Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i have problem with OHLINS YA 535.

I orderd it with, was asked about my mass. 110kg/240pounds.
So they springed it with 01092-31 115 N/mm spring.
Problem is i dont have free sag, even when hydro adjuster is all way out.
R1-R2 is 0. Per manual (writings on first pic are from factory)
R1-R3 is 34, should be 38. Free sag should be 10 mm.
Hydro ajdjuster is all way back, 0 free sag. Did they puit me wrong spring (lenght, or to hard)?

Anyone has YA535? Do you have free sag?
ty

·
Registered
195 Posts
The spring is too strong.I'd stay with OEM 1092-31.That is what I use on my 335 and with stock settings and same kilos with you ,I have 38mm sag.On the road feels fine and stiffer than standard.
My opinion...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hydro adjuster= hydraulic preload adjuster( oil inside and knob), sometimes i ride my wife.
Ohlins picked up my spring when i was ordering. 31 is 95N/mm, acording to racetech calculator i should have even 120N/mm.
I dont have problem with total sag. 34 is fine. I want free sag.

I have shock like guy on the video. Point is if you click on video (time tag, there is some space from adjuster to the end of the shock). I dont have any space to lessen the spring tension.
If you check the second picture, i dont have any space to unwind the spring.
Length of 01092 should be 170mm

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
34mm rider sag is OK. Maybe a 110 spring would suit better. It should give a bit more rider sag and static sag.
You could also try setting installed preload to 5 or 6 mm instead of 11. But you have to have some. You can't run zero.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Possible language issue. In the manual they do call it Hydraulic Adjuster, it is the knob labeled in the picture spring preload, black knob , no tools necessary. Clockwise to increase, counter clockwise to decrease. Turning the knob moves the collar with the pin and will adjust the spring preload. You Might have it turned all the way to a stop.

The guy in the video is funny, no useful information there, except how not to use a scale.

Good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got response from Ohlins. They said that lower part of the shock should be replaced, spring clip 00629-xx. Where xx is the number they still dont know.
I can live with 0 free sag, but it kils me to know i payed so much, and its not perfect. The shock is much better then stock peace of shit yamaha put on the bike.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Why should you replace parts on a new shock? The supplier should do that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why should you replace parts on a new shock? The supplier should do that.
I asked today, still didnt get the answer. To me it would be fair if they fixed it. I was about to order NIX 30, but i wont if they dont fix the shock...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You will not get free sag with that spring.
Spring is fine, and that is from Ohlins. Distributor told me that i keep the spring, assembly is wrong.

You can get spring rate calculation from racetech.

This is for my wight and style. I didnt do track days with this bike yet cos i have small kid and cos of ilness of me and wife...but i plan to

Modifiers:
Select the tech: Send to Race Tech
Riding Type: Canyon
Skill Level: Expert/A Class
Stiffness Preference: Standard Stiffness
Lowering: Not Lowered
Rider Weight: 242.5084882

FRONT FORK SPRINGS
Recommended Front Spring Rate:1.04 kg/mm (Use closest available)
Stock Front Spring Rate:0.74 kg/mm (stock)

I have 10N/mm k tech springs in stock forks (18MT09) oil with motul 7.5W [email protected] and rebound at MAXED in
R1-R3 is 40, static is ok, zero preload.
Compression sucks, HI speed

Modifiers:

Select the tech: Send to Race Tech
Riding Type: Canyon
Skill Level: Expert/A Class
Stiffness Preference: Standard Stiffness
Lowering: Not Lowered
Rider Weight: 242.5084882
Sag: 40 mm

REAR SHOCK SPRINGS
Recommended Spring Rate:12.35 kg/mm (Use closest available)
Stock Spring Rate:10 kg/mm (stock)
Adapter collars - Springs require all listed adapter collars/bushings

I have 115N/mm

R1-R3 =34, free sag is 0

·
Registered
195 Posts
I did not use any calculator on mine.I bought,tried 3 harder than stock Ohlins springs.The best ,softest is with -31.Beside these I tried GT Tracer shock and Hyperpro spring for the OEM shock.Softest feeling is OEM,Hyperpro and then Ohlins -31.The Hyperpro is better at bumps.Preload at these 4th for OEM and 14mm for Ohlins.My kilos are 107.I have health problem with my lower back! If you find a good compromise let us know...

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
If it's assembled wrong it needs to go back to the supplier to be assembled correctly. Are you not able to do that?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it's assembled wrong it needs to go back to the supplier to be assembled correctly. Are you not able to do that?
I still didnt get the answer from OHLINS...

This 629 is part i need to replace. With a smaller one. At the top of the shock i have infinite adjusters, so i just need the spring collar that is lower.
Like this

·
Registered
195 Posts
The spring you wear is 170mm long free length.The preload is 14mm standard.Take a measurement to yours.
It is in mounting instructions pdf above.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The spring you wear is 170mm long free length.The preload is 14mm standard.Take a measurement to yours.
It is in mounting instructions pdf above.
spring lenght, preloaded is 160. So 170-*160 is 10 mm.

This is yours. I wish the lower part was like yours. So i could respring it in my garage. I dont have spring compressor.
As far as i see you can change spring easy....i cant
I would like to repleace my lower part with infinetly adjustable rings like on this picture.

And i just simply cant understand if you have 110kgs how is 95N/mm ok with you. I dont know, maybe smoth roads and different riding style.

I realy like the bike, i considered superduke R. But on my roads (canyon) i would be slower with superduke (heavy), and the yamaha service is 3kms from my home, and KTM is farther. I like small technical curvy roads, and i like supermoto style better than supersport. This bike is perfect fit for me and my needs (canyon, split lane in heavy traffic).

This year i fix suspension (even if i have to go back to gym and lose 10kgs) and respring. Next i lose warranty and i go wollich tune and akrapovič.
Ty you for input on the problem. Damn local ohlins.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The 10mm preload is the least you can get with that ring?You can not go far less than that I think.My opinion is to try the standard spring and see by yourself.It is not that expensive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 10mm preload is the least you can get with that ring?You can not go far less than that I think.My opinion is to try the standard spring and see by yourself.It is not that expensive.
Yes m8, i cant go lower than 10mm becouse adjuster cant go more back.
What is your R1-R2 (free sag) and your R1-R3 total static sag??? Im 109-11kgs honest(without gear).
If i have 33-34 mm drop when i sit and 2-3mm of static, acording to my wife. Spring is not that expensive, but chaniging it is pain in the ass, i cant change it myself.
Plse write your sag numbers, its same damn shock.

Interesting thing is that i can get 10mm from preload adjuster full in. P
reload is then 10 mm, it is great when i ride with my wife.
My solution is changing collar to smaller one, and i can adjust preaload with that upper ring. Maybe i can try 105N/mm...

·
Registered
195 Posts
At 14mm preload: R1-R2=3mm, R1-R3=30mm
With 12mm preload: R1-R2=7mm, R1-R3=36mm
My weight 107,9kgs.These without helmet and jacket.
I hope It helps!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts