Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a suspension shop yesterday to discuss if they'd install new fork springs and rear shock if I get them from Nick.

They are an authorized ohlins dealer so he did tell me that ohlins has finally considered the fz has enough traction to warrant a set up. He's getting the first shipment of their fully adjustable rear shock and front fork system later this month. Rough pricing he told me on both front and year was around 1200 for the front about the same for the rear.

I know ohlins has a great rep but I don't see the need for dropping that kind of coin into the front shock when nicks solution seems to mitigate front end dive and stiffen up the front end for significantly less.

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on why the price gap would be so large. I'm assuming just Springs with no oil may still net some dive when brakes are applied - a heavier oil would solve this and the gp kit would add more adjustability. So what will ohlins offer for substantially more - i guess we'll have to find out but likely not the option I'll go with.

Anyway in case anyone was interested. He said he'd call me when it came in and when he receives final pricing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've been extremely happy with my single adjustable rear shock from Ohlins, had it put on earlier this month.

As for the front, the proper fix is extremely expensive, so I'll most likely be doing the stoltec band-aid method. It's not a full fix, but it's good enough for me.

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part Suspension part Yellow Auto part Cuisine Tire Vehicle Auto part Automotive tire Car

·
Registered
227 Posts
My dealer said I should just replace the coil on the rear shock for my weight (190lbs). I'll probably go with the spring/oil solution for the front forks. I don't plan on entering a GP race anytime soon, I just want it to help it keep it's nose down when I want it too :)

·
Registered
196 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've been extremely happy with my single adjustable rear shock from Ohlins, had it put on earlier this month.

As for the front, the proper fix is extremely expensive, so I'll most likely be doing the stoltec band-aid method. It's not a full fix, but it's good enough for me.

View attachment 4859 View attachment 4860 View attachment 4861
Is that ohlins s46dr1? I had that on my sv650. I weigh 205 and the ohlins was awesome. I think they are about $620 retail?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Shit, I couldn't tell ya the part#, went to my local suspension guy to see what my options were, and he set me up with this and baselined it for me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Went to a suspension shop yesterday to discuss if they'd install new fork springs and rear shock if I get them from Nick.

They are an authorized ohlins dealer so he did tell me that ohlins has finally considered the fz has enough traction to warrant a set up. He's getting the first shipment of their fully adjustable rear shock and front fork system later this month. Rough pricing he told me on both front and year was around 1200 for the front about the same for the rear.

I know ohlins has a great rep but I don't see the need for dropping that kind of coin into the front shock when nicks solution seems to mitigate front end dive and stiffen up the front end for significantly less.

I'm wondering if anyone has an idea on why the price gap would be so large. I'm assuming just Springs with no oil may still net some dive when brakes are applied - a heavier oil would solve this and the gp kit would add more adjustability. So what will ohlins offer for substantially more - i guess we'll have to find out but likely not the option I'll go with.

Anyway in case anyone was interested. He said he'd call me when it came in and when he receives final pricing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Ron from WCW?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'll call up the suspension shop to see if I can source the Ohlin's part number. I've been extremely happy with it, as I'm a bigger guy at around 220lbs, the shock is solid as a rock and makes the bike feel all the more planted.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'll call up the suspension shop to see if I can source the Ohlin's part number. I've been extremely happy with it, as I'm a bigger guy at around 220lbs, the shock is solid as a rock and makes the bike feel all the more planted.
Awesome to hear. I'm close to your weight so this shock sounds like it would be perfect for me!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Reactions: DreamFZ
1 - 20 of 40 Posts