Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
So, I just had an oil change around 3000km ago, and I filled the oil up close to the top level mark (kinda like the image I posted) and now after 3000km the level is now close to the centre (a bit up).
The question is, is this normal? I ride my bike hard most of the times, because I have some twesties close to my house, so I use a lot high revs, downshifts etc.
There is also summer here in Portugal, so sometimes temperatures are 30•c or even more, the oil I use is Motul 7100 10w40.
What do you guys think? I am bit worried… Thanks everyone in advance!

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Administrator
3,164 Posts
After you changed the oil, did you run the engine for several minutes or even ride the bike... then come back and check the level once again? The oil has to circulate the engine and fill the filter as well.

I don't seem to consume/burn any oil on my FZ at about 20,000 mi [32,200 km] and my bike sees weekly track wear and tear.

I wouldn't worry too much.
Just keep an eye on it, and top it up to keep it right below the max line on the sight glass.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After you changed the oil, did you run the engine for several minutes or even ride the bike... then come back and check the level once again? The oil has to circulate the engine and fill the filter as well.

I don't seem to consume/burn any oil on my FZ at about 20,000 mi [32,200 km] and my bike sees weekly track wear and tear.

I wouldn't worry too much.
Just keep an eye on it, and top it up to keep it right below the max line on the sight glass.
Yes, I checked it several times after the oil change, I check it most of the times I ride and I could have a feel it fall down a bit in the hot weather, and since I started riding her harder!
Well, I am worried, you do trackdays every week and yours doesnt go down…
My situation is weird then…

·
Administrator
3,164 Posts
Yes, I checked it several times after the oil change, I check it most of the times I ride and I could have a feel it fall down a bit in the hot weather, and since I started riding her harder!
Well, I am worried, you do trackdays every week and yours doesnt go down…
My situation is weird then…
Next, check your airbox.
Have you removed the airbox anytime recently? The crankcase vent tube notoriously gets pinched and can cause some issues. I have a small amount of oil film inside my box. But not enough to drastically lower my level.
Check it out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next, check your airbox.
Have you removed the airbox anytime recently? The crankcase vent tube notoriously gets pinched and can cause some issues. I have a small amount of oil film inside my box. But not enough to drastically lower my level.
Check it out.
I have never removed the airbox, just open it for maintenence on the K&N filter and everything was clean and dry, but with kinda small humidity from the engine breather yes…
But everything is ok there I think, because one time Iniverfilled the oil by mistake and ride for like 10km, and I opened the air box to check and I already had some small oil drops on the K&N filter mesh. So I assume everything is ok with that vent tube…

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
264 Posts
Brent's is not a Gen 3 though.
My Gen 3 also had a similar weird situation.
No oil consumption at all for the first 7000kms.
Then I check the oil at 7500 and boom, the level goes from High to Low. And I'm like, what happened? Till now there was no oil consumption at all even after a track day or hard riding.
I filled it up and checked again and didn't notice any oil consumption anymore.
It's like someone drained 300ml of oil overnight . I still have no explanation on what happened but I'm keeping an eye on my oil level.
I did the oil change at 9100kms and until now at 10400kms haven't noticed something... Maybe it's the warm weather because if I recall right the period that I noticed that lower oil level it was pretty hot here (even 40+ oC) and I was using the bike even like this 😁

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brent's is not a Gen 3 though.
My Gen 3 also had a similar weird situation.
No oil consumption at all for the first 7000kms.
Then I check the oil at 7500 and boom, the level goes from High to Low. And I'm like, what happened? Till now there was no oil consumption at all even after a track day or hard riding.
I filled it up and checked again and didn't notice any oil consumption anymore.
It's like someone drained 300ml of oil overnight . I still have no explanation on what happened but I'm keeping an eye on my oil level.
I did the oil change at 9100kms and until now at 10400kms haven't noticed something... Maybe it's the warm weather because if I recall right the period that I noticed that lower oil level it was pretty hot here (even 40+ oC) and I was using the bike even like this 😁
Mine is a gen 2 by the way!
Well, I tought about the weather too! Here in Portugal was also close to 40•c and I ride some of thoose says.
And I used to get my revs on corners close to 8k rpm, on a twistie road for like 2 hours or more, with like two 20 minute pauses.
So from what I am seeing I just ride the bike a bit too hard than what was needed, my previous bike was a 4 cylinder… 😅😂

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
All IC engines use oil, otherwise they would wear out and die.
It's often barely noticeable because contaminants replace the lost oil.
Just check the oil regularly, in the same manner, on a cold engine.
My first Cupra used 200 MLS from time to time, then stopped after 5000ks.
The 09 has never shown a drop in oil level.

Reactions: JotaPT

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All IC engines use oil, otherwise they would wear out and die.
It's often barely noticeable because contaminants replace the lost oil.
Just check the oil regularly, in the same manner, on a cold engine.
My first Cupra used 200 MLS from time to time, then stopped after 5000ks.
The 09 has never shown a drop in oil level.
Just found my engine at cold was with the oil at the minium level, added 120ml and it stayed in the middle (hot), then I added another 50ml, and when I arrive home I going to make a proper measure again to see if it is close to full now.
Anyway, the situation doesn't look normal to me, even with the hard riding and hight air temperatures.... What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2019 FZ-09
149 Posts
Anyway, the situation doesn't look normal to me... What do you guys think?
Loss of oil would manifest with blue smoke and spark plugs that no longer have that dry, dusty, gray appearance. They would be wet, blackened and oily.
The only other way you could be losing oil would be a bad seal somewhere and it would be obvious where you park your bike.
Next time you change your spark plugs, do a compression test. If there is a low cylinder put a teaspoon of oil in and recheck to see if the low pressure is from rings, or valve.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Loss of oil would manifest with blue smoke and spark plugs that no longer have that dry, dusty, gray appearance. They would be wet, blackened and oily.
The only other way you could be losing oil would be a bad seal somewhere and it would be obvious where you park your bike.
Next time you change your spark plugs, do a compression test. If there is a low cylinder put a teaspoon of oil in and recheck to see if the low pressure is from rings, or valve.
Well, I have no smoke (cold and hot engine), didn't check the spark plugs yet...
I have checked the engine from the outside and can't see anything on the seals, oil filter etc.
So, you think if I don't have any of thoose sympthoms that's probably low because of the hot weather, and high revs?
Thank you for your atenttion!

·
Registered
2019 FZ-09
149 Posts
... probably low because of the hot weather, and high revs?
Personally I am not familiar with either of those things causing oil consumption.
I wouldn't worry about it. Oil is cheap, obviously you check the level (maybe more focused than most people).

When it is time to change the plugs you will have more data. Typically engines don't "use oil" until they have very high miles.
My lawnmower is a quarter century old, and is beginning to make a puff of blue smoke when it starts up. It isn't really using oil though, so your bike is likely just fine.

I had an old Chevy Vega back in the 1980's with notorious aluminum cylinder walls, it barfed out blue smoke going up hills and was a piece of crap.
It would foul spark plugs with the oil, but even with that it didn't really "use" that much oil.

·
Registered
Yamaha MT 09 SP 2021
264 Posts
I noticed a couple of days ago that it was a bit greasy above the water pump. I cleaned and it could have been oil. No idea however what could leak and leave oil stain there.
Could be just water with dirt however.

PS.At the pic it's cleaned. I just wanted to point the area.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Personally I am not familiar with either of those things causing oil consumption.
I wouldn't worry about it. Oil is cheap, obviously you check the level (maybe more focused than most people).

When it is time to change the plugs you will have more data. Typically engines don't "use oil" until they have very high miles.
My lawnmower is a quarter century old, and is beginning to make a puff of blue smoke when it starts up. It isn't really using oil though, so your bike is likely just fine.

I had an old Chevy Vega back in the 1980's with notorious aluminum cylinder walls, it barfed out blue smoke going up hills and was a piece of crap.
It would foul spark plugs with the oil, but even with that it didn't really "use" that much oil.
I check the level almost every time I ride hahaha
I am just not used to all that oil consuption on a new bike and not that much kilometers (27,000km) and I think that is very weird, because like you said engines only use oil when they have more wear and miles...
It would be normal, if everyone told me that their bikes consume oil, but most of the people say it doesn't, I am just hoping it happened because of the hot weather and high revs!

I noticed a couple of days ago that it was a bit greasy above the water pump. I cleaned and it could have been oil. No idea however what could leak and leave oil stain there.
Could be just water with dirt however.

PS.At the pic it's cleaned. I just wanted to point the area.
I will check mine, but I think everything is clean and dry on my bike!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts