Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're finally getting summer like temps and have a dry forecast this weekend so I'm getting up early tomorrow and riding down to the States to have Nels tune my FZ :cool:

I've had my Akra carbon since November and it runs a little rough and backfires using the P.O.S. PCV.. Can't wait to rip that thing out and get the smooth power of a 2 Wheel Dynoworks tune. (BTW I didn't mean to say anything bad about the PCV, in fact I'll be selling mine after tomorrow :p)

I'll post some photos if I remember to take some..

Reactions: Steve101

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Nels does some great tuning for the FZ-09 and many other bikes. A ton of his business is actually dealers sending their customers bikes to him. He also does alot of work for some major raceteams.

He was instrumental in helping Flashtune with eh FJ-09 and recently released the very first FJ-09 tune with great success, putting out an extra 7 HP. He also proved that changing exhaust alone without a flash actually drops HP a bit.

He is on really good terms with Flashtune too.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nels does some great tuning for the FZ-09 and many other bikes. A ton of his business is actually dealers sending their customers bikes to him. He also does alot of work for some major raceteams.

He was instrumental in helping Flashtune with eh FJ-09 and recently released the very first FJ-09 tune with great success, putting out an extra 7 HP. He also proved that changing exhaust alone without a flash actually drops HP a bit.

He is on really good terms with Flashtune too.

Enjoy!
Yeah he says I should expect 120+ hp at the wheel since I have an un-baffled Akra carbon and I only use Chevron 94 octane for fuel. Should be quite the little monster after I leave his shop. I'm just getting ready to go now it's about 150 miles each way, so I'm sure my ass will be sore tonight:pottytrain2:

Reactions: DTM74 and Steve101

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you post the dyno graph when you get it? 120+ to wheels would be great.
He won't be putting it on the dyno, that would cost much more, he will just use an existing proven map and then adjust it for my octane number. He told me he has tuned over 400 FZ-09's and he expects the hp to be 120 or more with my exhaust and fuel combo.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Interesting. I'm interested in knowing how it goes also. Might be taking mine over towards the end of the summer.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I got down to Nels shop at about 12:45pm yesterday and he said I would have to wait for a bit since he had a few bikes to deal with ahead of me. I chatted to one of his guys for a bit, they are all really pleasant and knowledgeable people. Within 45 minutes it was my turn, they were done in a short time and I headed off back home up the i405. The difference is huge compared to the PCV I had before. The power is much more linear and way less abrupt at low rpms. The engine braking is still there but much less on/off now the bike slows down gradually and makes a pleasing sound as it decelerates. I didn't have any backfires or pops after the flash was done. Lastly the bike has noticeable power gains especially at higher rpms.

It was a long day of riding all by my self and my body feels wrecked today having done over 300 miles yesterday but I'm very glad I did it. Nels is super helpful and down to earth and he really knows his stuff. He also runs a 4 wheel car dyno from another shop near by so I may take my Mitsubishi Evo X down at some point and get it tuned as well.

Here's a photo of my bike just before I left his shop:

image.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts