Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 165lbs and have .85 with 7.5w fork upgrade, now i want to upgrade the rear, what is the best for street use only between Ohlins Single Clicker Shock and Penske 8900E since Elka dont have fz-09 rear shock at this time, (i dont want to invest more that 650$ on it).

I dont want harsh ride, i like the Ohlins and i think that it was one of the best brand since lots of bike have it as oem but i think that some find it to harsh on the fz-09, what do you suggest between this 2 shocks and feedback from rider wo have it on your bike will be appreciate!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
haha, i've spent my entire morning doing shock research and had it narrowed down to these two as well. I'm going to go with Ohlins for the reason fizzer stated. No personal experience with either, just my two cents.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Im 165lbs and have .85 with 7.5w fork upgrade, now i want to upgrade the rear, what is the best for street use only between Ohlins Single Clicker Shock and Penske 8900E since Elka dont have fz-09 rear shock at this time, (i dont want to invest more that 650$ on it).

I dont want harsh ride, i like the Ohlins and i think that it was one of the best brand since lots of bike have it as oem but i think that some find it to harsh on the fz-09, what do you suggest between this 2 shocks and feedback from rider wo have it on your bike will be appreciate!
So tell me more about what u did to the front...That is my next step.....

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'm sure the Penske is great but I have zero complaints with my ohlins rear

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you find it harsh vs stock?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like i said, .85 sonic with 7.5w oil (10w oil made the front suspension too stiff in cold climate like here in Canada) and new seal as recommanded by nick but i think that .90 wil be better, .85 was a big improvment vs stock, compression adjustment on stock springs was on the max but with the .85 it was 3 or 4 before the max, more made the front suspension to stiff but front still dive to much for my tastes on hard braking, the reason i think that .90 spring with less compression (half the adjustment) will be better but i dont want to remove the fork to install new spring and maybe made the fork to stiff.

Anyway, with set-up, at 165lbs, i can accelerate at 3/4 of the throttle in 1st gear and at full throttle in 2nd gear and no wheelies with the rear shock set at 4 on coil adjustment and rebound 1/4 of the max but the ride was stiff and little bouncy, the reason i need to upgrade the rear shock!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Do you find it harsh vs stock?
Not sure if you're asking me but it's much stiffer - but not uncomfortable (I don't feel like my teeth are going to fall out when I hit a bump). If I didn't get the suspension squared away I would have sold this bike now that I've done just the rear shock - I know this is a bike I'll have for a long time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exactly what i think, ohlins was a top notch product, the reason it was oem on so many bikes, for penske, the base 8900E seem to be not the same league that the ohlins, the reason why many go with the 8983 double clicker but i dont like the ugly reservoir, i will go with the ohlins with the correct specs fo me if Elka dont launch is shock soon ;-)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
id doubt i could tell the difference between the shocks with the riding i do (i've never been to the track). The truth is - anything is better than the stock suspension but the ohlins is super clean, easy to modify and is exactly what my bike needed (and was cheaper)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I went with the ohlins because it was set up for my weight pretty much right out of the box. The rear shock was such a problem I thought a couple of times I was gonna wreck it coming into some pretty bumpy corners. After an hour of riding with it I think I could live with the front end for another year before making any major changes with it. Not that the front is good but the rear shock is that bad. Especially if you over >200lbs.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Abe wasn't joking about Kyle's Racing Store. Very very quick to respond and they are having a very good deal on the shock. I'll be ordering mine by the end of the week.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Exactly what i think, ohlins was a top notch product, the reason it was oem on so many bikes, for penske, the base 8900E seem to be not the same league that the ohlins, the reason why many go with the 8983 double clicker but i dont like the ugly reservoir, i will go with the ohlins with the correct specs fo me if Elka dont launch is shock soon ;-)
The remote reservoir shocks from Penske and other brands are superior to both the 8900E and Ohlins decarbon unit, make no mistake. You get a lot more adjustment and even better damping. Make no mistake about that. Trust me when I say the only reason to choose the Ohlins over the Penske (or comparable) double or triple clickers is cost. A decarbon unit is more or less an attempt to try to recreate the benefits of a remote reservoir unit in a housing the size of a conventional emulsion shock, and there ARE tradeoffs you get for trying to make the package more compact (with a lot less fluid inside). If you CAN afford to step up to a remote reservoir shock, I think you should. Whether or not you like the look of a remote reservoir I think is very minor in comparison to the benefits you're getting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts