Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I searched on here and found little info scattered. One of the first mods on all my non-pavement machines are grips and is always a great upgrade. I have large hands and a thicker grip really helps with control and fatigue. Arm pump is no fun. I have ODI Rogue lock on grips on my other machines and like Oury grips as well. What are you guys running on your motorcycles, and what do you loke about them? Since I am upgrading bar ends, mirrors and levers, I figured now would be a good time to do grips as well. Hopefully we get some useful info in here.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Acerbis grips...silicon material...light tan in color... soft... nice

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using Rizoma grips. Nice looking and high quality.

They look cool. Do they get uncomfortable on longer rides being made out of metal?

Acerbis grips...silicon material...light tan in color... soft... nice
Are these thicker in diameter than OEM? How many miles do you have on them so far; do they seem to be wearing well?

·
Registered
418 Posts
+1 for the Pro Grip Superbike grips. Have them on my R1 for about 2 years, and put them on the FZ the same day I got it home. Very soft gel and a huge improvement over the OEM grips.

Reactions: dfir

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good info guys, I was looking at the Superbike grips too. Is the diameter larger than OEM? That's one of the features I'm looking for. On all my other machines I like a thicker grip. Thin grips seem to create arm pump for me.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Pretty much the same diameter as stock. Not sure you can really get bigger diameter grips without bigger diameter bars though. Do all of your other machines have the same diameter bars as the FZ?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think so, 7/8" diameter bar on the ends? None are motorcycles tho, quads and jet skis so they use different style grip. I've never replaced grips on my street bikes before.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Good info guys, I was looking at the Superbike grips too. Is the diameter larger than OEM? That's one of the features I'm looking for. On all my other machines I like a thicker grip. Thin grips seem to create arm pump for me.
you can go to a tennis shop and get some "grip wraps" to make the diameter (and color) any size you want... The material is almost like a cushion and doesn't slip.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I used to get horrific arm pump when I was doing MX or XC on my quads. So bad one time that I had to stop during a GNCC race to bend my arm against a tree for pressure to try to get the cramp in my forearm to go away. Didn't work and had to DNF the race. Then an older MX guy told me to take 2 aspirin before I ride and that would eliminate it all together. Since I took his advice I do it every time I race or ride anything.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Aspirin also increases bleeding if you have an injury. Everyone is different, but if you are getting arm pump street riding you are probably gripping too tight.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I got oxford heated grips. They are standard size so I got a pair of those slip-on cushy covers something like grip puppies over the oxfords. So now my grips are a bit bigger than standard.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Keep the info coming guys. I may actually try several pairs before settling. I know how much difference the right grip makes...

I'm really thinking about trying Oury's road grip, I used to love them on the quads;

Motorcycle Oury Grip Road | MotoSport

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have both Renthal single compound diamond pattern grips and Progrip Superbike 699 grips. I sometimes switch them out but generally stick with the Progrips.

ANY aftermarket grip is going to be an improvement over stock in virtually all ways. But they do have areas they perform better in vs. each other. With these two, the Renthals were very soft and sticky, but are still just thin pieces of rubber. They do nothing to quell any vibes that might creep up through the engine. The Progrips are meatier with a layer of gel padding inside. They do a lot to quell the vibes and just feel better in my hands for daily commuting/long trips. I can definitely see switching to the Renthals for a track day though.

It's important to understand when buying grips that you don't need to spend any more than $10-$15 on a pair of good grips. There ARE grips that cost up to $50 yes but what you're paying for with those is aesthetic only and carries no functional purpose.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts