Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I wrecked my bike not too long ago and my bike has been in the shop for the past few weeks. They are telling me the gas tank won't come off back order until March 12. Is there any other option other than OEM for a tank? Obviously it would change the look a bit, but are there any other options? Appreciate any feedback. I cannot stand waiting until March to get my bike back.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've wondered about this too, just to increase fuel capacity. Would an FZ8 tank fit? It would surely change the looks, not necessarily in a bad way.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Did you puncture the tank? I've ridden on several bikes in the past with bashed in tanks. Sorry you crashed. Hope you are alright.

Daniel

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you puncture the tank? I've ridden on several bikes in the past with bashed in tanks. Sorry you crashed. Hope you are alright.

Daniel
Thank you. Perfectly fine. Not a single bruise luckily. I was wearing full gear and my normal jeans which were just scratched up. No, it's not even that bad. Just two slight dents, not punctured. I thought it was kind of crazy not to just knock it out.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The tricky thing about the 09 tank is what you don't see, the huge air box that the tank has to fit over. Fitting another tank would almost certainly mean modifying the air box, and that can be a hassle to get right.

Use the dinged tank until you get a new one. Even after you get the new tank keep the old as a spare, or someone else might want it. For the right price and shipping I might want it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thank you. Perfectly fine. Not a single bruise luckily. I was wearing full gear and my normal jeans which were just scratched up. No, it's not even that bad. Just two slight dents, not punctured. I thought it was kind of crazy not to just knock it out.
A good custom bike shop could either pull the dents and repaint it - or use that tank as the base for a taller custom tank with more volume.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Was the bump in the road so severe it took you out, or did the rebound after the bump take you out?
The re-bound on the OEM units is poorly controlled IMO, and could be a factor
Before you ride it again, make sure you turn the rear shock screw all the way in and turn the fork screw almost all the way down.
Try that bump again - at lower speed of course - see if that helps.
If it does, consider a complaint on the NHTSA website and check the box for injury. Vehicle Owners | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (its not just for cars)

Short and simple:

Had a hell of a bounce coming around a corner and it decided I wasn't worthy to be on it anymore.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Was the bump in the road so severe it took you out, or did the rebound after the bump take you out?
The re-bound on the OEM units is poorly controlled IMO, and could be a factor
Before you ride it again, make sure you turn the rear shock screw all the way in and turn the fork screw almost all the way down.
Try that bump again - at lower speed of course - see if that helps.
If it does, consider a complaint on the NHTSA website and check the box for injury. Vehicle Owners | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (its not just for cars)
Yes, the rebound is what got me. I'll be sure to have that done. I mentioned having the suspension adjusted when I dropped the bike off. One guy told me pretty much exactly what you said, with different words.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
First, tell the shop to put the old tank on it so you can ride. Then go by some stickers to cover the damage.

Second, glad you were not hurt and you were wearing the proper gear!

Third, have you thought through what caused the accident and how to avoid the mistake(s) you made or at least what you could do to improve your riding?

Crashing sux!

Crashing and not learning anything from it is just dumb and does not bode well for your future in riding.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
First, tell the shop to put the old tank on it so you can ride. Then go by some stickers to cover the damage.

Third, have you thought through what caused the accident and how to avoid the mistake(s) you made or at least what you could do to improve your riding?

Crashing sux!

Crashing and not learning anything from it is just dumb and does not bode well for your future in riding.
I used stickers, and i wear the dings with pride. Not the best way to bond with the bike, but it's been a lot of fun putting her back together and modifying along the way. I only replaced with stock when i had no choice and if i could i repaired it. The 09 looks nothing like it did originally, but i know almost every part of her. I may get the tank fixed and repainted someday but i doubt it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Have you had custom tank work like that done? About how much does it cost?
I've removed mount points from one tank and welded them onto another myself to mount a different tank on a bike (more than once) - but I've never reshaped a tank. I've known 2 or 3 people that modified their tanks themselves - but I don't know of a shop that did it. I'd guess $300 to $400 for the mod and $200 to $300 for the solid color repaint. You want to make sure they put in a slosh barrier.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Lots of tanks have been modified to be smaller (sprint) and larger (endurance) for racing.

I recall a time back in the late 80s in Formula USA racing, there was a few Yoshimura GSXR 1100s running nitro methane and they needed 6-7 gallons to go 20 laps (50 miles).

I've looked at modifying the FZ09 tank and there is no space under the tank but it could go up an inch or two

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Crashing sux!

I'd take the tank and keep the dents. It wouldn't bother me, except for the fact insurance is paying to fix it all. It would be a waste for me to not let them pay for as much as possible. It's just this wait that is going to kill me. Lessons were learned.

My new gear has been bought and is just staring at me now.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts