Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the YA335 Ohlins rear shock on my fz09. I am reading the manual, watching videos. and i am trying to adjust the rebound dampening which is basically the black knob at the bottom where you can turn it with your hand and hear the clicks. The ohlins shock is alreayd installed on the bike.

I want to know which way is open and which way is closed? And does having it open mean that the rebound is less (meaning the shock will rebound slower)? The manual says to turn the black knob counterclockwise if you looking at it straight on to have it open (which means the shock is rebounding slower?)?? The knob has 30 clicks. Can you guys please let me know which way is less rebound and which way is more open? Once again i'm looking at the shock straight on as if it was right infront of me.

I"m sure this applies to all the ohlins shock and is the same principle.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If your thumb is pointing up through the shaft from the end eye/bracket, then turn in the direction your index finger is pointing. That is how I read the instructions for my Ohlins shock. All turns should be gentle.

If in doubt, try the extremes. Do count clicks to be able to recollect your original position.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes turning the knob counterclockwise all the way up is less dampning. Once it stops clicking turn the opposite way is considered out. Was this shock sprung to your weight? It should have came already set up for your weight and riding style. And it should say in the instructions how many clicks out for your setting

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes turning the knob counterclockwise all the way up is less dampning. Once it stops clicking turn the opposite way is considered out. Was this shock sprung to your weight? It should have came already set up for your weight and riding style. And it should say in the instructions how many clicks out for your setting

i hope so. I actually bought it from a store on ebay and there is a little card that came with it that said my height, rebound clicks compression clicks etc etc but he left it blank. Other than his word that he sprung it for my weight.. i have no other way to check. My friend helped me adjust some settings on it and we adjusted the preload (but now i'm thinking maybe we shouldn't), and the rebound clicks is so easy to manual adjust is that we played aroudn with it.

So turning the know counterclockwise looking straight on at the shock is less dampening? This means that it will rebound slower right?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your thumb is pointing up through the shaft from the end eye/bracket, then turn in the direction your index finger is pointing. That is how I read the instructions for my Ohlins shock. All turns should be gentle.

If in doubt, try the extremes. Do count clicks to be able to recollect your original position.
Ok so if i'm looking straight on at the shock that means i am turning it counterclockwise. If i'm turning it fully counterclockwise am i lessining the rebound or maxing the rebound(rebounds super fast)?

·
Registered
176 Posts
From the left side of the bike,<oposite the exhaust> turning the knob on the right you close the circuit ,harden the dampening.From fully closed,Carefull when you reach the last click don't put much force,I have mine open counterclockwise 14 clicks.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Just remember .. Righty Tighty....Lefty Loosey ..so looking at it from the rear counterclock wise is less clockwise is more !

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Opening the adjustment (winding it out) is reducing damping and the rebound will be quicker. Damping means slowing the response of the spring.
Check it for yourself by bouncing the rear of the bike at fully closed and fully open. Never force that adjustment knob.
My previous Ohlins was adjusted by clicks from fully closed.

Reactions: shamrock

·
Registered
237 Posts
When you ordered the shock what information did you give them? When I bought mine there was a page directly from ohlins that asked you a bunch of questions about yourself like weight , where you mostly ride( street or track) how aggressive you ride weight with all your gear, how often you ride pillion and their weight. If you didn't fill this out I'd be afraid that the spring isn't even sprung for your weight. JUST SAYING. That's where you need to start off. Good luck.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From the left side of the bike,<oposite the exhaust> turning the knob on the right you close the circuit ,harden the dampening.From fully closed,Carefull when you reach the last click don't put much force,I have mine open counterclockwise 14 clicks.
ok so turning the knob to the right and closing it means faster or slower rebound?

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
Ok, my head is hurting....let's simplify this and make it easy. Imagine that you are looking at the Clevis end of the shock, with the shock held straight out in front of you.....horizontally...Not VERTICAL. When you are holding it in the correct position, the Clevis end is closest to your face (eyes). The eyelet end of the shock is pointing directly away from you....just like pointing a pistol....the barrel end is pointing away from you (the eyelet end) and the Clevis is closest to your face (the hammer end of a revolver). In this position, if you turn the rebound adjuster CLOCKWISE, you are closing off the amount of rebound that the shock will have. If you turn it COUNTER-CLOCKWISE, you are opening up the rebound oil circuit so that more oil well flow through it....thus allowing more rebound action. So CLOCKWISE is a slower to react from a bump (slower to rebound). COUNTER-CLOCKWISE is faster to react from a bump (faster to rebound). Hope this helps clarify.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, my head is hurting....let's simplify this and make it easy. Imagine that you are looking at the Clevis end of the shock, with the shock held straight out in front of you.....horizontally...Not VERTICAL. When you are holding it in the correct position, the Clevis end is closest to your face (eyes). The eyelet end of the shock is pointing directly away from you....just like pointing a pistol....the barrel end is pointing away from you (the eyelet end) and the Clevis is closest to your face (the hammer end of a revolver). In this position, if you turn the rebound adjuster CLOCKWISE, you are closing off the amount of rebound that the shock will have. If you turn it COUNTER-CLOCKWISE, you are opening up the rebound oil circuit so that more oil well flow through it....thus allowing more rebound action. So CLOCKWISE is a slower to react from a bump (slower to rebound). COUNTER-CLOCKWISE is faster to react from a bump (faster to rebound). Hope this helps clarify.
YESSS THANK YOU!! FINALLY somebody who can explain it clear lol....

it's so confusing when people are talking about it when looking at it from differet directions... and clockwise/counterlcowise/, closed/open, faster/slower.. omg my head hurts now too..

anyways thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
It's not that hard. The adjustment is threaded, nearly all threads go anticlockwise to loosen.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
YESSS THANK YOU!! FINALLY somebody who can explain it clear lol....

it's so confusing when people are talking about it when looking at it from differet directions... and clockwise/counterlcowise/, closed/open, faster/slower.. omg my head hurts now too..

anyways thanks for clarifying.
You're welcome...glad I could help!

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
It's not that hard. The adjustment is threaded, nearly all threads go anticlockwise to loosen.
The only problem with that is, Which way is CLOCKWISE?....looking from the top of the shock downward.....or looking from the bottom of the shock upward. My explanation took out any variables and explained the exact way to visualize the adjustment knob.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only problem with that is, Which way is CLOCKWISE?....looking from the top of the shock downward.....or looking from the bottom of the shock upward. My explanation took out any variables and explained the exact way to visualize the adjustment knob.

lmao I agree! When you were prob writing up your reply you thought of every damn situation. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
OK, I didn't account for modern people. When I did my training we looked at the item directly then worked out which way to turn it.
I bet they get seriously screwed up with jar lids.

Reactions: JM00JM
1 - 20 of 30 Posts