Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got the rear shock done, today, and just waiting for a 1091-31 / 105 spring to replace the current 95.

After reading some discussion about the ZX 10 shock being about 8 mm longer, made the correction to FZ 09 13 inch fit.

Shock not adjustable, but had a deep clevis so I was able to move the hole.

This involved some machine work .

1st step was to plug the existing holes so drill wouldn't pull in that direction and to get a clean new hole location.

This involved making a press fit insert with a slight flare on one end, and peening the other end like a rivet.

The pictures will tell the tale. Tack welded one side, but turns out I didn't really have to .

1st picture , plug made............2nd picture installed.

The Ohlins had a 13 mm insert on 1 side, so made 10 and 13 mm plugs.

Punch mark shows where new hole will be centered.

Reactions: v2Bob and skooter65

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
thats awesome.. so if you had to do it again, what would be the only mods you have to do? Maybe you can help me fit my Ohlins on the FZ-09. I'll pay you of course. :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In moving the hole, also had to move the flat area up for bolt to seat.

Did this on the mill.

In the 2nd picture, the 13 mm insert can be seen on the inside, bottom.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thats awesome.. so if you had to do it again, what would be the only mods you have to do?

Maybe you can help me fit my Ohlins on the FZ-09. I'll pay you of course. :)
Looks like I can do the plugs without the weld on 1 side , so makes it easier.

I just ordered some more machine tool goodies that will make things quicker.

If I knew how to get the clevis off, or just had one handed to me, could set up and do quicker.

Having done it once , already, next one would go a lot quicker.

What Ohlins do you have ?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some tools fairly high tech.

Some, like the peening hammer, not so much. :cool:

Reactions: 204rider and v2Bob

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent Build! I love seeing stuff like this. Although, it makes me want many more tools for my garage.
Tell me 'bout it.

I found a shop on the net in Canada that had all kinds of neat machine tool accessories I hadn't been able to find

locally for years. San Diego is a bit of a 1 horse town on a lot of industrial stuff.

Bought about 120 Lbs that my UPS guy might not be fond of, especially since I live upstairs.

I'll leave him a note to leave at foot of stairs.

Whole bunch of goodies like countersinks, counter bores, mill tool holders, collets ( metric and US )

Thread mics, carbide cutters, arbors, indexing table and chuck for the mill, precision rotating vise, and so on.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before molesting the shock, had to see if it would fit , especially the head.

Didn't want to cut the tray till I did know if it would fit, so loosened up a zillion wire

connectors, screws, plastic locks, etc. and raised the front of the tray about 4 inches or more.

Installed shock, the eyeballed for cut area. White lines show intended cut area.

The dull box cutter I had at the moment kind of took it's own course as seen in the "after " pics.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Lovely. Wish I had the machinery to do all those goodies. Machinist by trade (CNC programmer... well been a while)

Miss fabricating parts like this. All I have is a hammer, hacksaw and a tig welder... oh, cordless drill too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The other part was to check the clevis end for clearance.

It still had enough room inside to allow bolt to be moved 8 mm to correct to FZ 09 length.

Not sure if the OEM ZX 10 shock has the same room or not.

In this setup, the eye of bike linkage is moved 8 mm forward of existing Ohlins bolt holes.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lovely. Wish I had the machinery to do all those goodies. Machinist by trade (CNC programmer... well been a while)

Miss fabricating parts like this. All I have is a hammer, hacksaw and a tig welder... oh, cordless drill too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I hadn't had the luxury of using a collet setup for over 40 years, since high school.

Can now make small stuff like spacers, inserts, etc. for myself and local riders a lot quicker, now.

CNC is waaay " above my pay grade " , for sure.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The Ohlins had a 13 mm insert on 1 side, so made 10 and 13 mm plugs.

Punch mark shows where new hole will be centered.

Update: Lower hole needed to be 12mm instead of 10.

Mill was still set up, so was easy to open holes up to 12 mm.

Easiest way to adjust preload is screw driver ( with rubber hose sleeve ) levered through frame.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Looks like I can do the plugs without the weld on 1 side , so makes it easier.

I just ordered some more machine tool goodies that will make things quicker.

If I knew how to get the clevis off, or just had one handed to me, could set up and do quicker.

Having done it once , already, next one would go a lot quicker.

What Ohlins do you have ?
I have an ohlins off a 2005 Ducati Monster S4R. It has detached nitrogen reservoir and pre-load adjuster. It has less than 4k miles on it. IF i did install it I would have it re-sealed etc prior. What do you think? Its a DU-333 type code S46HR1C1S

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an ohlins off a 2005 Ducati Monster S4R. It has detached nitrogen reservoir and pre-load adjuster. It has less than 4k miles on it. IF i did install it I would have it re-sealed etc prior. What do you think? Its a DU-333 type code S46HR1C1S
I don't know much about that shock.

A picture next to a tape measure for scale would be helpful.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Roughly 12 inches eye to eye.

Hardest part would be to convert lower eye to clevis.

Would have to be sourced from a donor shock or made from solid aluminum ( time consuming ).

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Roughly 12 inches eye to eye.

Hardest part would be to convert lower eye to clevis.

Would have to be sourced from a donor shock or made from solid aluminum ( time consuming ).
Actually I think its 13"

I'm pretty good with CAD, if I had some measurements I can build one out and do a stress analysis if needed. There is a couple places in town I can get something CNC'd.

If your interested, I wouldn't mind helping you out with CAD stuff in exchange.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually I think its 13"

I'm pretty good with CAD, if I had some measurements I can build one out and do a stress analysis if needed. There is a couple places in town I can get something CNC'd.

If your interested, I wouldn't mind helping you out with CAD stuff in exchange.
The perspective / angle in the picture threw me off.

I had subtracted 5 1/2 from 17 1/2 and came up with 12.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts