Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Odd noises at idle when cold? First with dead motor?

So I was sitting there letting my bike warm up before leaving work this evening and noticed what I can only describe as chirping or what I'd imagine a rod bearing going out would sound like. Once it was warmed up I didnt really notice it, though it does sound like the bike makes a fair bit of noise in general at idle.

Details:
Bike is like 2wk old, got about 450 mi on it. I've done the whole varying engine speed engine braking, etc... I've been pretty easy on her, and always used good gas etc.

What I had a suspicion it was, was those smog valves that people block off with block off plates... do those things make noise at idle when cold at all?

update, it was doing this today after a 30mi ride (so hot).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as in something wrong, or a low mileage bike cold at idle might just make those sounds... I guess it could have also been something to do with running in neutral... I my ducati makes a dragging sound when running in idle (thankfully not the clanking)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm Ive heard tick on occasion... wasnt too worried about it... this was like a chirp... chirp chirp chirp.. give it a couple twists of the throttle... nothing after that that i could hear

I was concerned about oil level... but didnt see the little oil window on this bike

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I fired it up this morning and it was about 50f outside, and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary... a bit of a tick for first few seconds after startup, which I'm not concerned about... so maybe this was a fluke thing.

·
Registered
651 Posts
hmmm Ive heard tick on occasion... wasnt too worried about it... this was like a chirp... chirp chirp chirp.. give it a couple twists of the throttle... nothing after that that i could hear

I was concerned about oil level... but didnt see the little oil window on this bike
I think I know what you are talking about.It's a longish warble/chirp occuring about once a second at idle and goes when the oil gets warm.The frequency corresponds to one rotation of the cam chain.
My bike started doing it after the dealer changed the oil at the first service.I changed the oil at 200km and used a cheap automotive 20w40 to run until the first service.It did not make the noise while this oil or the factory fill was in the engine.
To me it does not sound like the rattles associated with an overly loose cam chain,so I'm not too concerned but am monitoring it for changes.
The dealer used a "wonderful motorcycle specific oil" from Belray.These oils are generally pretty average and will be going to a HDEO (Chevron DELO400 15w40) at the next oil change. In my experience HDEOs make most engines run smoother and quieter.

·
Registered
651 Posts
What I had a suspicion it was, was those smog valves that people block off with block off plates... do those things make noise at idle when cold at all?

Anything at all sound outta wack with this video?
You could be onto something here.I have never heard of them making a noise but they are reed valves like the reed in a wind instrument,so the potential is there to make a noise.And this noise is somewhat like a toot.
I'll see if i can find the air feed from the airbox to the valves and pinch it off.If this stops the sound,that will be what it is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok, now I am a bit more concerned... got a better video of the sound =(
This was hot after a 30mi ride. again approximately 450mi on it...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd suggest the common cam chain tensioner failure, they can go in a few hundred miles or a few thousand miles...but they ALL eventually go! My 2015's first cam chain lasted ~500mi, got replaced by the dealer under warranty, that lasted me another 3K, then I swapped out to an APE manual cam chain tensioner...problem solved!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine sounds like his videos but it has to be warmed up and it’s not as loud as his. I have the 2017 I thought they had the updated version. I also thought if the tensioner was bad it would cause a tapping sound not a warble “gallop” lope kinda noise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any updates on this?

I recently acquired a '14 FZ09 and I am getting a loud chirping noise at idle when cold. Definitely not the cam chain tensioner.

This is my third FZ09 and none have sounded like this.

I am doing an oil change and will report back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
sounds like a exhaust leak in the video. maybe previos owner had a aftermarket exhaust and dident change the gasket when he changed back

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
sounds like a exhaust leak in the video. maybe previos owner had a aftermarket exhaust and dident change the gasket when he changed back

Thank you, I actually put the stock exhaust on myself and re-used the gaskets. I will order new gaskets and see if that helps.

I also just changed the oil with part synthetic but it didnt help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you, I actually put the stock exhaust on myself and re-used the gaskets. I will order new gaskets and see if that helps.

I also just changed the oil with part synthetic but it didnt help.
it’s so funny that your nickname ”avgas” means exhaust in swedish haha

·
Registered
45 Posts
Any updates on this?

I recently acquired a '14 FZ09 and I am getting a loud chirping noise at idle when cold. Definitely not the cam chain tensioner.

My xsr900 makes the same noise with oem exhaust and the two brothers exhaust before and after also wen im on or of the clutch the noise is there..
Im hoping after a tune i can get it fixed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Any updates on this?

Mine had the same noise. Replaced the cam chain tensioner with an APE manual adjuster and it hasn't returned since.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts