Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out for a nice leisurely Saturday ride all by myself. Kind of out in the middle of nowhere on a semi twisty road with lots of long straights. As I come out of a turn I hit a long straight and get up to about 90 when all of a sudden I see a very large winged insect (pretty sure it was a wasp) crawling on the INSIDE of my visor about one inch from my left eye.

Needless to say while I was in the middle of freaking out two plans of action came to mind.

1. Slow down pull over and open my visor and risk getting stung while in the process.

2. Open my visor immediately and get this thing the f*%! Out of my helmet now.

I went with option two which caused the visor to rip off my helmet. I slowed down, turned around, stopped traffic from running it over and got it from the middle of the road. Surprisingly there were only two minor scratches on the visor near the left side. Was able to put it back on the helmet with so far seems no problems. Helmet was an Icon Alliance.

Looking back on the situation, I think I could have stopped in time to simply open my visor and let the insect out. Conversely, if it had decided to sting me, the sting would have been very close to my eye and who knows how I would have reacted or been able to control the bike while at that speed. I'm just lucky that things worked out the way they did and I learned a lesson or two. If a bug is inside of your helmet and you're going pretty quick, hold onto your visor when you open it!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
OMG. How the F did it get in.......??????

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I see a very large winged insect (pretty sure it was a wasp) crawling on the INSIDE of my visor about one inch from my left eye.
Lol, yeah, that's like the special effects in a bad late 1950's sci fi movie where they try to make a real bug or lizard etc look like it is the size of a house.

Hard to think straight at a time like that but go with option one, besides what happened when you did #two I'd be concerned that the wasp would be blown back into your face and sting you anyway.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol, yeah, that's like the special effects in a bad late 1950's sci fi movie where they try to make a real bug or lizard etc look like it is the size of a house.

Hard to think straight at a time like that but go with option one, besides what happened when you did #two I'd be concerned that the wasp would be blown back into your face and sting you anyway.
I swear that bug was the size of a house! And yea option one would have been much better. Will do that for sure next time if it happens lol

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
For option two, if you turn your head to the side first the visor should stay on. Of course, to stay looking at the road you can't turn your head very much, but usually it's enough. Had it happen on my third ride of 2012... luckily too on a straight stretch. Glad it turned out well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well I had ...

I had a bumble bee sting me on the tip of my nipple repeatedly doing 70 MPH years ago. I managed to smash it. My nipple was swollen for an entire year! :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
OP I came from an Icon Alliance. I had it for three years. But when I bought this bike (my first brand new one) I went with a Shoei. I got the rf-1200 (matte black). And I can promise you the visor would have never moved in that situation on the Shoei. Also, wow, what a difference the airflow is. Really keeps your head cool. It is also lighter, and the stock screen is fog proof with the insert.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I had a bumble bee sting me on the tip of my nipple repeatedly doing 70 MPH years ago. I managed to smash it. My nipple was swollen for an entire year! :color: :cool: :color:

Swollen nipples aren't necessarily a bad thing, as long as they both match:cool:

Reactions: Mothy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Man..I have had that happen to me once before too, I did exactly what you did, flipped my visor up and thrashed my hand between my visor and helmet in the hopes that it would get the wasp out. It worked, Gah still gives me goose bumps!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts