Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to document the first oil change and this is as good a way to do it as any.

There may be the odd question or 2 coming out of this, specially with the filter examination. I have only seen this "-50" filter, I understand there are other revision levels, so if you have pictures of the earlier version, post 'em up.
9 picture links to follow;-

So what do you think

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
It all looks to be what mine did after about 200 miles, i then changed it again at 600. It wasn't as cloudy as the first time. I liked the oil filter dissection.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for this.

Do you know what size oil filter wrench is needed? I see yours is adjustable. Would like to get the exact one.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Very nice to see that I'm not the only one cutting open oil filters... although I did find this contraption to make the opening of an oil filter a whole lot quicker and easier:

Tool

Made by Longacre Racing (part # 77750)

Anyway... I've been using a FilterMag on my FZ6's oil filters and am always curious to look inside the filter where the magnet is to see what, if anything, has been caught by the magnet.

The filter from Yamaha may be pricey... but I would stay away from Fram filters (commonly referred to as the "orange can of death" where I work). Some interesting oil filter data here if you are interested.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for this.

Do you know what size oil filter wrench is needed? I see yours is adjustable. Would like to get the exact one.
I don't remember the size of that wrench, but it only works to remove a filter. Think I got it from Pep boys.
You could probably buy the filter, take it to the local auto store and get one that fits exactly - or get a strap wrench that fits it. They work quite well

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice to see that I'm not the only one cutting open oil filters... although I did find this contraption to make the opening of an oil filter a whole lot quicker and easier:

View attachment 1650

Made by Longacre Racing (part # 77750)

Anyway... I've been using a FilterMag on my FZ6's oil filters and am always curious to look inside the filter where the magnet is to see what, if anything, has been caught by the magnet.

The filter from Yamaha may be pricey... but I would stay away from Fram filters (commonly referred to as the "orange can of death" where I work). Some interesting oil filter data here if you are interested.
Interesting looking tool, but the tin snips work for me. I don't cut them open very often. Fram seems to be getting a bad rep for a long time, but after cutting open a few of their filters and comparing them to others - they are not really that bad. I have heard the story of the one that blew off a race bike, but do we know all the details?? They modified that filter to put a better thread on and there are other things that can cause a filter to blow off - for example, Toyota decided not to put a positive stop for the filter adapter on the 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. So you are at the mercy of how the production line installer threads it in - Check out this link I put a complaint in with the NHTSA, but nothing was ever done.

I have visited the Calsci site of few times as well and that got me into cutting open the filters - after they have been used, not before. Some of the things he says are good, others need proof from flow testing of the filters under controlled conditions - which none of us have - so I prefer to limit my comments to the mechanical/geometry aspects of the filter.

Whilst I suspect (cannot prove one way or another) that the bypass is open with cold oil and thus does very little filtering until the oil is hot, I do like filters that have end caps on them. Weather they are glued on cardboard (Honda auto OEM) or metal RTV'd on. It just makes the oil go thru the filter element - at least when hot - I hope.

I also like the standard Purolator filter rather than their pure 1 filter(auto's only), which I think has too much filter media - so that it acts as a solid block rather than a series of thin sheets

I did cut open a Fram high mileage filter and found it to be very well made with pleat supports to prevent the pleats from collapsing, but they are kind of pricey. But regular filters have jumped in price over the last couple of years, it would be nice for that trend to reverse. But the price of filters seems to be tied to the price of a MacDonald's #1 meal - which I think will hit $10 in the next 3 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts