Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohlins NIX 30 Street or Andreani?

I'm aware that there are tons of threads about suspension but I can't find the answer to this question.

So I know this maybe sounds like a weird dilemma but let me explain.

I bought a '14 mt/fz09 and changed the tock rear shock quickly to a Razor R (I'm 80kg/176lbs without gear and like to drive sporty on twisty roads). I chose the Razor because after reading this forum I noticed the general opinion is that the Razor performs at 90% of the more high-end rear shocks. So I thought I couldn't justify the extra money.

But with the fork cartridges this still remains a bit unclear to me. So, is the Ohlins NIX 30 Street kit worth the extra money over the budget Andreani/Bitubo jbh/Mupo caliber 22. Even if its only €250 better than the budget options, I'm willing to spend the extra €500. But if the difference is very marginal, I think I'll go with the cheaper cartridges.

PS: I'm planning on keeping on to this bike for at least a few years, and then maybe replace it with the current mt-09, so I will be able to take my upgrades with me.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
515 Posts
If your only options are those 2 then I'd go with the Ohlins. Nearly everything I've read says that the Andreani carts are too stiff for normal street use and it seems like people were only happy after having them re-valved. I haven't read anything bad about the Ohlins kit - but that could be because not very many people have them.
I've never used either and will openly admit to being a complete idiot on all things suspension so my opinion is based solely on the re-regurgitated opinions of others.

I also have a razor-r, how do you like your so far? What spring rate are you running?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your only options are those 2 then I'd go with the Ohlins. Nearly everything I've read says that the Andreani carts are too stiff for normal street use and it seems like people were only happy after having them re-valved. I haven't read anything bad about the Ohlins kit - but that could be because not very many people have them.
I've never used either and will openly admit to being a complete idiot on all things suspension so my opinion is based solely on the re-regurgitated opinions of others.

I also have a razor-r, how do you like your so far? What spring rate are you running?
Well all options are still open, but i pretty much narrowed it down to these 2.

As for the Razor-R it’s exactly what i was looking for. The rear end feels much more solid now.. i can take speedbumps at 80kph without being jumped around!

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
515 Posts
I'm going to intentionally hijack just a little bit.....would you mind sharing what spring rate you have on your shock and what your static (no rider) and rider sag figures are for the rear?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm going to intentionally hijack just a little bit.....would you mind sharing what spring rate you have on your shock and what your static (no rider) and rider sag figures are for the rear?
Ohh boy i dont know. I ordered it and had it set up via my suspension guy i know from my motocross years and it felt perfect. I can try and measure.. spring rate is 10.7kg/mm

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I have Andreanis and they're quite good. But they have a stiff high speed comp circuit which I'm getting redone now.
If cash was no object I'd get the Ohlins.

Reactions: Keef

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input. My conside
Unless you are getting a great deal on the Ohlins, since you have the K-Tech Razor-R, why not get the matching K-Tech IDS20 Fork Cartridges ?
Thanks for the input. My consideration is that because the price gap between the k-tech and the ohlins is relatively small, i might just get a 30mm cartridge instead of a 20mm. But it’s hard because not many people have the driven them both so a good comparison isn’t really there..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have Andreanis and they're quite good. But they have a stiff high speed comp circuit which I'm getting redone now.
If cash was no object I'd get the Ohlins.
Thanks for your input! So id you would buy a cartridge again, with your own money, will you still go the andreani way or spend more and get the ohlins?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The nix street?? How do you like them?
Yeah, the nix 30.
My 14 model had the stoltec FPK and i thought that was brilliant. The nix 30 is much better, obviously, but its 5 times the cost.
In Aus, I got a great deal on the nix 30 so it wasn't much more than the adreani's, so i stretched my budget because, bargain.
Did i need the ohlins? No. but they are very, very nice.
With the TFX rear shock it has magically got rid of potholes. All roads are almost racetrack smooth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, the nix 30.
My 14 model had the stoltec FPK and i thought that was brilliant. The nix 30 is much better, obviously, but its 5 times the cost.
In Aus, I got a great deal on the nix 30 so it wasn't much more than the adreani's, so i stretched my budget because, bargain.
Did i need the ohlins? No. but they are very, very nice.
With the TFX rear shock it has magically got rid of potholes. All roads are almost racetrack smooth.
Thanks for the info,, i cannot find a lot of experiences with this set. I think you pushed me towards the ohlins a little bit more.. thanks $$$

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just ordered a set via sonic racing parts for €962 incl. springs and shipping.
1001€ is cost for me now... if i got it for your price i would order it too...maybe
Share your expirience when you try them.

My wife would kill me if she knew how much im spending on my other love :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1001€ is cost for me now... if i got it for your price i would order it too...maybe
Share your expirience when you try them.

My wife would kill me if she knew how much im spending on my other love :p
I will keep you guys up to date, when you create an account on sonic racing parts you get a 20% discount.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Thanks for your input! So id you would buy a cartridge again, with your own money, will you still go the andreani way or spend more and get the ohlins?
Now there's a question. Covid 19 just cost me $8K, most of it has come back, but price might rule I think.
I do quite like the Andreanis, and I'm itching to try the modified comp valving.
I'd probably talk myself into the Ohlins. I'm good at that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I will keep you guys up to date, when you create an account on sonic racing parts you get a 20% discount.
Is it cumulative? I mean now is on 15%. Never bought anything from them.... There is mental barrier for me to spend 1000+€, but for 9xx€
(with spring)...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts