Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that my oil light indicator will come on sometimes when I first have the bike out on the road. Every time I have stopped to check the oil, the light stays out after that (there is plenty of oil). This has been since the 1000km service, it's now filled with Yamalube non-sythetic. I've read that non-synthetic oil foams and can trigger oil lights. Ideas?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm curious what everyone will say...is it during spirited riding? Normal cruising? After its warm? Do you have too much oil in? I only ask because i had too much oil in one of my cars and the light came on...then the rear main seal went. When you check the oil in the window, do you check it immediately after stopping because that could make it hard to tell.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I'm sure you probably know this already, but it bears repeating here when checking oil level on the bike. Make sure that the bike is exactly straight up and down. If you can't balance it by yourself (it's possible with a bit of practice), have someone hold it level for you while you are down at sight glass level. Another word of caution about checking oil level.......sometimes if a motorcycle is placed on a set of pit stands, both front and rear, the oil level will be inaccurate. It happens every time on my 600RR. I haven't tried it on the FZ09, but it might happen on it too, I just don't know for sure.

One more thing.....if you try to balance the bike and check your oil level by yourself, make sure that the sidestand is down. That way, if you do lose the balance point and it starts to fall away from you (you are on the right side of the bike of course), it will not fall over; the sidestand will catch it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I've always used Syn oil in all my other bikes and never had that happen. This is my first Yamaha street bike though. Haven't gone to syn in my 09 yet but will next oil change, only at 1,200mi now.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I personally would take mine to the dealer and notify them and have them look at it. More than likely it won't do it for them, never does, but at least they will have the issue logged in their records if there is ever any future issues resulting from this concern.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I personally would take mine to the dealer and notify them and have them look at it. More than likely it won't do it for them, never does, but at least they will have the issue logged in their records if there is ever any future issues resulting from this concern.
Yeah, that is a good point. It's on non synthetic since you are supposed to run non-synth for the break-in period, hence the yamalube. And yes I have checked the oil correctly, it's fine. That is a good reminder about keeping the stand down if you check the oil by yourself.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yeah, that is a good point. It's on non synthetic since you are supposed to run non-synth for the break-in period, hence the yamalube. And yes I have checked the oil correctly, it's fine. That is a good reminder about keeping the stand down if you check the oil by yourself.
Oh my bad, read your OP wrong, thought you said synthetic. Yes break it in with standard petroleum oil. Either way I would take it in, for the record.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The thing a lot of people don't seem to know is that the oil light on this and a lot of other Yamahas is not a low pressure indicator but it is sensing low oil level. Just about all other manufacturers use a pressure sensor. The bottom line is that if you know your oil level is ok and your bike doesn't burn oil, you can ignore the light completely. Some Yamahas have had oil lights that come on under some conditions, when the oil level is ok. Maybe some of the 09s are like this, mine hasn't done it yet. I think the only thing the level light would be handy for would be if you never checked your oil level ever, or if the bike suddenly came down with a huge oil leak while riding.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thing a lot of people don't seem to know is that the oil light on this and a lot of other Yamahas is not a low pressure indicator but it is sensing low oil level. Just about all other manufacturers use a pressure sensor. The bottom line is that if you know your oil level is ok and your bike doesn't burn oil, you can ignore the light completely. Some Yamahas have had oil lights that come on under some conditions, when the oil level is ok. Maybe some of the 09s are like this, mine hasn't done it yet. I think the only thing the level light would be handy for would be if you never checked your oil level ever, or if the bike suddenly came down with a huge oil leak while riding.
This is good to know. I really think this comes down to the type of oil they put in the bike (non synth) at the 1000km servicing. I also noticed that over the weekend for the first time there was some runoff from the draining pipe directly below the oil meter, and since then the light hasn't come on. So perhaps they put too much oil in / it was foaming and triggering the light. Either way, tonight I took it out and it didn't come on once, so I think it has resolved itself.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I also noticed that over the weekend for the first time there was some runoff from the draining pipe directly below the oil meter, and since then the light hasn't come on. So perhaps they put too much oil in / it was foaming and triggering the light.
This can't be good, can it?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hate to reopen such an old post, but this has been happening to me lately as well.

It happens when I'm on my way to work in the morning, but not on my way home.

I'm guessing it has to do with how hard it's being pushed and how soon.

When I leave in the morning, after letting it warm up, I spend maybe 5 minutes under 50 mph, and then I hop right on the highway and go 65-80. That is when the light comes on. Sometimes it stays on for a while, and other times it turns off as I'm taking my exit.

When I leave work I probably spend 10 minutes under 35 mph, and another 10 minutes under 60 mph. Then I hop on the highway and go 65-80. No light.

I'm guessing it has to do with the time before getting to such high speeds, and maintaining the high speeds, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My first two oil changes never had this happen but they were with standard petroleum moto oil but my last (3rd) change the oil light did come on about 3 miles down the road and I got freaked. By the time I looked back down for another glance it was already out and hasn't come back on. This last was my first change to syn oil so maybe it just tricked the bike out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I changed my oil last weekend with some good old dino-oil....

Before any oil snobs comment. I filled the bike with the amount on the side (2.4L) as I forgot to check the manual before I started the oil change. Took a blast out onto the highway knowing the oil was half way up the sight. Got up to 90~ and the oil light came on. Pulled over and attempted to check the oil on my own and saw nothing (probably didn't have it tilted all the way). Went home and filled the bike with another 500mL and the light hasn't come on since...

I also noted that there are ridges on the oil sight that I assume are low/high marks. Halfway up the sight seems to be the level of the low mark. After seeing that I probably got the level up to 75-80% of the sight. All in all it was like 2.9L and I will continue to use this amount.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
This happened to me to, same symptoms as whistle.
As mentioned, mt09 is oil level, not oil pressure. Turns out it is just really sensitive. After my first service, same as whistle, but in kilometers because we Aussies have evolved to used metric.
I had a different yamaha shop look at it, with mechanics I trust more than the dealer I bought it from. Checked out fine, they refilled it with oil right to the full level, not just almost full like it was before.

It has been fine since then the MT is just sensitive and needs to be right on the full mark.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
From what i understand, the oil level sensor likes it high. So if you keep it af the top of the window you should never see it. I came from a long line of bikes that only required the oil level to be between the lines. This Yamaha seems to demand a specific level. Pain that it is, I would give it what it wants.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My 90 FJ12 likes it full, all the way to the top..... Just like my FZ.

·
Registered
156 Posts
My Vmax has the oil level sensor at the front of the bike. Thus heavy acceleration sets off the oil light as the oil is pushed to the rear. I use it as an "accelerometer"!
I haven't looked at the FZ09 but I bet you're seeing the same thing. Ensure your oil level is at the proper mark in the window and then when you see the oil light blip as your blasting around town SMILE!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I changed my oil last weekend with some good old dino-oil....

Before any oil snobs comment. I filled the bike with the amount on the side (2.4L) as I forgot to check the manual before I started the oil change. Took a blast out onto the highway knowing the oil was half way up the sight. Got up to 90~ and the oil light came on. Pulled over and attempted to check the oil on my own and saw nothing (probably didn't have it tilted all the way). Went home and filled the bike with another 500mL and the light hasn't come on since...

I also noted that there are ridges on the oil sight that I assume are low/high marks. Halfway up the sight seems to be the level of the low mark. After seeing that I probably got the level up to 75-80% of the sight. All in all it was like 2.9L and I will continue to use this amount.
The oil capacity on the side does not account for changing the oil filter. Read your owner's manual, it is 2.85 quarts with a filter change.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Same issue.

I have had my oil light come on at a very low RPM briefly. It has done it several times. I am running Yamaha semi-synthetic because my dealer said I needed to for my warranty. I'm certain I have the correct fill level. If it was going to come apart it would have already done so for I will hit the rev-limiter in first, second, and third thereafter. :color: :cool: :color:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts