Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So to me the rear mirror are kind of like big ears making the bike look like a bmw or some sort of touring bike and less like a sport bike that is comfortable to ride. I had an idea to remove the mirrors, shave 1/2-5/8" off the threads as well as getting a new nut to thread onto the mirror. In doing this it would lower the mirrors bringing them closer to the bike and making the bike look sleak and less like an FJ. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF THEY HAVE TRIED THIS BEFORE I CUT UP THE THREADS ON MY MIRRORS?

Possible down falls
You can no longer see on the other side of your arm/ shoulder haha.

You can potentially hit the mirrors with ur fits every now and then.

I would like to know if this works out well. Ultimately I think it would save ppl from buying bar end mirrors if it does.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I actually put extension nuts in the arm section to move the mirrors out a bit further so I can nearly see behind me now.
If you are going to do this, the vertical threads are Left & Right handed, depending on which mirror you are on. The LH thread has a groove around the nut

·
Registered
957 Posts
Mirrors are one thing I don't mess with no matter how they look. They are there to do a job and anything that might interfere with that job is bad.

·
Banned
739 Posts
I saw this one guy's CBR once that had a rear view camera. The screen was on the tank. Now that's really hating your mirrors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So to me the rear mirror are kind of like big ears making the bike look like a bmw or some sort of touring bike and less like a sport bike that is comfortable to ride. I had an idea to remove the mirrors, shave 1/2-5/8" off the threads as well as getting a new nut to thread onto the mirror. In doing this it would lower the mirrors bringing them closer to the bike and making the bike look sleak and less like an FJ. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF THEY HAVE TRIED THIS BEFORE I CUT UP THE THREADS ON MY MIRROrs
I put the mirrors off of my KTM 530 on the bike the mirrors are right-hand left-hand thread so I tapped mine image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
The KTM's arelarger I can see around my arms and have a clear view of what's behind me on both sides

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Reactions: Fishboy1

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
. I put the mirrors of my KTM 530 on my bike one is a left-hand thread so I had to retap the mount
Brother! Where the heck are you in this pic?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Georgetown califorina it was on the shady side of the mountain was two tracks in the snow was about a half a mile long Wasn 't supposed to be any snow

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Before seeing the post by Dr R about positioning the stock mirrors I bought some $200 Rivco mirrors which wound up giving me the same view as the stockers. By positioning the stock mirrors as vertical as possible the view behind shows all of the lane directly behind and a great deal of the lanes on either side. I also made sure the mirrors were perpendicular to the centerline of the bike so they were at their widest placement and not swept backward like the bars. I've ordered some motorcycle specific stick-on convex spot mirrors and will put them in the portion of the stock mirrors that still show my elbows so I can see the blind spots.. It's hard to describe, but I still see my elbows but the rest of the mirror shows way more of what behind with it tilted upward. Give it a try and props to Dr R.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I guess this will completely depend on the size of the rider and whether or not your using the stock handlebar, but the factory mirrors showed me my own shoulders, I added the SV Motech mirror extenders from twisted throttle and now if I move my body a bit I can see behind me. as a point of reference, im 5'10", 250lbs, with broad shoulders

1 - 14 of 14 Posts