Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard from my suspension guy that he received the shock yesterday (Ohlins has been on massive back order as they severely under estimated demand) - i have an appointment next Saturday to get it installed.

I'll update this thread with pricing, specs, pictures and a ride report once it's installed. Stoked!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just heard from my suspension guy that he received the shock yesterday (Ohlins has been on massive back order as they severely under estimated demand) - i have an appointment next Saturday to get it installed.

I'll update this thread with pricing, specs, pictures and a ride report once it's installed. Stoked!
is your suspension guy local to NJ? is he doing the install or are you taking it on?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
is your suspension guy local to NJ? is he doing the install or are you taking it on?
Yes he is, Ron at Washington cycle works http://washingtoncycleworks.com/. Never worked with him before but other guys really recommended him and so far in dealing with him he's been awesome.

He'll be doing the install for me, I don't trust myself with suspension.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the means to pay for the install and not a lot of time to do it so I'm fine with having him install it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have the means to pay for the install and not a lot of time to do it so I'm fine with having him install it.
Ron and crew are top notch. You are in good hands!
I can completely agree with this sentiment. I really want to learn how to do myself, but I am afraid that I would screw it up and not calibrate it properly. It would be even better if I had someone watching over my shoulder, sort of telling me if I am about to royally screw everything up. But as far as I know, that "rent an engineer" service doesn't exist yet (patent pending).

Not to mention time is a valuable commodity. So I'd probably leave it in the hands of the experts.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can completely agree with this sentiment. I really want to learn how to do myself, but I am afraid that I would screw it up and not calibrate it properly. It would be even better if I had someone watching over my shoulder, sort of telling me if I am about to royally screw everything up. But as far as I know, that "rent an engineer" service doesn't exist yet (patent pending).

Not to mention time is a valuable commodity. So I'd probably leave it in the hands of the experts.
This is the exact boat I'm in. This is my first new bike and first time I'm doing a lot of my own tinkering. For smaller things I don't mind the task but for something serious like suspension, I want to make sure it's done right. I have no previous experience with this, I work behind a desk all day, Ron on the other hand does this for a living and is really good at it, therefor - executive decision made.

Cthouse coming soon - rent an engineer (pay with BeerPal) = gold!

·
Registered
369 Posts
When you do get this installed, I may have to make the trek up north to the next NNJ ride to check it out.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you do get this installed, I may have to make the trek up north to the next NNJ ride to check it out.
Absolutely. I'm central Morris county so easy for me to head south too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I this the one they sell on EBAY for about 500 euros?, no remote reservoir , they list complete shock and cartridge kits for $1400 bucks NZ

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
OK Beck....it's been like 4 hours since your last post......where's the ride report? Don't make me ban you for insubordination!!! :cool:

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
He's undoubtedly out riding :cool:

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well I rode pretty much non stop from 10am until now and all I can say is probably not family friendly for this forum.

I figured the shock would make a difference, I had no idea it would completely transform this bike. Even with no front fork modifications, cornering was insane. My biggest issue is calming my anxiety of cornering harder. I've never owned a bike with good suspension so when I push it the bike starts to pogo, my ass puckers and I've had to back off.

Now I get to that same point, my ass still puckers but the bike is just stuck to the road.

I loved riding this bike before but somehow I'm even more stoked to ride it now.

The dampening and rebound adjustment is incredibly easy to adjust and the whole install last all of 20 minutes.

I can't say enough great things about Ron at Washington cycle works here in Nj. Super stand up guy, gave me a great deal and walked me through the entire set up process because I'm a noob with this stuff. I'll be going back there for pretty much everything moving forward.

I may save my pennies for the 30mm ohlins drop in for the front fork but for now I'm completely content with the ride. The front pogos a bit for me mostly on declining turns but the bike is so much more planted than it was before. This is the best money I've spent yet on the bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
He's undoubtedly out riding :cool:
That's no excuse! I'm sure he's got a tablet, or a smartphone, or an internet cafe somewhere close enough to keep us posted.......you just can't depend on anyone these days! :cool:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts