Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
My ol KTM started using oil a couple springs ago. A lot of it. It was using 5-6oz of oil to a tank of fuel. On a dirt bike with a 2.5 ish gallons tank that ends up about 6oz of oil consumed in about 50 miles. You would think it would be smoking like a freight train, but nope. No puff of smoke on cold starts, no smoking whole riding. If I was running it really hard (think kinda flat tracking it) guys behind me would mention the smell of oil on hard decel in corners, but never saw any smoke. Spark plugs and exhaust were never oily. The bike was 18 years old and the original rings were slap worn out, but it never smoked a hint. Fresh set of rings on the original piston and it's his as new. I mention all that to illustrate that worn out rings don't always smoke like you think they will.

Do I think your rings are worn? Possible, but I doubt it. It can he difficult to get a super accurate reading on oil level. Be mindful about the bike being level. Even a little bit of tilt can have the oil sloshing around and give you different reasons.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Top it up to the top of the sight glass when the bike is vertical, then monitor it for a 1000 km's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
My ol KTM started using oil a couple springs ago. A lot of it. It was using 5-6oz of oil to a tank of fuel. On a dirt bike with a 2.5 ish gallons tank that ends up about 6oz of oil consumed in about 50 miles. You would think it would be smoking like a freight train, but nope. No puff of smoke on cold starts, no smoking whole riding. If I was running it really hard (think kinda flat tracking it) guys behind me would mention the smell of oil on hard decel in corners, but never saw any smoke. Spark plugs and exhaust were never oily. The bike was 18 years old and the original rings were slap worn out, but it never smoked a hint. Fresh set of rings on the original piston and it's his as new. I mention all that to illustrate that worn out rings don't always smoke like you think they will.

Do I think your rings are worn? Possible, but I doubt it. It can he difficult to get a super accurate reading on oil level. Be mindful about the bike being level. Even a little bit of tilt can have the oil sloshing around and give you different reasons.
I don't think the think the rings are worn... well I check the oil always in the same place, and check it various times until I see the exact same all the times. So I guess I am checking it well, it has really go down a lot, and I also can't smell any oil...
Top it up to the top of the sight glass when the bike is vertical, then monitor it for a 1000 km's.
That is what I will be doing... But what concers me is that most of people tell their bike doesn't use any oil, and mine used quite a lot! Even if I was riding it hard, it doesn't seem to be normal!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah, riding it hard shouldn't make the bike use any extra oil. Especially considering how hard we can actually ride on public streets. Definitely sounds like you need to watch it carefully ( which youalready are) to be certain you're not accidentally making a mistake somehow. Once you're certain it is actually using oil there's nothing left to do but fix it or get rid of it. Sucks.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Some car engine manufacturers consider up to a litre of oil per 2000km's to be acceptable, I don't but they build them.
Worry less and ride more, see what happens over the next 1000km's.
BTW how many km's on the bike?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yeah, riding it hard shouldn't make the bike use any extra oil. Especially considering how hard we can actually ride on public streets. Definitely sounds like you need to watch it carefully ( which youalready are) to be certain you're not accidentally making a mistake somehow. Once you're certain it is actually using oil there's nothing left to do but fix it or get rid of it. Sucks.
I am trying to check most of the things I can before taking conclusions... I will be posting some photos on my next post here on the topic, thank you for trying to help me!
Some car engine manufacturers consider up to a litre of oil per 2000km's to be acceptable, I don't but they build them.
Worry less and ride more, see what happens over the next 1000km's.
BTW how many km's on the bike?
Well, I have to worry, since if I want to do a nice trip, I will have to cary oil with me if can't find what is making the bike drink that much oil, and that won't be an option for me... I would prefer to have an old bike then...
I had similar problem with this oil in another bike
Probably it was just a coincidence, I think... any oil of a nice brand would perform the same if I am not mistaken, but maybe I will try another brand then, what are you using by the way?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi everyone!
Some things that might be important, my bike has 28,000km (if I haven't said yet), and does have a remap, I didn't notice any oil burning since them, and I made it like 1 year ago, do you guys think that that could have something to do with oil usage?

So, started checking things more deeply, removed the airbox, and it was like this, probably just oil from the bretaher and K&N filter, in my opinion...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Rim

Food Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Flooring

Then I removed this breather tube, I ordered a new one, just to be sure it wasn't the reason (like some other guys bike I saw here).
Water Sleeve Hood Font Electric blue

What do you guys think about the situation? I am going call the guy who make the remap today, so he can tell if that is a thing who happens on remapped bikes, but other than that, I am runing out of ideas!

Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I can't enlarge the photo. Was the breather hose kinked? If so, that'll do it. Guess how I found out?

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Just a thought, maybe take it to a professional instead of seeking the opinion of a thousand amateurs.
I'm sorry, did I forget to mention that I'm a qualified tradesman mechanic? With 55 years experience working on vehicles either in the trade or on my own machinery?
And there are many people here with at least as much knowledge as some of the ill trained Techs I've seen at dealerships.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I can't enlarge the photo. Was the breather hose kinked? If so, that'll do it. Guess how I found out?
It wasn’t kinked, i think, at least that I could see it, but I ordered a new one just in case…

Btw, sorry for the late answer, but I am on vacation! 😅

And I have some nice news about this situation, got a phone call from the place I have done the remap and they explained me since the oil is 3000km, it was very hot here in Portugal, and I was riding hard it probably is okay, because from low mark to top mark it was just 230ml of oil, probably I just didn’t check it that well, and when I have it a proper look I noticed that big diference in the oil level.
I really trust them, they are a very well known Mechanic/Support race team.

I will just top it up, ride 1000km and see what happens.
But based on what he said, any bike would drink just a little bit, most won’t be noticible, especialy on moded bikes, and most manofacturers tell until 200ml per 1000km is acceptable, so my bike isn’t that bad!

Will keep posting updates in the future, thanks everyone!

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Bikes are a constant source of joy, and worry.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts