Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the first 3 oil changes before 1500miles with conventional oil.

Now after 1500 i switched to synthetic and dont know how often i should change it.

Any help please. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
this is a very personal question so take everyone's opinion with that in mind.

Even with synthetic - my understanding is that this doesn't really boost the oil change interval as it does in a car - mostly because the oil is being used in far more components (the clutch) than a car.

I'll switch to synthetic on my next change (coming out of winter) @ almost 5k miles. I'll still plan to change every 3k miles after that but i go to 3500 i dont think it will be the end of the world.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did mine as follows: break in oil at 300 miles, synthetic for 1k miles, conventional every 3k now. ~6k miles thus far.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I change the Busa oil with Royal Purple every 3,000, but the oil still looks perfect so I reuse it in the riding mower. I plan to switch to synthetic at 1000 miles on the FZ.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
To be honest, I'd personally still change it as per the owners manual, even if it's synthetic, but that is just my personal preference.

I'd also spend the few extra bucks and change the filter at the same time. I know the service manual says to change the oil every 4000 miles, and oil filter every 8000 miles. But I would change the filter at every oil change. I also like the idea of adding an earth magnet to the oil filter to trap any small metal particles getting through the filter.

I know it costs more in the long run, but it's worth it to me.
oil-change.jpg

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Taggat, why would you go back and forth between the two?

A degreed chemist once told me you can switch from mineral to synthetic, but never the other way around due to the composition of the oil seals. Sounds like you could be in for problems ahead.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
To be honest, I'd personally still change it as per the owners manual, even if it's synthetic, but that is just my personal preference.

I'd also spend the few extra bucks and change the filter at the same time. I know the service manual says to change the oil every 4000 miles, and oil filter every 8000 miles. But I would change the filter at every oil change. I also like the idea of adding an earth magnet to the oil filter to trap any small metal particles getting through the filter.

I know it costs more in the long run, but it's worth it to me.
View attachment 11729
I agree. Why run a change of new, clean oil through a dirty filter? I never understood that logic and have always done all of my vehicles with new filters every oil change.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did the first 3 oil changes before 1500miles with conventional oil.

Now after 1500 i switched to synthetic and dont know how often i should change it.

Any help please. Thank you.
The owners manual say to switch to the Yamalube that is a full synthetic after the first service interval. Just go with the maint interval in the book. It is set up for that oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys for all the information.

Ill go max 3k miles thats for sure if i feel like ill do it earlier than that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've run good grade (Mobil 1, Redline, etc) full synthetic in bikes since the early 90's and some of these engines have been single cylinder 35hp lumps up through 12,000rpm engines with 170hp. What you "feel" you need vs. how the oil is actually holding up is always different and the end result is owners typically change full synthetic oil too early.

If you want to find out how your specific brand of oil (regular or synthetic) is holding up in your bike, send it off for an analysis to Blackstone Labs. Here's a link --->. Motorcycle You may be surprised at the results and end up saving money in the long run. .

·
Registered
962 Posts
I change the filter every time, and I use the table in the manual as a max rather than the norm. If I went for a cross continental ride with all highway time then I might wait until 4,000 miles if that was the end of the trip. But most of my riding is short commuting type trips, or a few hours of strafing - so 2,000 to 3,000 miles is more my norm.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
A good like to breaking your engine and when to swap over to synthetic. I think he says you can swap over to synthetic after 1500 miles, and no sooner. You have to make sure the engine is properly broken in before swapping over to synthetic.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Which follows my brothers advice who is a 30+ year license mechanic with many engine rebuilds under his belt. Ride it like you stole it! lol.

He says yes, take it easy the first 100 miles, then ride it like how you intend to ride it. If you baby it for too long you will regret it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've run good grade (Mobil 1, Redline, etc) full synthetic in bikes since the early 90's and some of these engines have been single cylinder 35hp lumps up through 12,000rpm engines with 170hp. What you "feel" you need vs. how the oil is actually holding up is always different and the end result is owners typically change full synthetic oil too early.

If you want to find out how your specific brand of oil (regular or synthetic) is holding up in your bike, send it off for an analysis to Blackstone Labs. Here's a link --->. Motorcycle You may be surprised at the results and end up saving money in the long run. .
I have sent samples of oil and fuel to Blackstone Labs myself and it is a good source to use if you have any concerns fuel or oil related.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Very good point. Most people change their oil earlier than necessary. I understand it can be peace of mind for some, but a lot of times unnecessary. Most people would also rather buy cheap oil and change it more often, rather than use quality product with the potential to extend drain interval and actually save money in the long run. Oil analysis is a very useful tool, not just for determining whether your oil is still suitable for continued use, but for getting a good look at what is going on inside your engine. I perform oil analysis on all of my vehicles, and will be doing so with my FZ-09 as well when the time comes- will be a while however, probably later on in the riding season next year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts