Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I just changed a spring on a K-Tech shock and it's ridiculously easy. Probably is on an Ohlins also. 115 seems pretty stiff for 240 pounds. my 2 cents.
The Ohlins I had used a collet retainer, which is far from easy. You need a sturdy spring compressor, there's a lot of force in that spring.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Ohlins I had used a collet retainer, which is far from easy. You need a sturdy spring compressor, there's a lot of force in that spring.
Depends on the shock and how its set up. I have one bike where I just back off the collets and the spring falls off.

But if you have to compress it, a quality spring compressor is a must.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
OK, Ohlins must use both options. two threaded adjusters does make it a doddle.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Have you asked at local bike shops? Just take it in and get them to swap springs. 15 mins max.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Guys, do you know some good spring compressor, for hard springs?
When I changed out the spring on my shock last month, I had found a video using ratcheting straps to compress the spring. i ended up not having to do it as there was enough room to back off the preload to not have any tension and the retaining clip just pops out. the retaing clip appears to be identicle on Ohlins and K-tech which I have. I used 2 ratchet straps to compress the fork springs and they worked well. It's a pretty easy job by my experience. See the 2 attached videos.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I made a frame and used the compression plate the Ohlins guy lent me to change the shock spring a few years back. I used ratchet straps on a home built frame to compress the fork springs a few weeks ago.
Having felt the force that was on the frame when doing the shock, I don't know if I'd trust straps. One of mine slipped with just a little pressure on it from the fork spring and that went with a bang.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
My brother has free sag on his SP. Same as my setup, 10mm static sag, 35mm rider sag and he's about 7kg's lighter than me, and I believe the spring rate is the same as mine

·
Registered
773 Posts
Static sag is particularly important if you plan to ride your bike hard ,when your not on it,but seriously it's the least important part of the equation

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
My brother has free sag on his SP. Same as my setup, 10mm static sag, 35mm rider sag and he's about 7kg's lighter than me, and I believe the spring rate is the same as mine
With 95N/mm spring and def. 14mm of preload? That is default with SP, and per manual. I tried few SPs, and the one yesterday, and 0 free sag. Two other people here reported the same problem.

Ohlins messed up calculations. YA 535 is great shock, but numbers in manual are wrong!!!

I ride my bike hard on shitty roads (mountain, away from people, small tight curves), and i need to have static.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
His is stock, measured, but as supplied. He does have static sag. Unless SP spec is different there from ours.
But I'd be surprised if that were the case.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I may have missed it, but what is the fix for this? With 0 preload on the adjuster, max free sag is like 6.3mm, @ 35mm rider sag it is half that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I may have missed it, but what is the fix for this? With 0 preload on the adjuster, max free sag is like 6.3mm, @ 35mm rider sag it is half that.
If i understand your R1 is 6.3 mm, and R2-R3 is 35mm. So R1-R3 is 41.3 mm and that is perfect, as shock has 130mm. 41.3/130 is 31.7 %.
On the front shoot R1-R3 to 42-45 mm if forks are not moved ont tripple clamps. Counter int. on MT09 when front is while riding lower than back you gain stability on high speed...

41 - 54 of 54 Posts