• Andreani/Bitubo/Mupo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Just came back from my evening (45 minute) ride along a route a take quite often, so I was able to get a good comparison between the Ohlins and stock front suspension.

Now lets get one thing straight. I'm not a pro driver, and most of my experience with motorbikes comes from motorcross. So don't take the below experiences as the unmistakable truth, it's just my opinion about the Ohlins vs stock cartridge. Furthermore these 2 cartridges are the only ones I have driven on the mt-09, so I cannot compare it to the Andreani. Also I have only driven it for a few miles, so I need to dial it in to perfection over time. So that was the disclaimer, here are my thoughts:

- First thing you notice is that (obviously) the brake dive is gone. I'm not going to hand this down to the Ohlins cartridge because I think I could achieve this by installing just the stiffer springs.

- After the braking is initiated, it feels a lot more predictable, and I think that surely is down to the superior damping provided by the Ohlins compared to the stock. The front wheel is just sticking to its line and its not searching and "uncertain" anymore (I can't think of a better word than uncertain while describing this).

- It keeps on staying planted when steering into and through the turn. you just know better what the front is doing.

- On very bumpy roads with large potholes, it is less comfortable. Which off course is down to the stiffer springs, but now the front wheel isn't bouncing around. it's one stroke, and then its planted again making it a lot more predictable and less nervous.

So, the million dollar question: is it worth the money?
I don't know. I very well notice the differences and I'm very very pleased with the results. And I think that when I'm completely uses to these cartridges, and had to go back to the stock ones, I won't go out for a drive as often as I did. Just because I know what I was missing.
But, if a cartridge kit get you 90% of the performance of the Ohlins for 50%, I think it's not a bad deal at all. and that's the question starting this threed, and for me remains unanswered until I get the chance to try out a more budget cartridge kit. That being said I don't have any remorse for going with the Ohlins, everything just feels just really really good, and all the parts are top quality, and I like that. furthermore the installation was really easy as well.

Hopefully this helps some of you guys out there thinking of buying this kit!

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Out of interest, what is the rider sag with those stiffer srpings?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The biggest difference I noticed between stoltecs FPK (single leg) in my 2014 and the nix 30 in my 2017 is brake dive.
With the stoltec FPK, I needed to change the MC to get rid of the last of the brake dive. I could modulate braking better, so was less stress on the comp damping.
The ohlins, no brake dive. I will still change the MC, but it is not as urgent.

The best you've ridden is the best you know. Bang for your buck, IMO its the stoltec FPK, but the ohlins is much better, for a much bigger cost.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts