Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*********UPDATE**********
The hard start when warm condition has been remedied by bypassing the CA evap canister system. Apparently when the fuel tank gets warm either from the sun or radiant engine heat, gas vapor pressurizes the system which causes the engine to flood when the bike is started. My explanation of the problem could be better, but the bottom line is that the CA emissions system is the cause of the hard start/flooded engine problem.

You guys have any trouble with stalling or hard starting? Yesterday, I went to blip the throttle for a downshift a couple hundred feet before a corner, and to my surprise it stalled! Got it started mid corner (no, not by popping the clutch ;) ), and continued on without trouble. Come to think of it, it stalled like that once before- during the first couple days of owning the bike. Got back to the office, and had to leave again 30 minutes later (I love getting paid to ride around and do service calls), and this time it didn't want to start right away; had to crank it for maybe 5 seconds or more. Even then it kind of sputtered to life.

Read here that someone had premium gas do this to theirs (which I am running in it), so next tank will be mid or regular just to see.

It has 400 some odd miles on it now, so coming up on first service, which should include throttle body sync. I was hoping to do the 600 mile oil change myself, and save a couple hundred bucks but maybe the throttle bodies need synching by someone who has the tools to do so?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I had a hard start issue once, I rode for 90 miles parked it for 1.5 hr than tried to start and it would just crank. On the 5th try it finally started. That is the only time that happend to me. It had 1400 miles when it did it too me. Never did throttle sinc but I did my own service and its very easy.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Filled the tank this morning with mid grade gas from a different station. Rode home for lunch and let it sit for 30 minutes, went to start it up and had to crank it again for a while before it sputtered to life. Almost like it's flooded. Weird.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Synching the TBs smoothed out my idle a bit and also the on/off throttle transitions. I doubt if it will affect a stalling/starting issue though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have done 2400km, and just yesterday,blipping the throttle on down shift, it stalled. It happened twice. MMMMMM?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got 800 miles on mine and had 2 occasions where it had to turn over excessively before starting. Both when engine was warm. I could have sworn I smelled fuel both times. Just as though it was flooded. Seems idle a little slow too now.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Filled the tank this morning with mid grade gas from a different station. Rode home for lunch and let it sit for 30 minutes, went to start it up and had to crank it again for a while before it sputtered to life. Almost like it's flooded. Weird.
Is it not the spec 91 oct. If so be careful what u put in it

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only put 91 in it, with the one time exception where I wanted to see if 89 would change the way it starts. It didn't. Either did turning the key on with the kill switch in either position (in an apparent attempt to trick the fuel pump into priming differently), my fuel pump primes when the kill switch is flipped from off to on, or when the key is turned on with the kill switch in ON position. So it isn't that. Tried getting gas from numerous stations. Different brands, too. Same deal.

Only does it when it's warmed up to about 190F, shut off for maybe 20 minutes, and then restarted.
A few weeks ago, 4 riders on FZ-09s went on a ride in the mountains together and all four bikes did the same thing after getting to the bottom of the mountain and stopping to shoot the breeze.

There's some talk that California emissions may be behind this...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I mean, using a lower octane fuel will only increase your likelihood of an engine knock. If you're using an octane that's too high, you could potentially see symptoms akin to those of a flooded engine. I would guess you need a valve adjustment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had the same issue with my ninja 300 but not on normal riding. During trackdays when the weather is warm I have issue with hard starts after a session. Kawasaki issued a recall for the ECU which I think Yamaha will do at some point if this is a ECU issue. I guess it should be expected with a brand new design. The engineers cannot for see every problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is for the MT. There is another way with a wire mod, but I don't know how as I can access through the dash/key method. The method you may need is described on the net somewhere I have seen it. To access Co/Diag menu. Hold down both select/reset buttons. Turn key so dash comes on. Keep holding till diag appears. Press select to show Co. Hold down both buttons and 1 will appear. If you press select it will run through 1 then 2 then 3 cylinder. On each of these hold down both buttons till 0 appears. Now you can play. Once done on that cylinder press both buttons and repeat for all.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
In my area I can get non ethanol gas that is 90 Octane or Ethanol gas that is 93 Octane. Which would be better??

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
In my area I can get non ethanol gas that is 90 Octane or Ethanol gas that is 93 Octane. Which would be better??
Well if it were my decision I would get 90 because it has no ethanol which as we all know isn't the best thing for any engine. Also 90 is closet to 91 than 93.

Bob for those of us not in the eastern half of the US, 91 is usually the highest available.

I know there are exceptions but it has been my experience in my navy travels that that 93 is common east and 91 west.

FYI I am from Montana, I have been stationed in VA, FL, MS and now CA and I have driven to each new command and all the travel has been since late 2012.

Now hopefully all the disagreement responses are quieted, even though knobby is in Idaho u believe lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There's some talk that California emissions may be behind this...
This is the prevailing theory. Problem seems to only be afflicting CA Emmision models.

I've not had the bike stall on me, but I've experienced the hard starting issue.... of course right after giving copious amounts of shit to the person I was riding with about the Consumer Reports study recently released naming Yamaha as the most reliable motorcycle brand, and BMW the least (they ride a BMW).

And then BOOM.... my brand new bike won't start. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
This is the prevailing theory. Problem seems to only be afflicting CA Emmision models.

I've not had the bike stall on me, but I've experienced the hard starting issue.... of course right after giving copious amounts of shit to the person I was riding with about the Consumer Reports study recently released naming Yamaha as the most reliable motorcycle brand, and BMW the least (they ride a BMW).

And then BOOM.... my brand new bike won't start. Ugh.
I will agree with this. I removed my canister, and so far 1500 miles later I have yet to have difficulty starting the bike again.

I removed it and routed both tubes from the gas tank off of the bike on the left side, and plugged the tube(s) running from the throttle bodies. No issues so far.

I will note that I plan on registering the bike in Montana next time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 88 Posts