm not an engineer so I can't tell you if there's a oil issue ,I can tell you if you upgrade the basket and the plates there's no more oil issue.....
If you are talking about replacing the the basket with a new factory one it is the same there has been no upgrade to it the part number is the same from though out all the years !

·
Registered
635 Posts
If you are talking about replacing the the basket with a new factory one it is the same there has been no upgrade to it the part number is the same from though out all the years !
No I'm talking about upgrading to the extreme basket and Barnett's plates

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok guys so i took a look at the manual the oil looks like it feeds down the main axel, does not use a drain hole at the tip but filters into the casings and some how gets dropped into the basket:confused: how the Hell? sorry about the crappy pics but would'nt the oil just be flung off? i will check for any blockages IMG_20181015_174441.jpg

·
Registered
694 Posts
That seems to be a good supply....I wonder is some bikes suffer from debris blocking it....maybe some left over manufacturing crap within the galleries somewhere? Yamaha certainly wouldnt want to admit their manufacturing process has a problem....more like.... fix it and deny all knowledge, seems to be the way today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
Steve H
Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
We’re the largest Yamaha forum for owners and enthusiasts of the FZ-09 and MT-09. The site has thousands of topics covering performance and reliability, photos, videos and more!
Full Forum Listing