Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which base shock is better Ohlins or Penske ? I ride street no track days. About the same price so which one is better?

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
.....Or the cheaper ZX10 Spring found on eBay for $69-149...???

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Ohlins are more race oriented than Penskes. Unless you intend to compete in organized road racing...I'd choose the Penske.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Which base shock is better Ohlins or Penske ? I ride street no track days. About the same price so which one is better?
For my money, if you are comparing the Ohlins to the Penske 8900E then the Ohlins is a better product as it is a proper De Carbon shock. As such it will give you better, more repeatable performance with less fade.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have the ohlins and love it. It has nothing to do with racing or not. It's a great quality shock that performs very well on the road.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Penske, buy American! (I love the 8983 on my Hawk GT.) Plus Penske will rebuild your shock at the factory for a very reasonable price.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
That's kind of like asking which is the better choice....Ford or Chevy.... Toyota or Honda! Buy the one that works for you....cost, availability, etc.

Reactions: DreamFZ

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
They are both great shocks manufacturers ....buy whichever one you can, you wont be disappointed with either one

but if you happen to want the Penske..shoot me a PM, I have one for sale pretty cheap....:)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Either option will improve your enjoyment of the bike so much, it really matters very little which one you choose. Pick the one you can get local support on.

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
957 Posts
Based on the research I've done the Ohlins will offer better performance but at the cost of having a much narrower range of adjustability. So it's take a little of one to get a little more of the other. If you want the best of both worlds though you have to step up to the remote reservoir Penskes.

Honestly though they're both such massive improvements over stock you'll be happy with whichever one you get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.