Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got one last ride over Ortega highway this weekend and dropped the bike off at Racetech this morning to let them work their magic. They are going to use it for R&D and will develop a new rear shock based on their G3-S and will be gutting and replacing all of the internals of the forks. I'm losing it for a couple weeks but it should make for an amazing difference when I get it back and I will report the results when I do. In the meantime I pulled the ECU this morning before I dropped it off and will be sending it off to be flashed today (heads up Stoltec, incoming). So I'm slumming it on the ER-6n for a while and I'm sure I'll be shaking like a junkie jonesing for a fix by tonight.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I didn't want to say anything until I had them in hand but, I had them do my forks. They actually used my forks to evaluate what they may need/have for springs and gold valves (Very similar to your R&D tech for the rear shock). They are slated to arrive tomorrow; full report to follow.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, so it's your fault I couldn't get the cool R&D discount on the forks. I see how it is.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I will have to dry my tears by ripping through the canyons in 80 degree Southern California weather while you shovel snow. :cool:

Did he just go there?
Yes he did!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Can't wait for the ride report, buddy of mine has a mint 91 Honda F2 that he ended up adding a Penske shock to with Racetech emulators up front - really nice setup.

RichP, how many miles did you log with the stock suspension stuff before sending it out?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only had it for 2 weeks so I just hit the 600 mile mark. As soon as I get it back it gets an oil change where it will be introduced to synthetic and higher revs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Better than Christmas!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got the bike back last week and was able to take it for a decent ride on Sunday https://goo.gl/maps/xO3wm and put it through it's paces. The difference is nothing short of amazing, the bike feels so well planted in every turn. I can afford to be a bit more aggressive going into corners due to the ability to go hard on the brakes and then back on the throttle without completely unsettling the chassis. Palomar has some rough pavement going through some of the turns which provided an opportunity to test how it good it is at keeping the wheels to the ground and it was confidence inspiring. One of the other nice benefits (I suppose not everyone will see it as a benefit) is that it doesn't want to point the front up to the sky every time you get on the throttle exiting a corner which is fantastic when exiting a right hand sweeper and immediately have to dive into a left. All I can say is if you can only upgrade one thing on this bike, make it the suspension, nothing else will provide a more significant and positive change in this machine. Don't get me wrong I love wringing the maximum amount of HP out of my machines just like everyone else but if that power is not usable what's the point?

Reactions: FZ09Jeff

·
Registered
659 Posts
Finally got the bike back last week and was able to take it for a decent ride on Sunday https://goo.gl/maps/xO3wm and put it through it's paces. The difference is nothing short of amazing, the bike feels so well planted in every turn. I can afford to be a bit more aggressive going into corners due to the ability to go hard on the brakes and then back on the throttle without completely unsettling the chassis. Palomar has some rough pavement going through some of the turns which provided an opportunity to test how it good it is at keeping the wheels to the ground and it was confidence inspiring. One of the other nice benefits (I suppose not everyone will see it as a benefit) is that it doesn't want to point the front up to the sky every time you get on the throttle exiting a corner which is fantastic when exiting a right hand sweeper and immediately have to dive into a left. All I can say is if you can only upgrade one thing on this bike, make it the suspension, nothing else will provide a more significant and positive change in this machine. Don't get me wrong I love wringing the maximum amount of HP out of my machines just like everyone else but if that power is not usable what's the point?
Excellent to hear (Although I am a bit jealous that you are able to test ride your set-up before me :) )

Any photos of the new shock?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Im waiting for stoltec cartridges hopefully soon hip surgery coming soon would be nice to have the hike ready

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: skooter65

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2014-02-19 01.02.52.jpg
And 1 more.

Reactions: skooter65

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Having the preload on the top on top does complicate things somewhat if I decide to drop 50 lbs. or if I ever sell the bike and the sag needs adjustment but for now I should not need to mess with it. I did have the forks done as well but it was just new springs, valves, and shim stacks so nothing looks different from the outside other than the fact I don't have the preload cranked all the way down.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just got my race tech springs and compression and rebound valving, I WAS going to put it in this weekend but my Triumph dropped a valve so I dont want to run the risk of being without a bike if I run into a snag.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts